View Poll Results: Is Ceroc becoming old ?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

21 44.68%
  • No.

20 42.55%
  • Not sure.

2 4.26%
  • Anyone sell me the Sword of Everlasting Cheese on WoW?

4 8.51%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is Ceroc for old people ?

Re: Is Ceroc for old people ?

Quote Originally Posted by woodface View Post
    they are more likely to be inspired by modern music and seeing Jamie dance

The new gen thing isn't exclusive to age either. It is imaterial. more of a way of dancing and a mind set of playing games on the floor, enjoying the music in a different way and dancing with a different passion.

Jamie is an insperation

My Joe modles himself on him

Phew! i'm glade its all about mind set and not just age i'm OK then

Commercial Operator

Nor can anyone dispute that when a young person walks in to a venue, they are more likely to be inspired by modern music and seeing Jamie dance than listing to some old obscure swing song and seeing Nigel Anderson.
    Nigel tells me that he is very handsome and that women of all ages find him attractive

Joking aside, Nigel's last girlfriend was 21 years old, fabulously attractive and a lovely person too. What she saw in Nigel was a mystery to many of us - although she did confide in me that she was in a holding pattern with Nigel while she waited for me to become available

On the subject of music. Good music is good music, no matter when it was composed or performed. However, new music has a certain attraction, just because it is new. Looking at our own classes, we have a good number of younger people in their teen and twenties. A few weeks ago we had a guest DJ who didn't play many up to date tracks. I got complaints from these younger people that the music was really old, even the "modern" stuff was very last year! I made a CD of the current chart hits for our guest DJ to use on his next visit. He didn't use the tracks arguing "there's hardly any young people here", he didn't seem at all bothered by my answer "that's because they knew you were coming and stayed away" - some of them had arrived at the venue, seen who was on the decks and stayed in the foyer chatting with their mates rather than come in

So, who is the silly one? This guy for sticking to his guns, or me for paying him to put off our customers? The difficult thing is that our older dancers love this DJs music. What would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    So, who is the silly one? This guy for sticking to his guns, or me for paying him to put off our customers? The difficult thing is that our older dancers love this DJs music. What would you do?
    Get him to play a mix - you never know, even some of the old fogies might get to like the modern music!

Commercial Operator

Lets ignore ceroc

The new gen thing isn't exclusive to age either. It is immaterial: more of a way of dancing and a mind set of playing games on the floor, enjoying the music in a different way and dancing with a different passion.
    As one of the most grown-up, mature and sophisticated people on the dance floor I can say that I am a living example of the truth of this. I'm 50 years old, but act much older. You would never catch me playing with immature dancers or even enjoying that modern pop music, it's far too loud

And don't get me started on the youth of today. Bring back national service

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Well thats just it what do you do?

Your right. Good music is good music no matter when it is from. Nina Simone is just as fresh now as it was then.

DJ's quite often seem to go for "middle ground" ie that Bongo song, Hero, Spanish Guitar, Stuck on you, Lola, etc etc. One DJ local to me wont play anything "under 1 year old because people won't know it"!!!!!!!

He has youngsters turn up to his class but they never stay for a second week. I have observed this and if he retained the younger people, then he would have a very healthy class with a very healthy age balance. Instaed it is attended by 20 sixty somethings.

One song can make all the difference in a DJ's set.

Jason played "dancing shoes" by the Artic Monkeys on sat morning at Camber. Fantastic song. Got all the youngsters up. A few of the older lot that were with me had never heard the song before and loved it to as it really wants to make you get on the floor and dance. More of that is needed for the new gen to develop and less the stuff that was played during the s**t parade 20 - 1 during the day.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

As one of the most grown-up, mature and sophisticated people on the dance floor I can say that I am a living example of the truth of this. I'm 50 years old, but act much older. You would never catch me playing with immature dancers or even enjoying that modern pop music, it's far too loud

