Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brain Freeze!

Re: Brain Freeze!

Quote Originally Posted by frolicols View Post
    Do all threads turn into love-ins? Not that I'm complaining, I love a good ego massage!
    No Sweetie - unfortunately it can get quite cutting on the forum.

But I try to live by the rule - if you can't say something nice - say nothing at all.

Each to their own.

Rachel
    xx

Hmm maybe I'll keep my head down in that case! Don't want to stir up trouble! :P

The girls that I come along with both work with me so we have been disappearing at lunch to have a practice in spare rooms! My yoyo is coming along nicely it seems (well I guess we'll see on Wednesday!).

I've also taken Gav's advice about adding a bit of flair to it for some fun - he seems to be the King of Flamboyance!

Hmm maybe I'll keep my head down in that case! Don't want to stir up trouble! :P

The girls that I come along with both work with me so we have been disappearing at lunch to have a practice in spare rooms! My yoyo is coming along nicely it seems (well I guess we'll see on Wednesday!).

I've also taken Gav's advice about adding a bit of flair to it for some fun - he seems to be the King of Flamboyance!
    Gav is without doubt the most flamboyant dancer upon the dance scene mate, any advice from flamboyant Gav is worth heeding. Gav is a prince amongst men IMHO.

DTS XXX XXX

Hi Frolicols,

I did and still do get brian freezes as every other person has said on here. I was once dancing and did the beginners stop and then start again, you do get out of this and like people have said do basic simple moves and ones that can take a while the basket walk around, Octopus, first move even a comb can be good for padding.

I realsied, that when I danced I used to think too much about the moves and what I was going to do next etc etc, I have managed to get a small, limited yet (I Hope) pleasant repertoire. Eventually it does become second nature and you end up switching your brain off and let the music take you away and the moves will flow.

Stop kicking yourself in the derriere, at 3 weeks I was still to scared to dance. You’re doing fine mate. Take notes from DTS and Bat girl they're good dancers.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi all, first time poster here!
    Hi Frolicols and welcome

What I want to ask is, what would you suggest is a nice "fallback" combination to do if my brain freezes?
    Good question - and you're right, it's very good to have a backup move / combo.

Personally, I'd keep it simple - when I started learning, I remember Mike Ellard suggested the "Hallelujah" move (God knows what it's called now) - as it's simple, and can be stretched out as required.

I'd also say it's never too early to start thinking about technique:
    - Are you moving on time?
    - Are you leading (not yanking) your follower?
    - Are you smiling?

Quote Originally Posted by Batgirl View Post
    (Note to DTS: the hair pull is NOT an official move)
    Well it damn well should be. The trick is to get a good handful by the root.... err, so I'm informed.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    Hi Frolicols and welcome

I'd also say it's never too early to start thinking about technique:
    - Are you moving on time?
    - Are you leading (not yanking) your follower?
    - Are you smiling?
    I think I've got these three down (probably the last a little too much). I think on the smiling front I need to tone it down a bit, I probably look like a crazed maniac!!!! Luckily there doesn't seem to be any allowance for biting heads off bats yet (or batgirls for that matter).

Blog Entries

!
    no you dont.

Welcome

Lots of good advice above - sounds like you're in the right place to get some 'hands on' encouragement
    The problem I'm having now is linking them together! I know all the moves separately. It's like I can't decide which move to do next! What I want to ask is, what would you suggest is a nice "fallback" combination to do if my brain freezes? Manspin -> Backpass? What is your fallback when your mind is elsewhere?
    "fallback" combinations; I normally use simple moves (plural is optional) that end with the same hand-hold as they start with and folks just think that I'm good at stringing moves together
    Simple ideas that work for me:

Man-spin/shoulder slide/step across. (while stepping past your partner, all you're doing is gradually raising the hand. Hardest bit is catching with the hand you've just let go of. And while your back is to your partner you can be quickly scanning the floor for inspiration from other leads)

Octpus/basket (again, it's a 'look around and catch some inspiration' move. You can do however many legs of an octopus as you want, break it with the odd basket and use the exit to start another one.)

Shoulder drop/Catapult/back pass mishmash thingie (they all involve your partner passing behind you, so you have a good excuse to look around. Don't be worried if you forget exactly which move of these you're doing - just exit like one of the other ones and you'll look like you know what you're doing.)

My most common combo just now is based on the first move, then working out every exit I can from it, and how to get back into the first move again... but I have spent years breaking down moves and putting them together again; I have hundreds of options from every count within a move - you will soon begin to see some repetition in classes and "this move is similar to that move" from this you will then begin to work out your own combos...

