View Poll Results: Is Ceroc becoming old ?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

21 44.68%
  • No.

20 42.55%
  • Not sure.

2 4.26%
  • Anyone sell me the Sword of Everlasting Cheese on WoW?

4 8.51%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Is Ceroc for old people ?

Re: Is Ceroc for old people ?

Quote Originally Posted by Baruch View Post
    One of the most active dancers in South Wales is in his seventies, and he's rarely off the floor all night. He'll dance with anyone of any age, and he really is an inspiration. If I'm as active as that if and when I reach his age I'll be happy!
    I hope to be able to as well.

One of the most active dancers in South Wales is in his seventies, and he's rarely off the floor all night. He'll dance with anyone of any age, and he really is an inspiration. If I'm as active as that if and when I reach his age I'll be happy!
    That is all very well if you are talking mainstream MJ,but with regard to my earlier post:-

Age is no barrier when it comes to MJ.But now that there is a big swing towards Blues/WCS and more expressive interpretation of music it does pose a problem to me.Much as I love the current trend of Blues/WCS,as a 66 year old,I would feel uncomfortable for my partner as well as myself,dancing with anybody that is significantly younger than me for fear that the dance would be viewed by some,and they will,as anything but sleaze.That is of course assuming that any young lady would be comfortable in that situation in the first place.

I would imagine that the guy in question would find it somewhat difficult to express himself and feel comfortable with that,bearing in mind his age alone,given the way that dance has progressed to a more UCP and personal performance almost.
    By all means tell me if I am talking out of my a**e but lets assume he is a competant dancer and was well into the blues scene.If he were to ask MiniMac(she is the only youngster I could think of) to dance a slow blues,do you think either of them would feel comfortable or would it not happen anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by djtrev View Post
    I would imagine that the guy in question would find it somewhat difficult to express himself and feel comfortable with that,bearing in mind his age alone,given the way that dance has progressed to a more UCP and personal performance almost.
    The beauty of MJ is that it is adaptable to a range of styles. Yes, UCP may be increasingly popular, but MJ doesn't have to be UCP. There are plenty of other ways to express yourself and still have fun. For the gentleman in question (and he is a real gentleman, a lovely bloke) your question doesn't even arise, as he dances how he wants to and not according to the latest trend.

The beauty of MJ is that it is adaptable to a range of styles. Yes, UCP may be increasingly popular, but MJ doesn't have to be UCP. There are plenty of other ways to express yourself and still have fun. For the gentleman in question (and he is a real gentleman, a lovely bloke) your question doesn't even arise, as he dances how he wants to and not according to the latest trend.
    I am not sure whether you have got the point of my post.
    I agree with what you say that MJ doesnt have to be UCP and I am sure he is a very nice guy and is comforable with how and who he dances with.

Blues and for that matter WCS are not a trend, it is the way dance is progressing.

I have not been dancing and DJing for as long as some of the members on this forum but I have noticed,as far as I am concerned and most certainly as a DJ, that when I started out MJ,or so it seemed to me, was very much straight and narrow.Now in order to keep up with the way dance is progressing I have to buy not just mainstream pop music(I know that is not quite the expression to use but I think you get my drift) but blues,jazz,soul,RnB,latin.In fact some of the music one has to play these days I would never have dreamed of buying never mind playing.

Anyway back to the original point of my post.If you dont want your man in my little scenario lets put me in there instead.Lets assume that I am a competant MJ dancer who has embraced the move towards blues/WCS.I feel sure that I/MiniMac would feel uncomfortable for each other to interpret the music fully as we would like to purely because of the age difference.It just would not look right.
    Given this particular scenario I think that perhaps there are times when I feel that Ceroc(MJ) is not for old people.

keeping in mind I'm middle aged rather than old I can see that in a few years I will probably dance with fewer young dancers (teens and early twenties).

But, if they ask, I certainly will not turn them away.

At the moment I am completely comfortable dancing with any and every age group.

The only time I have noticed a bit of "pulling back" is with very new beginners (first to third nighters) and then I will give them a bit more space for the remainder of the dance. The Hallelujah seems to be my problem one.

As far as I know no-one has ever complained about which age group I dance with and yes, there have been 14year olds and one eleven year old in there.
    Oops, don't alert the Sleaze lot to what has been posted.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Blues and for that matter WCS are not a trend, it is the way dance is progressing.
    I think it's too early to say that - you could have said exactly the same about Jango in 2005, or salsa in 2002.

I disagree. It's certainly one way the dance is progressing, but not the only way. As DJ said, it's the latest in a series of "ways the dance is progressing". One look at the average MJ night will show you that most of the dancing isn't bluesy or UCP.

I disagree. It's certainly one way the dance is progressing, but not the only way. As DJ said, it's the latest in a series of "ways the dance is progressing". One look at the average MJ night will show you that most of the dancing isn't bluesy or UCP.
    Sorry I misunderstood you.
    I only used the blues/WCS connection because it appears to me that beside MJ,blues and WCS are discussed more on this forum than the others.

Having declared that I am comfortable dancing with all age groups, I took the opportunity of asking my 16year old partner if she was comfortable dancing with us oldies, "no problem" came the reply.
    So much for that alleged Sleaze Factor of mine creeping to the surface.

Thread Information