And don't get me started on the youth of today. Bring back national service

Lol andy, After that double trouble dance with Jamie and your hatred of Circle step back and non slotted ness you are on your way to being a new gen dancer.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    Get him to play a mix - you never know, even some of the old fogies might get to like the modern music!
    I don't get complaints about modern music from the "old fogies". They seem to like a mix of ancient and modern. It's the fact that some DJs can not keep up to date with the current charts and think that 6 months or a year old is still current pop. Some pop songs are here today and gone tomorrow while other tracks become a timeless classics, for example, Build Me Up Buttercup: on the other hand, "Call on Me" is a prime example of pop that's past its sell-by date. Speaking personally, I spend about 4-8 hours a month listening to current chart music and looking for tracks that are MJable. IMHO, any MJDJ that ignores the charts will soon find himself looking out over a room of old fogies

Commercial Operator

Jason played "dancing shoes" by the Artic Monkeys on sat morning at Camber. Fantastic song. Got all the youngsters up. A few of the older lot that were with me had never heard the song before and loved it to as it really wants to make you get on the floor and dance.
    I've just had a listen to this track. Maybe I'm getting old, but it doesn't sound right for MJ. The intro lasts 40 seconds and it's about 150bpm. I suppose the good thing about it is that, at 2 mins 21 seconds, it doesn't last long

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

I've just had a listen to this track. Maybe I'm getting old, but it doesn't sound right for MJ. The intro lasts 40 seconds and it's about 150bpm. I suppose the good thing about it is that, at 2 mins 21 seconds, it doesn't last long

Yeah your getting old.

Commercial Operator

Lol andy, After that double trouble dance with Jamie and your hatred of Circle step back and non slotted ness you are on your way to being a new gen dancer.

That was a silly dance but a great laugh. I think the highlight was woodface holding Jamie upside down while Jamie had his head through my legs and did a bong drum impression with my buttocks

IMHO there is no new generation of MJ. There is always a new generation of MJers coming through though. What I think woodface is seeing is the difference between MJ being done properly and MJ being done by people who have been badly served by their teachers. Some people have teachers who can not dance properly themselves, you can almost forgive those teachers when you compare them to the teachers who can dance, teach from the stage and then ignore how people actually dance during and after the lesson. Those are the teachers who could easily be replaced by a webcast from the Ceroc MotherShip

It was played at Chill on Sunday night as I remember. It's ok-ish not brilliant. It does 'freshen' things up a bit.

I concur with Woodchip on his list of the old Ceroc cliches (as I refer to them).

The only one I would always have is Brown-eyed Girl.

Aside from that, a mix of 10 'cliches' per night is plenty: bring on the new and the rare. Did anyone play 'Young Folks' Peter, Bjorn and John) last year?

IMHO, any MJDJ that ignores the charts will soon find himself looking out over a room of old fogies
    Indeed. It's interesting to note who the regular dancers are at different venues and relate that to what the regular DJ generally plays. It seems to me that the younger dancers tend to go for DJs who play a good mix including up-to-date stuff.

I guess I've been spoiled, because Mark Wilson (our resident teacher/DJ in Cardiff) is usually pretty much bang up to date. He usually plays a good mix of old and new music, including the more recent stuff.

. Nor can anyone dispute that when a young person walks in to a venue, they are more likely to be inspired by modern music and seeing Jamie dance than listing to some old obscure swing song and seeing Nigel Anderson.
    Not sure why you think this. I sat mezmerised watching Nigel dance in the Blues room on Saturday night and when I plucked up the courage to ask him for a dance on Sunday he was really kind and made me feel like Ginger Rogers and not the clumsy oaf that I normal feel when I dance with good dancers. Although Jamie looked like a fabulous dancer he didn't come across as being as approachable and I don't think I would have had the courage to ask him for a dance in th esame way.
    Last edited by ducasi; 1st-May-2007 at 11:15 PM. Reason: fixing quote

Quote Originally Posted by Mean Jean View Post
    Not sure why you think this. I sat mezmerised watching Nigel dance in the Blues room on Saturday night and when I plucked up the courage to ask him for a dance on Sunday he was really kind and made me feel like Ginger Rogers and not the clumsy oaf that I normal feel when I dance with good dancers. Although Jamie looked like a fabulous dancer he didn't come across as being as approachable and I don't think I would have had the courage to ask him for a dance in th esame way.
    You is so wrong young Jamie is one of the most approachable people on the circuit.