I think I've got these three down (probably the last a little too much). I think on the smiling front I need to tone it down a bit, I probably look like a crazed maniac!!!! Luckily there doesn't seem to be any allowance for biting heads off bats yet (or batgirls for that matter).
    Never have too much smiling Just avoid fluids leaking from the corners of the mouth

Some general advice:
    1) Don't stop. If something goes wrong, it's an improvisation you haven't mastered yet; pretend it was intentional and you'll look cool.

2) Don't be afraid to loose your partner. No gripping, no 'snatching' of hands, let them go if they are pulling you about,... the furthest your partner is going is a step away.

3) Share the movement. If your partner is stepping forward, you step forward to meet them half-way. If you are turning them, step in on the turn and step back when they do. If your partner is moving to your side, bring your side half-way towards them. Much less effort on your arms and back.

4) have fun

5) don't hurt your partner (or yourself)

The last two should really be numbers 1 an 2, but you probably know them already.

{Some of the links on my syg may also be of use.}

Blog Entries

Brain freeze comes whether your experienced or not im afraid.

Most men dancers have a set few moves they use and thats it. Full stop. Its quite rare that they change those set moves. What they might do is ham them up a bit or they might get sabotaged and that will make for a little interest but its quite normal to get used to something then not bother to change it much.

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I'm itching for it to be Wednesday night already!

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    Gav is without doubt the most flamboyant dancer upon the dance scene mate, any advice from flamboyant Gav is worth heeding. Gav is a prince amongst men IMHO.

DTS XXX XXX

Allow me to clarify my above statement afore the wrong end of the stick is grasped.

Gav is a well respected member of this Forum and an accomplished dancer. Gav is a man of few words, so when advice is offered from Gav, it would do you well to listen what he has to say. Gav is also nearly as tall as me, another reason to mark his words.

Hope this clears up any little misunderstanding anyone may have.

Bless you.

DTS XXX XXX

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

H What is your fallback when your mind is elsewhere?
    I danced with a newby guy last night (it was his 5th time) anyway, about 2 minutes into the dance he cried, "help, I'm stuck, I can't get out of this move" he was doing the one where the guy loops his hand over his head, then over the follows head, then over his head, then over my head, then over his head then.............

anyway, I laughed and said, shall I get you out of it?

So, I backlead a little exit and he said WOW, can we do that a couple of times, so I know how to do it myself?

If you happened to be dancing with a more experienced follow, just fess up and ask for help.. you might even learn a couple of new moves in the process and its far better than standing there looking like a lemon!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    I danced with a newby guy last night (it was his 5th time) anyway, about 2 minutes into the dance he cried, "help, I'm stuck, I can't get out of this move" he was doing the one where the guy loops his hand over his head, then over the follows head, then over his head, then over my head, then over his head then.............
    Ah yes, the Shoop Shoop Move

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    {psssst - if you are going to get stuck in a move loop, try and make sure at least one bit of the loop has you facing away from your partner - much more likely to find inspiration that way ... looking over their heads or peering around shoulders could be considered rude and kind of gives the game away }

Quote Originally Posted by Batgirl View Post
    No Sweetie - unfortunately it can get quite cutting on the forum.

But I try to live by the rule - if you can't say something nice - say nothing at all.

Each to their own.

Rachel
    xx
    I have a similar rule:

If you can't say anything nice about anyone then come and sit by me

Quote Originally Posted by MarkW View Post
    I have a similar rule:

If you can't say anything nice about anyone then come and sit by me
    no fair mark we all want to hear the gossip lol

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
    I did and still do get brian freezes
    What's so special about Brian's freezes?

Allow me to clarify my above statement afore the wrong end of the stick is grasped.
    To further 'clarify', frolicols was not talking about me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    What's so special about Brian's freezes?

To further 'clarify', frolicols was not talking about me.
    Good that means there is not a problem then doesn't it Gav

DTS

Ok moving on Pips as twere, me and the Batgirl sorted out some filler, thinking moves for frolicolis. He really is coming on a treat and will make a mark upon the dance scene. Well done mate you are doing it all the right way IMHO.

DTS XXX XXX

Ok moving on Pips as twere, me and the Batgirl sorted out some filler, thinking moves for frolicolis. He really is coming on a treat and will make a mark upon the dance scene. Well done mate you are doing it all the right way IMHO.

DTS XXX XXX
    Thanks Dave, I really enjoyed last night!!! I feel like I know the beginner moves now technique-wise, but need to style them up a bit! Like I said, I might give it a couple more weeks and then have a go at the intermediates!!

Thread Information