Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spinning videos thread

Commercial Operator

Re: You Tube Dance videos

Quote Originally Posted by woodface View Post
    Money where you mouth is big boy. Name 1 time I have ever had a collision.

Anywhay. What does the lady do when you (on a good day) do multi spins?
    If woodface has never had a collision it is down to the floorcraft of those around him.

If I do multi spins it will fit the music. There is not reason why a couple can't separate until the end of an 8 beat phrase. That separation would usually be 4 or 8 beats depending on when you start. It's all down to the music. But, IMHO, you need to reconnect at the start of the next 8 beat phrase. If you have travelled during your multi spin you have the embarrassing walk back to your partner and you might miss the start of the next phrase.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    If woodface has never had a collision it is down to the floorcraft of those around him.

If I do multi spins it will fit the music. There is not reason why a couple can't separate until the end of an 8 beat phrase. That separation would usually be 4 or 8 beats depending on when you start. It's all down to the music. But, IMHO, you need to reconnect at the start of the next 8 beat phrase. If you have travelled during your multi spin you have the embarrassing walk back to your partner and you might miss the start of the next phrase.
    Andy you are talking a huge hairy bunch of balls.

Who do you think is better at spinning Andy me or you? Mmmm let me think how you are going to answer that

Any forumites want to come forward and say when I have danced with them and done more than 2 spins? It does'nt happen and if it does it'[s rare.

Stop trying to cause trouble again Andy. Give advice on something you know about, like cross-dressing.

Commercial Operator

Better than what you will ever acheive my little ally cat friend.
    Anyway. Back (vaguely) to the topic at hand. I was not commenting on your dancing / spinning techniques, which (I feel) speak for themselves.

My comment based on the fact that you criticised the used of elbows in the original clip. I then linked to a clip where your own use of elbows was very similar. You then removed that one, and replaced it with another clip where your use of elbows was - again - similar.

Hence my puzzlement.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    Anyway. Back (vaguely) to the topic at hand. I was not commenting on your dancing / spinning techniques, which (I feel) speak for themselves.

My comment based on the fact that you criticised the used of elbows in the original clip. I then linked to a clip where your own use of elbows was very similar. You then removed that one, and replaced it with another clip where your use of elbows was - again - similar.

Hence my puzzlement.

Still can't rep you.

Commercial Operator

Andy you are talking a huge hairy bunch of balls.

Who do you think is better at spinning Andy me or you? Mmmm let me think how you are going to answer that

Any forumites want to come forward and say when I have danced with them and done more than 2 spins? It does'nt happen and if it does it'[s rare.

Stop trying to cause trouble again Andy. Give advice on something you know about, like cross-dressing.
    As it happens, I think that woodface's dancing is flawed by a lack of basic technique. This lack of technique runs through his dancing like the writing through a seaside rock. So, I'm quite certain who I think is a better spinner than woodface - most people who can control their spins, stay on the spot, know where there partner is during thier spin and finish the spin facing their partner, reconnecting at the correct point in the music

p.s. No, I'm not picking on woodface. I'm sticking up for myself

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Hence my puzzlement.
    Two things

A) im not saying to a class "Stick you elbows out"

and B) if you actually look, my hand are on my chest and my elbows are tucked to the minimum poss.

Finally C) Can you do any better?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    As it happens, I think that woodface's dancing is flawed by a lack of basic technique. This lack of technique runs through his dancing like the writing through a seaside rock. So, I'm quite certain who I think is a better spinner than woodface - most people who can control their spins, stay on the spot, know where there partner is during thier spin and finish the spin facing their partner, reconnecting at the correct point in the music

p.s. No, I'm not picking on woodface. I'm sticking up for myself
    Flawed by lack of basic technique? Nope Amdy, maybe It's that I have gone past basic technique and my dancing is just to complex for you to understand

What basic techniques are missing? Anyone else agree with Andy on this?

Most of my dancing is as slotted as can be although this isn't always poss to to floor space and the nature of some moves and I certainly no longer over turn ladies (unless they overturn themselves of course!)

P.s. You started it.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Flawed by lack of basic technique? Nope Amdy, maybe It's that I have gone past basic technique and my dancing is just to complex for you to understand
    Cor, I'm impressed. I'm still working on my basic technique.
    And my dancing's getting less and less complex - should I be worried?

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    should I be worried?

Yes.

Commercial Operator

A) im not saying to a class "Stick you elbows out"
    Funnily enough, nor are they. They demonstrate one solo exercise, and suggest it be tried at home - that's the one with the arms raised. When he says to raise the arms, he also says to form a 'nice circle' with the arms, which keeps the elbows in a safer position. When they switch to partner work, he keeps his elbows tightly tucked in.

Your own clip, on the other hand, involved partner work, with your elbows out.