Screw your courage to the sticking post and ask anyone to dance. XXX XXX
    Last edited by ducasi; 1st-May-2007 at 11:16 PM. Reason: fixing quote

.............../snip/.....Unfortunatly most MJ teachers and event organisers can not see the last 20 years and people under 30 seem invisible.

MJ will die a death unless it is revolutionised.

Had a talk with Minnie about it at the weekend. Was talking about the new generation stuff that does seem to be going on. Lot's of young talent and a compleatly different way of dancing is coming through.

No one can dispute the WCS influance that is starting to take over. Nor can anyone dispute that when a young person walks in to a venue, they are more likely to be inspired by modern music and seeing Jamie dance than listing to some old obscure swing song and seeing Nigel Anderson.

The new gen thing isn't exclusive to age either. It is imaterial. more of a way of dancing and a mind set of playing games on the floor, enjoying the music in a different way and dancing with a different passion.
    hmmm....

New, fresh and modern MJ - been thinking about this one, IMO it is all the music

However ..........

Shame Dan Slape wasn't teaching at Camber last weekend, he is young and his style of MJ it is very fresh, energetic and leans towards 'hip hop'

I have never seen Marc Forster teach standard MJ, but his style of dancing is also very different

NIgel is one of the best leads on the dance scene (note I didn't say MJ scene) he is a bit like a Heinz 57 of the dance world and is wonderful to dance with, and he makes every dance fit the music and his partner.

Jamie is a lovely dancer, no doubt about that, and if he is still on our dance scene in 10 years time I am sure if will be as versatile as Nigel but you really can't compare the two.

Shame you never met Ben Borengo

To summerise on a possible new & young approach
    IMHO the teaching of modern jive should still be the basic moves etc., possibly with a hip hop style, however, the music should be taken from the current charts as much as possible.

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Good advice, but it's not so easy to ask people to dance especially when you see so many other fabulous dancers on the floor.

What made it easy with Nigel was that I watched him be asked to dance by much worse dancers than me, he never turned them down and even looked as if he was enjoying it when it couldn't have been very entertaining for him when he's so good.

I will however take your advice and ask Jamie if I see him at another event.

this is such a shame for Jamie, he's young atractive and full of fun but so, so, approachable, I was dancing next to him in the blues room at chill, I looked over and some older chap proberbly about late 60's had him in a comb, staring into is eye's, he will dance with anyone and try and give them a fab dance, I have so much respect for him he might be 'Hot tottie' but he aint 'Hot Shot'ie'

ask him he .....like me.....only bites when there is a full moon
    Last edited by ducasi; 1st-May-2007 at 11:17 PM. Reason: fixing quote

....What made it easy with Nigel was that I watched him be asked to dance by much worse dancers than me, he never turned them down and even looked as if he was enjoying it when it couldn't have been very entertaining for him when he's so good....
    Nigel is very approachable and he makes any and every follower (male or female) feel like he is enjoying the dance as much as you are, and he always gives a great dance - that is why he is so good - but most of that comes from experience. (BTW because of this it is also difficult to get a dance )

....I will however take your advice and ask Jamie if I see him at another event.
    Do ask him, he is a lovely dancer and he wont refuse you - but I do understand what you mean as even with my many years of dancing, I still find it hard to ask some men for dances, especially the ones in great demand.

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    ........ even with my many years of dancing, I still find it hard to ask some men for dances, especially the ones in great demand.
    But I have found that, when I've plucked up my courage, they have certainly lived up to their reputation.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Because young people are young and like young stuff in general. There are really not as many young people being as impressed by the Shim Sham as there are by a good funky fresh dancer. Sure there might be one or two but in general, not that many.

I didn't ask Nigel for a dance. Was going to but he really didn't look impressed when me and Jamie danced together. His greatness must be within the dance itself and not from a spectators view point. Or maybe I just look for different things in a dancer.

Jamie will always accept a dance but alot of people fear asking him. I used to feel like that when I first started MJ'ing about asking teachers/demos for a dance. Soon got over it and realised there is nothing to worry about as a majority of them are nowhere near as good as I would have thought them to be.

Thread Information