Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you give to Charity?

Re: Do you give to Charity?

Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    I agree but I've always found them very nice and not too pushy. That might have something to do with the fact I'm a total sap and always listen to them and sign up, I suppose.
    I have to walk around Central London most days, and sometimes it's literally every five minutes, Beggars, Big Issue, Sign up for this & that, collection box shakers, people handing out flyers...it feels like a bloody war zone some days. You soon become immune to it, otherwise you would never get anything done, or ever have any money left.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    I have to walk around Central London most days, and sometimes it's literally every five minutes
    Move to Glasgow, it's a lot less aggro.

Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    Why?
    It's a very aggressive approach and basically works by pressurising people into signing up.

Many people find it very difficult to walk away or say 'no' in that kind of situation, whether they care about the particular charity's cause or not. They end up signing up just to get away from the chugger.

Obviously it depends on the person - some of them are fine, but some of them are so pushy it borders on harrassment. One guy followed me down the road saying really loudly and aggressively 'so you don't care about the planet?' It made me feel really uncomfortable and embarrassed.

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    I’m more likely to give money to a singer on the tube
    Singers, musicians, mimes etc (that don't harrass for money) don't count. They give something back. The Bardic tradition is a venerable one I'm happy to support.

As for charities - I have a list of causes important to me. I put aside 10% of what I earn and share it out among them.

I'll be glad when chuggers stop altogether. There's an important line between making people aware and harrassing them. Charities are important, but they need to play fair. ****ing in the pool is a really bad idea in the long term.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Flicts View Post
    One guy followed me down the road saying really loudly and aggressively 'so you don't care about the planet?' It made me feel really uncomfortable and embarrassed.
    That's bloody terrible. I would have complained about him, they're not allowed to do that.

I have a line that I use all the time now "I'm not a bloody tourist, I'm working". It makes me sound like a prostitute, but it gets them off my case.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Flicts View Post
    One guy followed me down the road saying really loudly and aggressively 'so you don't care about the planet?'
    The only time I've ever had trouble was from a horrible old lady with a blue rinse and a collecting tin outside Frasers, who was shoving the tin in people's faces and making rude comments if they wouldn't give her money. Chugging in London would probably have been right up her street (although they would probably have found her too aggressive even for them).

I work for a charity (environmental) and have volunteered or been involved in other ones so I would tend to give to those I know about or have been involved with.

Direct debit is really helpful to charities as it gives them a regular income and please gift aid - it really helps!

A lot of UK charities seem to be struggling at the moment - I think maybe a combination of less money available in pots like Lottery funding (not sure if its just being spread too thin or if the Games are beginning to siphon off some funding - anyone know?) and issues with legacies perhaps - people living longer? I don't really know, but if UK charities are struggling a bit that could explain some of the more agressive methods being used. (The charity I work for does not use any of these methods!)

Aggressive or guilt trip type approaches do nothing for me but put me off that charity. TV or magazine ads that highlight a need are different - we have to be aware of the needs in order to realise we can help and we can make a difference. But personal guilt trip approaches are unfair.

I really struggle with people on the street. I don't like to just give money, but I do feel sorry for where people must be at in their lives when they are at that level. From the odd occasion when I have stopped to engage (I would go and buy them food or a hot drink rather than just give money) they have been people unable to work who have fallen through the gaps in the system. Very sad.

I remember once when I lived in Africa, there was a trader near my house who sold things from under a tree. I greeted him every morning on my way to work and near the end of my stay had planned to buy some items from him. When I went do to so, a carved wooden bowl I had liked had been sold already. He told me he would get me another one. Two evenings later, having packed up his stall for the day he arrived at my door with the bowl. I told him I could wait and buy it tomorrow as I wanted to buy other things from him (for gifts to take home). He said OK then hesitated, and said 'but if it is OK with you, can you buy this bowl tonight? Its been raining today and I haven't sold anything. If you can buy this now instead of tomorrow morning I will have money to buy food for my family to eat tonight.' Reminded me of how some people just go from day to day, getting enough to survive. (I bought the bowl.)

We have so much, even when we feel 'poor' because we can't afford that outfit/car/holiday we want, we are still rich in money and possessions. Its good to share.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    I really struggle with people on the street. I don't like to just give money, but I do feel sorry for where people must be at in their lives when they are at that level.
    When I was regularly in London, I used to carry spare food - crisps, chocolate etc which I was happy to give away. I still do this when going to T-Jives for example.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    When I was regularly in London, I used to carry spare food - crisps, chocolate etc which I was happy to give away. I still do this when going to T-Jives for example.
    I still recall an event in London. I was sitting in a cafe having a coffee and a rough looking guy came in begging. He asked me for money for a cup of tea. As the cafe sold tea I said I'd buy him one: he told me to fcuk off! Did he want the money for tea? I don't think so. My advice is to never give money to beggars in the UK. They simply do not need to beg to survive - you need to ask yourself what they are going to do with the money you give them. The answer is "nothing that is going to get them out of a life of begging" and also, "nothing that is going to help them become members of a society where they contribute to the whole in any way whatsoever" If you must give to street beggars I like Ghost's idea - give them cake, it's harder to inject

I find it hard to be judgemental about the homeless using money for drink or drugs. If I had hit rock bottom, I'm sure I'd want to be out of my face as much as possible. We have no idea what circumstances have led people to that state. Having said that, since the Big Issue came out, I no longer give money to people just begging.

There is another aspect to giving a homeless person food or a hot drink instead of money - because you also give them just a little bit of your time and treat them like a person.

But that's the bit I really struggle with - because most of the time I do walk on past. I tell myself I'm busy, in a hurry, someone else will stop, there are agencies to deal with these situations etc. I know every time I do that, I'm just one of the many people who pretend they don't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by batnurse View Post
    Sign up to the telephone preference service and you'll never get another unsolicited phone call again . You can do the same for junk mail too.
    Sound advice indeed - this really works. It only takes a couple of minutes to make that call. Then after 2 or 3 weeks you can say goodbye to all those tedious unsolicited phone calls. I did this several years ago and would recommend it to anyone. The number you need to ring is 0800 - 398893. Go on, give yourself an early Christmas present.

Thread Information