Thread: Are forumites more poetic?

Are forumites more poetic?

After being on this forum for years, I actually found something I want to start a thread on

I've recently been visiting another forum (not dance, but pregnancy related) and have found that the standard of English and the way a lot of people articulate themselves on there is really bad! Bad grammar, bad spelling, text language and quite a lot of stuff I can't understand at all!

I was wondering whether being dancers, the forumites were more artistic/poetic souls and therefore thought it was more important to write beautifully (which certainly a lot of them do!). Or perhaps they're more intelligent?

Or maybe women that are 7 months pregnant have lost all their brain cells and aren't getting enough sleep - I could understand that one!!!

Any thoughts?

Re: Are forumites more poetic?

Quote Originally Posted by Trish View Post
    I was wondering whether being dancers, the forumites were more artistic/poetic souls and therefore thought it was more important to write beautifully (which certainly a lot of them do!). Or perhaps they're more intelligent?
    They're all scared of my awesome negative rep powers.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    They're all scared of my awesome negative rep powers.
    Like raindrops in the hot sun, your powers die.

Blog Entries

I'm sure it has been decided recently that the West Coast Swingers are all of the above with interesting hair to boot.

dancers who are willing to type and continue on discussions in a written form, more often than not have a lot to say.

I know for me, all my studies were complimentary in the arts.
    I was studying english, drama and dance all at the same time when I was at uni... I guess this is why i tend to write long posts...
    I do try to keep them short... really I do.

...I've recently been visiting another forum (not dance, but pregnancy related) and have found that the standard of English and the way a lot of people articulate themselves on there is really bad! Bad grammar, bad spelling, text language and quite a lot of stuff I can't understand at all!

I would imagine that the average IQ of MJ'ers is slightly above the national average, and the average IQ of forumites slightly above that. However if the standard of English is higher on this forum I would suspect that it is more down to the effects of the spelling and grammar police in the past.

I do tend to Wax lyrical on here and convey my ideas in a more flowery and poetic (and sometimes somewhat Shakespearian) form that I do in real life.

On the forum I have time to think about what I'm saying, write it down, read it and recompose it if needs be. I also have the benefit of spell check which cuts out 98% of my typing errors.

in real life I have a slight (some may say imperceivable) stammer which is made all the more all the more prominent if I attempt some of my more grandiose speech face to face. Plus I don't have the benefit of editing what I say.

What I can add to this thread is that on the forum I'm perhaps more of the person I would wish to be, rather than who I am, but limitations (albeit ones that perhaps only I think about and notice) in the real world curtail what I can say and do. So therefore when given an opportunity to "let it all out" I do so here.

To dance, you need an element of creativity.
    To be interested in posting/discussing I would think that reading is a 'passtime' that most enjoy.

Well read people with a sense of creativity... I think that there may be a correlation between people like that and poetic writing.

{although I'll just skip over the "spelling" thing I think }

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
    To dance, you need an element of creativity.
    To be interested in posting/discussing I would think that reading is a 'passtime' that most enjoy.

Well read people with a sense of creativity... I think that there may be a correlation between people like that and poetic writing.

{although I'll just skip over the "spelling" thing I think }
    Honestly Gadget, you your spelling is wonderful in comparison to some of the people on this other forum! I can't make sense of half of what they say!

Thinking about it, I reckon some of the difference is also age related. There are quite a few young girls between 17-25 on this pregnancy forum (lots of txt language, which I find difficult to read - perhaps I'm too old!), but generally people express themselves in a much more fluent, nice-to-read manner on here.

yeah like wot she sed. wev all got dis fing were we like speek propa here. and it's like ded wickid and all and gadget I done see no problems wif UR spellin. I fink U must be a real smart git 2 get all those words rite !st time like.

anyway.. I'f of 2 spend my giro on a new burberry cap and some lager down pub and get totally bladdered.

respek y'all

(*cough* I knew it was a bad idea to visit another forum.. this vile corruption seems to be somewhat contagious* )

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post
    ...and gadget I done see no problems wif UR spellin. I fink U must be a real smart git 2 get all those words rite !st time like.
    yea - I can get the superfluous worda right first time, it's just the rest of the damn lexicon wot I transpose and screw up.

