Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Teaching Qualifications

Re: Teaching Qualifications

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    My answer is that there is noting wrong with being qualified. But there can be something wrong with being unqualified.
    IMO it is not only is the qualificiation/training of the teacher important but the quality control that goes with the class. In this respect I think Ceroc scores. If you go to Ceroc night you know what you are going to get in general. A reasonably taught class, a venue that is at least adequate and generally a DJ that will play at least tried and trusted sounds backed up by a franchisee that has made an investment in the business.

Regarding non Ceroc teachers and venues I would go to are based on the reputation of each teacher or venue individually and not the qulaification of the teacher. For instance, I have no hesitation ingoing to Le Surrey, Jag Jive or Ijig events.

Therefore I think your search for an answer ended before it started. Ceroc have been there, got the T Shirt and doing a good job. For independents to do as well they will have to provide a better service or they won't survive.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
    a troll with scraping knuckles that grunts incoherently
    I think I've been to his class.

However, that is different when you take into account all partner dancing. Thankfully most partner dances are taught by qualified teachers.
    Not really, Ballroom and Latin, have a system for this I understand.
    Salsa, Lindy Hop, Argentine Tango - has anyone refused to attend any of these classes before you look at thier teaching qualifications?

One thing you need to consider when reading the responses of people posting stidently on this thread is that those shouting the loudest and throwing up smoke-screens and vague accusations are teachers who hold no qualifications - of course they are going to say that qualifications aren't needed. And, of course, us qualified teachers, who value qualifications are going to disagree with them.
    Well, I for one, have said I am not "qualified" in terms of bits of paper, but I consider myself "qualified to teach" due to experience and ability.

I do know that I could gain a written qualification with little effort, due to my experience and ability, but I choose not to at this time, as I do not have a high regard for written qualifications.

This does not mean I have no regard for " high quality", I respect teachers that teach well, and if they teach exceptionally well, I would be the first to go up to them later and thank them for delivering such a good lesson and for teaching so well.

My answer is that there is noting wrong with being qualified. But there can be something wrong with being unqualified.
    Although there is nothing wrong with being qualified, to use this to say one is somehow better than someone else does not sit right with me.

I am qualified in computing, I have a well recognised B.Sc Hons in computing... that does not make me any better at teaching , building or fixing computers than my friend with no formal education in computing, who is far better than me when it comes to computers.

So yes, I do not value pieces of paper, not because I can not attain them, but because I would prefer to see a day to day demonstration that one can do what one sais they can do.

As you know Andy, this is not a personal slight on you in any way, in no way would I, or do I, show or feel, any disrespect for you, it is just my opinion, and that is what the forum is about, gathering opinions.

It is of course your right to disagree with me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Well, I for one, have said I am not "qualified" in terms of bits of paper, but I consider myself "qualified to teach" due to experience and ability.
    You've kind of proved Andy's point there though haven't you?

I'm sure that the awful teachers that we've experienced consider themselves "qualified to teach due to experience and ability" too; otherwise they wouldn't be doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    So yes, I do not value pieces of paper, not because I can not attain them, but because I would prefer to see a day to day demonstration that one can do what one sais they can do.
    So really, what might overcome that issue is some kind of framework for a minimum standard of teaching plus regular vetting/assessment?

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    So really, what might overcome that issue is some kind of framework for a minimum standard of teaching plus regular vetting/assessment?
    I think this could be a way forward.

My initial thought is to simply find out what happens with Ballroom and Latin American Teachers. They could have a tried and tested method and I'm all for adopting something that's well proven.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

One thing you need to consider when reading the responses of people posting stidently on this thread is that those shouting the loudest and throwing up smoke-screens and vague accusations are teachers who hold no qualifications - of course they are going to say that qualifications aren't needed. And, of course, us qualified teachers, who value qualifications are going to disagree with them.

As im in no doubt that was aimed at me I'll reply...

I have done an award in dance leadership which was a 5 day course and more recognised in the dance world than a Leroc one.

Can I also remind Andy before he moans anymore about unqualified teachers, He was one for several years. !!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    As im in no doubt that was aimed at me I'll reply...

I have done an award in dance leadership which was a 5 day course and more recognised in the dance world than a Leroc one.

Can I also remind Andy before he moans anymore about unqualified teachers, He was one for several years. !!
    Lee
    What was this course and what organisation does it come under.

Andy
    Having you qualification from Leroc, what does it mean for the paying punter in terms of musicality, dance technique.

Are all these things taught in all your classes.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    Lee

It's done in units

1. Running and planning a dance activity
    2. Health, Fitness and safe dance practise
    3. Communication Skill for dance activities
    4. Understanding Music
    5. Understanding differences in dance and scope.
    6. Creating dance pieces
    7. Demonstration of leadership.

the course should be available through the sports and activities section of all local councils (or at least most) and is really cheap (£30 I paid). It lasted 30 hours over 5 days (though I think it can be done in 3)

At the end you are assesed on running a class of around 30 dancers.

