Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The perfect day....

The perfect day....

There's been a similar thread to this before here, but I want to know what would be a perfect day for you (realistic, not a complete fantasy of being in several different countries in one day, like Clive described ).

I'm just back from a day of hillwalking, and it's just been an amazing day. Pretty much as perfect as it can get!

Luckily I didn't need to get up too early this morning, as I was dancing in Kirriemuir last night, and only got 5 hours sleep. Despite the lack of sleep I felt good, and my back wasn't bad. As we drove out of Dundee, towards the mountains, the clouds and mist lifted, and by the time we were ready to start our walk (mid-day), the sky was a perfect blue, and it was lovely and warm.

I've not been up a Munro for two years, due to my back, but decided to give it a go again today. I thought I'd be incredibly unfit, and struggle to get up the mountain (only a little Munro), but it turned out I'm not so desperately unfit after all! My mate and I actually overtook several other walking parties on the way up and down the hill.

There were no sheep or other livestock on the hill, so my doggie could run free, which just makes the walk so much better and hassle free for everyone. The sun was shining, the birds were singing, there was enough snow for a few snowball fights and for being silly, and streams for my dog to swim in. I enjoyed every second of the walk! After reaching the summit, we found a sheltered spot further down the hill (it was rather windy on the top) to have a lovely lunch (including home made chocolate cake), and do a spot of sunbathing. Bliss!

Ok, so at the end of the walk my back was in a bad way, and I was in considerable pain, but that didn't ruin my day in the slightest. Having walked up my first Munro in two years just felt like such an achievement, and also discovering I'm not a completely unfit lump of lard, just made me feel so happy and ALIVE!

We rounded off the day by going for a pint and dinner at a lovely pub, at the Moulin Inn in Pitlochry, where I had 'sporran of plenty' (fillet of beef stuffed with haggis), and a pint of well deserved ale. Yum!

I am now jus going to have a loooooong, hot soak in a bubble bath, and then head for bed early with a good book. I think I should sleep well tonight....

The only thing that could have made the day better, would have been if Greg had been there, too.......

So, has anyone else had a perfect day lately?

PS - just to make the day even better I got the news that a friend of mine has given birth to a lovely big baby boy this morning!

Re: The perfect day....

Congrats to your friend!
    And it sounds like you've had a great day today! I'm so jealous.

Not quite a perfect day, but quite a few perfect moments, recently....they'll do for now.

Walking up the sand track with my share-horse, in glorious sunshine, surrounded by beautiful, rolling hills, only sound to be heard were mine and the horses footsteps, a few birds singing, and some sheep making sheep noises.

Galloping down the same sand-track, same scenario, only with the wind stingning my eyes and whistling in my ears.

A most excellent dance to Candyman with a good friend - sneaking glances at a group of people on the side of the dance floor, who were watching in admiration (at least, that's what I like to think it was!)

Now just to put them all together!

Today I'm suffering from having had such a perfect day yesterday...... Ooooh, I'm hurting!! My body aint used to that sort of thing any more! But it was sooooooooo woth the pain!

Oh, and I forgot to mention the wildlife yesterday. Lots and lots of red grouse (made me feel at times I was in a 'Famous Grouse' whiskey advert! ), and several puddles full of sh@gging frogs!

Aaargh, I suppose I'd better drag myself out on a walk with my dog, and go to work.....

PS - I've always wanted to try "Galloping down the sand-track, with the wind stingning my eyes and whistling in my ears." Just looks so much fun!

I must say I had a pretty good day with FH on Sunday too LM, though my stiff old limbs could only manage a wee walk round the village to the old graveyard, and down by the bridge to watch the birds... (Ms Hips wanted to go climb hills and stuff like that – way too much exercise for a chilled Sunday afternoon! )

Anyway, we saw some cute yellowish birdies whose name (from the book we looked up later) I have now forgotten, beyond that it started with the word "yellow".

I'd make a poor ornithologist.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    I must say I had a pretty good day with FH on Sunday too LM, though my stiff old limbs could only manage a wee walk round the village to the old graveyard, and down by the bridge to watch the birds... (Ms Hips wanted to go climb hills and stuff like that – way too much exercise for a chilled Sunday afternoon! )

Anyway, we saw some cute yellowish birdies whose name (from the book we looked up later) I have now forgotten, beyond that it started with the word "yellow".