{although I'll not dispute the "git" bit }

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    I would imagine that the average IQ of MJ'ers is slightly above the national average, and the average IQ of forumites slightly above that. However if the standard of English is higher on this forum I would suspect that it is more down to the effects of the spelling and grammar police in the past.
    So does that imply that the IQ of forumites who do not dance MJ, or who dance other things as well, is higher than forumites who dance solely MJ?

Does dancing something other than MJ delay the onset of Alzheimer's disease, I wonder? Could it be that learning foootwork, posture, leverage, compression, frame etc.etc is good for the brain cells?

Quote Originally Posted by Yogi_Bear View Post
    So does that imply that the IQ of forumites who do not dance MJ, or who dance other things as well, is higher than forumites who dance solely MJ?
    I would bet on it at evens.

Does dancing something other than MJ delay the onset of Alzheimer's disease, I wonder? Could it be that learning foootwork, posture, leverage, compression, frame etc.etc is good for the brain cells?
    Dunno. I wore mine brian cells out trying salsa and swing, and I had to go to a "Yank & bounce" workshop, and a "Don't stop when the music does" one to get my MJ back to where it was.

I have, of late, noticed a slight increase in the number of threads with less than perfect grammar.

Now it would be a severe case of the pot calling the kettle black for me to point this out. I'm not perfect and I do , on occasions, get my your and you're mixed and my colons and semi colons confused.

however I have noticed a marked increase of mobile text speech and really lazy spelling recently. Not holding that against anyone, I know the perpetrators of these crimes against punctuation and they're great dancers and wonderful people but they are among some of our younger members. (apart from Gadget, who I've known can't spell for all the time I've known him ) My nieces I've found are being taught to spell correctly at school but when at home and emailing me, they use 'txt spk' as well. This is a worrying trend. but I dare say it's a communications fad that'll die out (much like Groovy and Daddy-oh did after the swinging 60's.. except that I still utter those )

Can I just suggest that this forum uses the ieSpell plug-in. It's easy to install and it takes but a single click of the mouse to spell check a post before you send it off.

and now having said all that, no doubt the grammar, spelling and punctuation police will be forensically scanning the minutiae of every one of my posts from now on looking for things they can then use to call back to this post on.

... My nieces I've found are being taught to spell correctly at school but when at home and emailing me, they use 'txt spk' as well. This is a worrying trend. but I dare say it's a communications fad that'll die out ...
    I think that we will find that txt spk is here to stay, and we have only just seen the beginnings of it.

I must be too old. Txt spk really annoys me. Fine for texting, when you have limited space. But why use it in emails and forum posts? Especially when the majority of posts aren't in that form so you know its not the preferred style of your audience.

I'm sure some of us could write in a very 'academic' style if we chose to, but don't as it might be off putting to some who aren't used to that style.

I don't mind spelling mistakes though, I know that some posters make spelling and grammatical mistakes, it doesn't make what they have to say any less interesting to me, I simply accept it as part of them and I'd rather they posted from the heart than worried too much about the words they were using.

and now having said all that, no doubt the grammar, spelling and punctuation police will be forensically scanning the minutiae of every one of my posts from now on looking for things they can then use to call back to this post on.
    Can anyone belive this guy!!!

I mean, SHOCKING lack of capital letters at the start of paragraphs!!!

<Ness hurriedly fixes the 3 spelling mistakes she managed in that uber-short post>

I'm right there with you, I believe I'm more upset by apostrophe abuse than anyone I know......

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    I must be too old. Txt spk really annoys me. Fine for texting, when you have limited space. But why use it in emails and forum posts? Especially when the majority of posts aren't in that form so you know its not the preferred style of your audience.

I'm sure some of us could write in a very 'academic' style if we chose to, but don't as it might be off putting to some who aren't used to that style.

I don't mind spelling mistakes though, I know that some posters make spelling and grammatical mistakes, it doesn't make what they have to say any less interesting to me, I simply accept it as part of them and I'd rather they posted from the heart than worried too much about the words they were using.

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf
    yeah like wot she sed. wev all got dis fing were we like speek propa here. and it's like ded wickid and all and gadget I done see no problems wif UR spellin. I fink U must be a real smart git 2 get all those words rite !st time like.
    Yep - that's what I'm talking about!!! To be honest it's not everyone on this forum, and seems mainly to be the younger ones, but as Lynn said - why not write English when you've got the space rather than txt spk.

Commercial Operator

stuff....
    Am I the only one to correlate the findings with a higher male to female ratio on this forum?

Thread Information