Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Superhero films!

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Superhero films!

Well, I saw Spiderman 3 a few weeks ago and FF 2 last Friday, so I thought I'd update this:

{ rant } Why is it that every third film in a superhero franchise is pants? Is it the law or something? X-men 3, Batman 3, Superman 3, they're all rubbish... { /rant }

Spidey 3 was.... well, not completely awful like X-3 / Batman 3, but it was much worse than the first two. If I had to pick out one criticism - too much. Too much storyline, plot, villains, time. 148 minutes None of the characters were badly done - but they could have completely removed the Sandman, making the film a more manageable length, without disrupting the plot at all, and allowing time to develop a few other characters who just appeared as cameos.

FF 2 was, surprisingly, OK. Better than FF 1, which admittedly wasn't hard, and with some genuine iconic moments - the first sighting of the Silver Surfer, and the shadow of the "world-devourer" over Saturn, were both great. Plus, great set-piece done by the London Eye

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Spidey 3 was.... well, not completely awful like X-3 / Batman 3, but it was much worse than the first two.
    I thought so too, David, not enough Tango and too much of that new fangled Web Coast Swing
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

What.. no V for Vendetta?

Ok.. not so much a "superhero" In the strictest sense of the word. But V fits the mold. Masked hero/anti hero righting wrongs and doing it with a certain "flair"

If you're counting hellboy I'd count V as well.

Ok so they mashed the ending of the book and moved some pretty major plot devices around.. but I liked it. and I give it a one and a half thumbs up (I had an accident making my sandwich this morning.. hence the 1/2 thumb! )

8 /10

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Spidey 3 was.... well, not completely awful like X-3 / Batman 3, but it was much worse than the first two. If I had to pick out one criticism - too much. Too much storyline, plot, villains, time. 148 minutes None of the characters were badly done - but they could have completely removed the Sandman, making the film a more manageable length, without disrupting the plot at all, and allowing time to develop a few other characters who just appeared as cameos.
    Not seen FF2 so cant comment (incidentally you can watch the silver surfer origins cartoons on TV Links) but i have seen Spidey3 so can. I pretty much agree with what you say, but, for me it wasn't "much" worse - slightly worse maybe, but in this one i really "got" peter parker a bit more, there was a bit of maturity coming out even before "dark" spiderman*. The performances of MJ and the new green goblin were also much better. Agree with the rest of what you say though, especially about sandman - great thought he was ..you could cut out those bits and not affect the film. Venom...brilliant (Id go so far as to say "perfect") but not nearly enough. Jameson...fantastic in all 3 films

* but, WHERE are the quips!!

Dont get me started on what i think of superhero films! I hate them! It has to be said, batman, boring, superman boring and spidey? BORING! ! Theyre all the same if you ask me! The boy saves the girl and beats the enemy with his amazing gadgets. I love musical films much better and some fantasy! has anyone seen Pirates of the carriabean at worlds end? I've seen it twice and it is brilliant! I know im straying from the point but i hope you can forgive me hehehe x

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mini Mac View Post
    Dont get me started on what i think of superhero films! I hate them! It has to be said, batman, boring, superman boring and spidey? BORING! ! Theyre all the same if you ask me! The boy saves the girl and beats the enemy with his amazing gadgets. I love musical films much better and some fantasy! has anyone seen Pirates of the carriabean at worlds end? I've seen it twice and it is brilliant! I know im straying from the point but i hope you can forgive me hehehe x
    hmm...i heard it was so dire it wasn't worth the trouble of going (after being bored through the 2nd one, i can believe it)..ill wait for the DVD

Personally I watch films more for the moments - superhero films, perhaps unsurprisingly I watch for what Joss Whedon calls "hero moments"

Spiderman 3 -
    the final fight where Spiderman leaps after Mary Jane, trusting that the Green Goblin isn't going to stab him in the back

Fantastic Four -
    when Doom fires the heat seeker at the Baxter Building
    "Oh no'
    'Don't even think about it!'
    'I never do'
    *jumps off building*
    'Come one, come on......FLAME ON!"

The Matrix Films -
    Trinity riding the Ducati the wrong way down the motorway.
    Neo after he leaves the Architect to try and save Trinity who's falling to her death and keeps trying to go faster and faster.......

Serenity -
    "You're always looking after me; my turn"
    *jumps unarmed into the room full of heavily armed supervillains, and doesn't even defend herself until she's thrown the medical kit to them and locked the door*

X3 -
    Kitty out-witting Juggernaut

Logan and Jean
    "You would die for them'
    'No, not for them; for you"

Oh and I did enjoy World's End too
    - The marriage scene at the end
    Last edited by ducasi; 19th-June-2007 at 07:02 PM. Reason: hide spoilers – quote this post to read them

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Personally I watch films more for the moments - superhero films, perhaps unsurprisingly I watch for what Joss Whedon calls "hero moments"

[...]

Oh and I did enjoy World's End too
    - The marriage scene at the end
    THANKYOU!!!!!!!!!