It's run by the british sports trust (Sports Leaders).

Would recommend it to all teachers. The downside is you have to be over 14years old to do it meaning that there are alot of youngsters on the course (me being the oldest by about 10 years!!!) and it's not partner dance specific (mainly street) but each area or class you do it in may be different.
    Last edited by Lee Bartholomew; 4th-March-2010 at 07:30 PM.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by from Old Email
    Learning Outcomes and Assessment Criteria
    Unit 1 - Planning, preparing and assisting a simple dance activity
    On completion of this unit the candidate must demonstrate competence in the following areas:
    Learning Outcome 1: Planning and preparation of a simple dance activity.
    Assessment Criteria: To achieve a pass grade a candidate must show they are able to:
    a. Know what information will be needed in order to plan an effective session.
    b. Be able to find information and research topic before running the session.
    c. Understand the structure of a simple session and how the content will change with age/ability of participants.
    Learning Outcome 2: Running a simple dance activity whilst under close supervision.
    Assessment Criteria: To achieve a pass grade a candidate must show they are able to:
    a. Prepare and use equipment for activities that are safe and appropriate for the relevant age and ability of the participants.
    b. Select and use appropriate facilities/area.
    c. Organise and manage participants before and during activities.
    d. Show appropriate flow and pace from one activity to the next to maintain the participants' interest.
    e. Demonstrate an appropriate and safe ending to the session including clearing away of equipment.
    Learning Outcome 3: Evaluation of each dance session.
    a. Explain simply, what went well, what did not go so well, and what could be improved for future sessions.
    Learning Outcome 4: Planning future sessions taking into account self/peer evaluation.
    a. Demonstrate that by evaluating each session, the planning of future sessions can be improved.

Unit 2 - Basic communication skills for leading a dance activity
    On completion of this unit the candidate must demonstrate competence in the following areas:
    Learning Outcome 1: Knowledge and basic proficiency through dance activities in order to show:
    a. Verbal communication.
    b. Non-verbal communication.
    a. Demonstrate the ability to communicate clearly with participants using a range of verbal and non-verbal communication skills.
    Learning Outcome 2: Communicating with groups and individuals involved in dance activities.
    a. Demonstrate the ability to communicate appropriately with groups and individuals in a dance context.

Unit 3 - Principles of health, fitness and safe dance practice
    Learning Outcome 1: Factors which prevent individuals taking part in health related dance and exercise.
    a. Explain simply the range of factors which may prevent people taking part in physical activity.
    b. Describe if and how it may be possible to overcome these issues.
    Learning Outcome 2: The effects of diet, smoking, alcohol and age on the maintenance of a healthy lifestyle.
    a. Explain simply the importance of a healthy lifestyle.
    b. Describe the effects that diet, smoking, alcohol and age can have on a healthy lifestyle.
    Learning Outcome 3: The importance of conducting a warm up and cool down.
    a. Understand why, and be able to demonstrate the ability to lead a warm up and cool down.
    Learning Outcome 4: Lead a routine that promotes health related dance and exercise for a group of people whilst under supervision.
    a. Take part in the planning and delivery of a basic health related dance and exercise session.

Unit 4 - Understanding the relationship of music to dance
    Learning Outcome 1: Create rhythms and sounds through a variety of methods eg Percussion instruments, clapping, stamping and mouth music etc.
    a. Produce a simple rhythm using a variety of different methods.
    Learning Outcome 2: Recognise basic phrases of music.
    a. Recognise a phrase within a simple piece of music or rhythm.
    Learning Outcome 3: Demonstrate rhythmic awareness during the performance of a simple dance routine.
    a. Keep in time with the rhythm during the performance.

Unit 5 - Understanding the scope of opportunities in dance
    Learning Outcome 1: On completion of this unit the candidate must demonstrate knowledge of the range of local agencies and facilities that offer dance activities to the community.
    Learning Outcome 2: Awareness of the dance related courses of study that are available to you either through schools, dance agencies, governing bodies and other associated agencies.
    a. Understand the range of courses available and identify organisations, which offer the opportunity to continue/further develop your leadership skills.

Unit 6 - Creating, developing and assisting with the performance of a simple dance piece
    Learning Outcome 1: Create a simple dance piece from an idea, stimulus or starting point both for self and peers.
    a. Explain simply what a stimulus or starting point could be.
    b. Understand how to develop a stimulus to create a simple dance motif.
    Learning Outcome 2: Create a movement phrase or motif for a dance piece.
    a. Create a simple movement phrase or motif from a stimulus and use within the creation of a dance piece.
    Learning Outcome 3: Develop variations on a movement phrase or motif for a dance piece.
    a. Understand how to create variations of a simple movement phrase or motif and use them within the creation of a dance piece.
    Learning Outcome 4: Awareness of the Four Elements of Dance: Actions, Space, Dynamics and Relationships as considerations in making a dance piece.
    a. Understand how each of the Four Elements of Dance could affect the performance of a simple dance piece.
    b. Be able to use aspects of the Four Elements of Dance within the creation and/or performance of a simple dance piece.
    Learning Outcome 5: Improve the performance of a dance piece through practice and self/peer evaluation.
    a. Demonstrate that by evaluating a routine, candidates can improve upon the performance of a dance piece.
    Learning Outcome 6: Assist in the performance of a simple dance piece.
    a. Take part and work cooperatively within the performance of a simple dance piece.