So yes - I'm still puzzled.
    and B) if you actually look, my hand are on my chest and my elbows are tucked to the minimum poss.
    I think we might be watching different clips. I'm watching the one where, on the very first spin you do, you start with your elbows out, in full 'chicken wing' mode (painful for anyone who gets clobbered by it). As the spin progresses, you start to lean towards Coni, then start travelling towards her as the spin becomes more unstable - and she has to take a quick step back to avoid being hit.

Which one are you watching?

Finally C) Can you do any better?
    Which bit? The number of spins? The dancing? The leading? Any other aspects?
    To answer those: no, yes, yes and resoundingly yes.

I'm glad you still have a sense of irony

What basic techniques are missing? Anyone else agree with Andy on this?
    I agree with him, yes. If you really are interested in advice on how to improve, I can give a few suggestions.
    Last edited by straycat; 11th-June-2007 at 09:29 AM.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

{snip}
    Go on then Stray, Humor me.

Commercial Operator

Go on then Stray, Humor me.
    I have no intention of 'humoring' you. If you'd like decent advice, and are prepared to take it on board, and try it on for size, then I'll happily spend some time and help. This is a genuine, well-intentioned offer.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Re: Spinning videos thread

Stray, I have never seen you dance, Met you or even heard any reports on your dancing from other forumites.......... However.....

I always listen to advice from everyone from top dancers down to beginners. If the advice is good and fits in with our style of dancing then it's worth taking onboard. Ob. advice which goes against our style or doesn't work for us will be dismissed.

I don't like to think of dancers giving advice, I prefer to think of it as dancers giving suggestions.

Commercial Operator

I'll take that as a 'no' then - if you're really not that bothered, there seems little point

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

I'll take that as a 'no' then - if you're really not that bothered, there seems little point
    Didn't say I wasn't bothered.

Would you take advice from someone you have never met or seen dance?

I will certainly listen and if your advice is good then I would use it.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Stray, I have never seen you dance, Met you or even heard any reports on your dancing from other forumites
    Well, he must be useless then. I mean, if he hasn't had a glowing report from forumites, who does he think he is, huh?

I've not met or seen him dance either, but his advice seems credible to me. Similarly, I've not met David Franklin, TA Guy, or many others, but they seem to know what they're talking about.

Woodface, Andy...you are so funny when you argue
    From first hand experience,I would say you both spin beautifully
    Zara xxx

Quote Originally Posted by Zara View Post
    Woodface, Andy...(snip)
    oooh insulting AndyMG now!!!

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zara View Post
    Woodface, Andy...you are so funny when you argue
    Zara xxx

Thanks

*But I have the edge eh.

Commercial Operator

OK. One thing then - so how you go with that. Leading arm, reference is the spinning video.

The Issue:
    Occurs throughout, but focussing on one example:
    Take a look at the spinning video, around at around 1:03.
    Simple sequence of events: you take her hand, and instantly bounce your hands down sharply, straightening your leading (right) arm. You then do another, smaller hand-bounce with your arm straight, and your shoulder raised. From that position, you then do the move prep, and lead into the move.

Why is this a problem?
    • With your arm straight and shoulder locked in that fashion, your arm loses all elasticity which can help smooth out the lead, and your lead cannot help but be much rougher and more abrupt. Appearence-wise it adversely affects your posture, and hurts the look of the move. Heathwise, you're putting unnecessary strain on your back. Trust me when I say this is a bad thing - I've learn this the very hard way, and I'd hate to see others going through what I have. Coni's use of shoulders and arms, on the other hand, is really good here.
    • In the same way, you lose much of the power that you can obtain through well-connected lead. This in turn makes it much harder to keep the dance looking dynamic and exciting.
    • Those first two bounces are unecessary. I think you're putting them in the establish some connection with Coni, as they don't look particularly like beat-marking, and the more 'prep' section is already sufficient. Worse than being unnecessary though, they add unneeded 'noise' into your lead, which makes it much harder to follow. Appearence-wise - again - they look untidy.

That's probably enough to be going on with.

What you can do

I've picked a vid from your favourites list, by way of reference: . Notice the way they keep their shoulders down and relaxed throughout. As an example, take a look at 51 seconds in, where he sends her out, and brings her back - as his arm straightens, he's extending his whole body, creating this elasticity between them, which then brings her back - she's mirroring this (there's a million and one beautiful examples in this clip)

So. Pratical tips. Shoulders, shoulders, shoulders - keep them down and relaxed. Try to keep your arm more elastic - don't let it get too straight unless the move demands it, and never lock the elbow. Try to eliminate unnecessary movement in your leading arm - keep the lead clear and concise.

Sorry - I'm having to cut this short - I need to get on with some work
    I hope this is of help to you.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

See that advice is usefull.

Cheers stray.

Will have a propper look this eve at home with coni.

Thread Information