No good with the birds hey?

Were they yellowhammers?

It was a lovely day.
    Mind you - the hill I suggested going up is really more of a big mound (just at the back of Dundee) than a real Scottish Hill!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jhutch View Post
    No good with the birds hey?

Were they yellowhammers?
    Having had a look again, I think they were grey wagtails!!

Quote Originally Posted by Freudian Hips View Post
    Having had a look again, I think they were grey wagtails!!
    You know, I think you might be right...
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by Freudian Hips View Post
    Mind you - the hill I suggested going up is really more of a big mound (just at the back of Dundee) than a real Scottish Hill!!
    Are we by any chance talking about the Sidlaws? In that case, yes I agree with FH - they are just big mounds! Not what I'd call climbing hills.... And I thought I did a small hill at the weekend....

But it's nice to just go for a leasurely amble and watch the birdies, too. Especially if the sun is shining, and you're knackered from dancing the night before. I barely feel human today, after dancing Friday and Saturday (and working Saturday), and then hillwalking yesterday. But several people have commented on my tan and how healthy I look, so I'm happy!

Quote Originally Posted by Little Monkey View Post
    I'm just back from a day of hillwalking, and it's just been an amazing day. Pretty much as perfect as it can get!
    I think my perfect day would be something similar to yours Little Monkey: walking in the highlands, a good scramble along a ridge and a cloud free munro summit. And what better way to round off the day than a ceilidh and a few beers .

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

My perfect day would be completely different. I'd wake up late and have breakfast in bed delivered by the kids, with big hugs and kisses. I'd head for London or Birmingham (in a helicopter so it was a quick journey) Shop til i dropped. Meet up with lots of mates for lunch and a drink or two. Then a bit more shopping before heading for the salon for as much pampering as is possible. After top to toe treatments i'd put on one of the new outfits i'd bought during the day and head for Utopia. Dance with all my favourite men to all my favourite tracks and chat to all my favourite gals. At the end of the evenings dancing,we would of course, go to one of Franck and Sheenas after party parties.

(Yes i know, i'm so shallow)

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    {SNIP}
    What's your husband's name again?

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    What's your husband's name again?
    Hey, it's on a friday, (Utopia night) so he's at work, obviously earning the money to pay for my perfect day.

My perfect day {snip} ....(
    I guess you didn't really read my first post properly then, Cruella?
    That sounds about as realistic as Clive's description of his 'perfect day' in the thread linked below....

Must say, though, that your day sounds more like a nightmare than a dream to me. I can't stand shopping! But I agree with the dancing (although I've never been to Utopia).

There's been a similar thread to this before here, but I want to know what would be a perfect day for you (realistic, not a complete fantasy of being in several different countries in one day, like Clive described ).

So, has anyone else had a perfect day lately?

I guess you didn't really read my first post properly then, Cruella?
    That sounds about as realistic as Clive's description of his 'perfect day' in the thread linked below.... :
    I disagree. It's all extremely realistic (OK maybe we'll forget the helicopter) But if the shopping was in London I can't see where the unrealistic part is?
    I've done all of it at some time, just not all on the same day. Yet!

I disagree. It's all extremely realistic (OK maybe we'll forget the helicopter) But if the shopping was in London I can't see where the unrealistic part is?
    I've done all of it at some time, just not all on the same day. Yet!
    I guess what I really wanted to know, was if other people had in fact experienced a perfect day lately. I guess it wasn't worded very well....

Still think your day sounds like a nightmare, though!

Still think your day sounds like a nightmare, though!
    Different strokes for different folks!

Different strokes for different folks!
    Indeed.

I bet my perfect day sounds like hell to a lot of people, too.... Somehow I can't picture Fletch in walking boots, slogging up a mountain, hair in disarray, sweat pouring..... It would have to be walking boots with sparkly bits on, and going up to the top of the mountain in a cable car, whilst sipping champagne!

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

It would have to be walking boots with sparkly bits on, and going up to the top of the mountain in a cable car, whilst sipping champagne!
    Count me in sounds like the perfect kind of mountain climbing
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggerbabe View Post
    Count me in sounds like the perfect kind of mountain climbing
    Me too!

Can I follow behind all you ladies whilst admiring the views.

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Course you can, you can carry the huge picnic hamper too
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Thread Information