Someone agrees Pirates was good, the marriage scene was a touch of genius!!!

Hey they even done a bit of ceroc dancing!
    Last edited by ducasi; 19th-June-2007 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    hmm...i heard it was so dire it wasn't worth the trouble of going (after being bored through the 2nd one, i can believe it)..ill wait for the DVD
    NO! Ok so World's end wasnt the best one but it certainly wasnt dire!
    It was funny but also powerful at times!!! It will never beat the first one though! That was just classic!

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

NO! Ok so World's end wasnt the best one but it certainly wasnt dire!
    Hey don't get stroppy with me, thats only what i was told by a friend (and every review i read ). But I tend to believe it after seeing the last one - where Mr.Depps excellent pirate became a occasional comedy turn and lost his "edge". Kiera the super-heroine does grate a bit too

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post

Spiderman 3

We need a spoiler tag !! That automagically hides the text unless you really REALLY want to read it

I've not seen spiderman 3 yet !!

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Hey don't get stroppy with me, thats only what i was told by a friend (and every review i read ). But I tend to believe it after seeing the last one - where Mr.Depps excellent pirate became a occasional comedy turn and lost his "edge". Kiera the super-heroine does grate a bit too

Depp had to be funny though, it made the film memerable. "Nobody move, i cant find my brain!" Classic!

My dad agreed that keira's acting wasnt up to scratch though

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post

We need a spoiler tag !! That automagically hides the text unless you really REALLY want to read it

I've not seen spiderman 3 yet !!
    Arggggggggh! I know better than to do that. Really sorry Hopefully some kindly moderator will remove the reference (Kinda straneg clicking on "bad post" for something you've written)

I saw it at the beginning of May and assumed everyone who was going to see it had done so by now.

I've now hidden the text by making it white – folks can read it either by selecting it, or quoting it to reply.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Dont get me started on what i think of superhero films! I hate them! It has to be said, batman, boring, superman boring and spidey? BORING! ! Theyre all the same if you ask me! The boy saves the girl and beats the enemy with his amazing gadgets.
    Hellboy? Not exactly...

X-3: Boy gets girl, girl kills boy, next boy kills girl... not so much on the predictable romance thing

Superhero films are like any genre film (Westerns, romantic comedies, etc.) - you get good ones and bad ones, but most of them are in between.

has anyone seen Pirates of the carriabean at worlds end? I've seen it twice and it is brilliant! I know im straying from the point but i hope you can forgive me hehehe x
    It did precisely zero for me - the only bit I liked was the action set piece around the whirlpool, but that was 2 hours in - by then I'd almost lost the will to live...

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    I've now hidden the text by making it white – folks can read it either by selecting it, or quoting it to reply.

I've been touting the studio's with my latest offering "The Geek Avenger" but i'm not getting much in the way of interest.

he's not much of a super hero mind you, he does brew a decent cup of coffee and knows his way round a linux system.

He's got all the gear though.. a Cat6 RJ45 Lasso/climbing rope. Deadly mini DVD shurikans not to mention the lethal paper clip shooting , rubberband powered Geek Gun..

I really can't imagine why no producer is interested

An Eclectic Toaster

I've been touting the studio's with my latest offering "The Geek Avenger" but i'm not getting much in the way of interest.
    Possibly the script is putting them off. The Geek Avenger's boy wonder, the Canonicity Kid, is a problem. Constantly stopping the hero from using his DVD shurikens, because, say, they never appeared in the strip before issue #254 and therefore could not be coterminous with Doctor Cool's twisted chinos costume, doesn't help.

And your hero's adaptation of the Dungeons & Dragons (TM) logo for his costume isn't helping.

Neither is the battle cry of "Tape up those specs, CK, let's Avenge some Geeks".

And finally, the Achilles Heel of "any female within a 1/4 mile radius" is limiting the date-movie demographic potential somewhat.

he's not much of a super hero mind you, he does brew a decent cup of coffee and knows his way round a linux system.

He's got all the gear though.. a Cat6 RJ45 Lasso/climbing rope. Deadly mini DVD shurikans not to mention the lethal paper clip shooting , rubberband powered Geek Gun..

I am sad to say that I could buy 5 copies at least as Christmas presents. First of all I am a reasonably geeky girl. ( In other words I don't know all the technical lingo and languages, but I do know much more of what goes on behind our backroom Software than some of our other employees, never mind our clients )

Then there are at least 4 other members of the family that qualify as full time, paid up geeks (All much more tchnical than I am in their own unique ways. I am not )

Whitetiger

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart M View Post
    "Tape up those specs, CK, let's Avenge some Geeks".
    HAHA

I'm adding that to my Sig !! Rep for making me choke on my coffee !!

EDIT

"Holy icosahedrons GA.. he rolled a 20 on his spill coffee roll!!"
    Last edited by Beowulf; 25th-June-2007 at 01:39 PM.

Thread Information