Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: SLR Digital Cameras, which one?!

Re: SLR Digital Cameras, which one?!

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    Someone at camera club has a Lastolite Trigrip and it looks great - has a handle and decent size - but not cheap.

?
    they come in 3 sizes, I have the medium one, which is really too small

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post
    they come in 3 sizes, I have the medium one, which is really too small
    I think he has the larger one - he had it along at a studio night the other week and it was good.

I used it camera right in this shot (had it propped against a chair)

Luke by Lynn Stanfield, on Flickr

just add this
    and this

to my Christmas prezzie list

Yeah, they would be nice!

I'll have to add them to my Christmas list for next year though - Santa's already been good to me this year - even bringing me my D90 a couple of months early.

Was out for a walk today with my camera, stopped to chat to another photographer (with a D80) - nice how both of us having cameras was enough for two strangers to stop and chat for a few mins. And I've found since getting into photographing people (sounds better than 'shooting people'!) - a camera connects you with people.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

a camera connects you with people.
    This is very true.

Once you have a camera, you can't help noticing other people with cameras but this can also be quite dangerous, as several times I've tripped over or bumped into things, whilst being (too) nosey and trying to see what the other person is looking at through their view finder!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    This is very true.

Once you have a camera, you can't help noticing other people with cameras but this can also be quite dangerous, as several times I've tripped over or bumped into things, whilst being (too) nosey and trying to see what the other person is looking at through their view finder!
    Yeah - I was at a blues club a few weeks ago, was up dancing and saw someone taking shots of the band, I was totally distracted!

My camera club has an outing to the Christmas Continental Market in Belfast tomorrow evening. Though I might end up distracted by shopping, hot chocolate and mulled wine..

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Has anyone used Photomatix? I have downloaded the trial version, which is the same as the full version, but leaves water marks. I really like the look of HDR photos and this software seems to make it much easier to achieve than my Photoshop Elements. I know HDR is an acquired taste as it can be a very unnatural look, but I like that. Any feedback from other users of the software would be greatly welcome before I decide whether to purchase it or not.

There are a couple of photos in this album that I have tried the Photomatix on.
    Last edited by Cruella; 9th-December-2010 at 05:11 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    There are a couple of photos in this album that I have tried the Photomatix on.
    Aw bums, I couldn't look at the album cos I had a pop-up that appeared, stating that an 'expired trial version' of photomatix is on my computer and I'd have to pay to download the package, if I wanted to see it!

Anyway, from what I remember it was very good but I can create similar effects in PS CS4 so I decided not to buy it!

P.s., I like the HDR look too but I do accept, its not to everyones taste!
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Try Oloneo - I'd downloaded a trial version which expired on 1st Dec, but got an email saying...
    A new version of Oloneo PhotoEngine with new features and an expiry date set to February 1, 2011 is now available for download at: http://www.oloneo.com/en/lite/update.html?sid=b3dc9b42
    I'm guessing its free til 1st Feb as the last one was - and it doesn't leave watermarks on your images. Very easy to use HDR.

Sample image (I'm a complete beginner at HDR and still playing with it...

River from bridge by Lynn Stanfield, on Flickr

Di and Lory - loved your latest winter albums on FB.
    Last edited by Lynn; 10th-December-2010 at 12:56 AM.

I also want one that looks like a regular bag, ie looks like a handbag, not a camera bag. Good for times when I don't want it to be immediately obvious that I have a camera. So I already want two different types of bags and I haven't even got my camera yet!

http://www.capturingcouture.com/Fash...ra_Straps.html

Commercial Operator

Whilst not strictly a Digital SLR I'm very interested in getting a Panasonic GF1 (I hope santa might bring me one). Whilst not in the same class as "big boy" DSLRs it seems to be just the job for me for those occasions where carrying all the gear is just too much trouble. Strictly speaking it's not "pocketable" but it's very small (the body will fit in a jacket pocket & the lens in another). The 14 -45 mm lens is equivalent to 28 - 90 in 35 mm speak so is a nice range for everyday use & it can accept any micro 4 thirds lens (sigma Olympus & Panasonic make them). It can also accept many other lenses with the purchase of a suitable adapter (must investigate this as there are probably many great 2nd hand lenses on Ebay that would produce stunning results)

When it was launched it cost £800 but is now down to under £400 including the lens

review http://www.davidclapp.co.uk/blog/rev...landscape.html

Quote Originally Posted by clevedonboy View Post
    I'm very interested in getting a Panasonic GF1 ]
    it does look very nice but like all compacts quite a bit of shutter lag ( nearly 1/2 sec on full auto focus ) admittedly is not an issue for the landscapes David Clapp used it for

Any one know why Compact are so slow

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post
    it does look very nice but like all compacts quite a bit of shutter lag ( nearly 1/2 sec on full auto focus ) admittedly is not an issue for the landscapes David Clapp used it for

Any one know why Compact are so slow
    I agree with all the above, it sounds great. And will be good for general holiday, landscapes, pets and portraits and stuff.
    But with shutter lag that slow, getting any decent shots of dancing in low light situations, will probably be more down to luck!

Just as a matter of interest, whats the ISO range and F stop of that lens

[QUOTE=Lory;582821Just as a matter of interest, whats the ISO range and F stop of that lens[/QUOTE]

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicgf1/page4.asp

Commercial Operator

Panasonic 14-45 F3.5 - 5.6 but it is an IS lens

max ISO is 3200. It's not going to compete with the high ISO performance of your Canon though , reviewers seem to agree that it's good up to ISO 800 but that's about it for quality work. Used at say 30 mm would mean a hand hold of about probably equate to 1/15 sec before blur with the IS system at work so it would probably be quite useable in social settings.

BTW it's not the only one out there - the Olympus pen E-PL1 is basically the same sensor & system & retails for about £380 with the lens (which folds up even smaller than the Panasonic) & has the advantage of IS in the body.

Sony has also brought it's NEX range to market this year & those are tiny without any lens attached.

The Panny just has the IT factor for me over the other two - it also comes with an offer at the moment for a free copy of Adobe Elements - Photoshop & Premiere so it just strikes me as a bit of a bargain (The GF2 is coming I believe)

Just wanted to say....

Merry Christmas by Lynn Stanfield, on Flickr

Blog Entries

my £8 timelapse is working well but my editing software is letting it down badly!
    Not heard of that, what does it do?
    Sorry I missed this question. Its a programmable shutter release trigger. You can simply use it to fire the shutter or you can programme it to keep taking photo's at regular intervals etc

And since writing the above, I've now concluded that 'Quicktime Pro' works really well as editing software

Quote Originally Posted by clevedonboy View Post
    I concur with Lory about ebay - I got all of my lighting stuff off of there many moons ago at knock down prices and i'm very happy with it all.
    Talking of using budget gear, I had an idea , how about using one of THESE as a cheap backdrop? Wouldn't it be great if the grey happened to be 18% grey.

Has anyone else got any good idea?

Has anyone else got any good idea?
    I made a lightbox after seeing this
    Although I am yet to use it as I can't find suitable lights for it! I bought these clip on ones from Ikea but they are too heavy.
    Any suggestions for lighting would be greatly received.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    I made a lightbox after seeing this
    Although I am yet to use it as I can't find suitable lights for it! I bought these clip on ones from Ikea but they are too heavy.
    Any suggestions for lighting would be greatly received.
    That looks good but sadly, I can't think of what lights I'd use either

I have another idea though, to diffuse the light from a window, on a very sunny day, use tracing paper or greaseproof paper cellotaped to the frame

Thread Information