Unit 7 - Demonstration of leadership skills in dance
    Learning Outcome 1: Candidates must organise a number of dance sessions, ideally using a variety of dance disciplines for their peer group or lower age group.
    a. Complete a minimum of one hour of leadership experience using the skills and experience gained from units 1-6 whilst under the direct supervision of your Tutor/Assessor.
    Need 5 characters here to post
    Last edited by Lee Bartholomew; 4th-March-2010 at 07:29 PM.

Commercial Operator

Andy
    Having you qualification from Leroc, what does it mean for the paying punter in terms of musicality, dance technique.

Are all these things taught in all your classes.
    I constantly slip in tips on dance technique and musicality. However, you need to know those things before you're taught how to teach. It's a bit like being a French teacher - when you become a French teacher they don't teach you the language.

However, they do examine you on things like musicality and technique when you do the exam. Again, I guess they speak to you in French when they assess your ability to teach the language.

The Dashing Moderator

Lee
    I'm guessing from Lee's response that it's this one.

It looks like it's a qualification that's nationally recognised too.

(With apologies to readers outside England - the education system in other UK countries is different, especially in Scotland, and I'm not sure how to tell whether or not this particular qualification is included.)
    Love dance, will travel

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post

thats the one.

The Dashing Moderator

The certificate, which I have propped in front of me has been granted by the LeRoc French Jive branch of the UKA. I think we need to claim UKA qualifications rather than LeRoc qualifications. It's the UKA that are accredited as an examining body, etc.
    Who are they accredited by? The UKA website (assuming I've found the right one?) isn't exactly the most informative I've ever seen...
    Love dance, will travel

Commercial Operator

(With apologies to readers outside England - the education system in other UK countries is different, especially in Scotland, and I'm not sure how to tell whether or not this particular qualification is included.)
    There are some useful things in that course but to be honest, I've never heard of that qualification...the UKA however is internationally recognised.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Doyle View Post
    There are some useful things in that course but to be honest, I've never heard of that qualification...the UKA however is internationally recognised.
    The Leroc exam does not mean you have passed a UKA exam, it simply lets you be a MEMBER of the UKA for free, rather than paying a membership fee if you don't have the leroc exam.

The UKA is one of MANY ways to get an NVQ in dance. The Leroc exam is only a dance RECOGNISED by the UKA.

I looked at setting up an associasion awhile back and contacted the UKA (not the correct details on their website btw). To do it I need to give them a description of the dance and if they recognise it as a dance form, I would need to pass a dance NVQ.

I could then do exams and offer free UKA places like leroc do. I could also appoint someone else to teach and examin students and it would still work the same way.
    Last edited by Lee Bartholomew; 5th-March-2010 at 12:21 AM.

Commercial Operator

The Leroc exam does not mean you have passed a UKA exam, it simply lets you be a MEMBER of the UKA for free, rather than paying a membership fee if you don't have the leroc exam
    That's interesting...so who ratifies the LeRoc exam?

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Doyle View Post
    That's interesting...so who ratifies the LeRoc exam?
    I'm afraid you've been completely misinformed - check your source The certificate is from the UKA and says that I have "been probed to the satisfaction of the Executive Council".

The Dashing Moderator

The UKA is one of MANY ways to get an NVQ in dance.
    I don't think there is an NVQ in Dance (not in England, anyway). There may be other NVQs which include dance as an element?
    Love dance, will travel

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

I don't think there is an NVQ in Dance (not in England, anyway). There may be other NVQs which include dance as an element?

The NVQ in dance is run by the UKA. It does exist.

The Leroc Certificate may well say what Andy says (I have never seen one) but it doesn't mean you have passed an actual UKA exam, just that you have passed an exam recognised by them, which is what I was saying.

Commercial Operator

I have done an award in dance leadership which was a 5 day course and more recognised in the dance world than a Leroc one.!
    It might be true that the course is well recognised.

However it seems that Lee hasn't done the course. Here is what Sports Leaders UK have to say.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reply from Sports Leaders UK
    Dear Andy

Sports Leaders does not have any record of Lee Bartholomew as receiving a Dance Leaders award, has a candidate or attending tutor training.

Kind Regards
    Stephanie Hedges
    Awards Administration Assistant
    Sports Leaders UK

Thread Information