Thread: Will this be the best camera for dance snaps, ever?

Will this be the best camera for dance snaps, ever?

The soon-to-be-released Canon EOS 5D MkII SLR takes 21 MP stills at 3.8 shots a second, and can also shoot Full-HD (1080p) video, both in low light conditions. I'm thinking the fast frame rate and sheer low-light incredibleness might make this the ultimate Ceroc-snapper's machine? Here's a vid that uses unedited (raw) footage from a pre-production camera:

Canon Digital Learning Center - Sample Video: EOS 5D Mark II

I reckon it has hawtness potential.

Anyone else interested in taking photos of dance (er... when not dancing oneself of course) wanna have a look?

Re: Will this be the best camera for dance snaps, ever?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronde! View Post
    The soon-to-be-released Canon EOS 5D MkII SLR
    I am a big fan of canon (i have a 40d myself)
    my concern with this would be, the frame rate is slow (the 40d is 6.5fps), two anyone without some knowledge will find canon cameras have a tendency to under expose so you would need some exposure compensation
    and of course the other problem will be the asking price of about £3000 with a basic kit lens

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Having dabbled a bit in 'studio photography' I know how clever 'lighting' can make any picture good!

The film is FANTASTIC, there's no doubting that but now watch it again and take note of how everything is lit.

The blue glow when he's sleeping. Its a studio light, with a blue filter!

The red glow on the girl when she's waiting. As above, but red.

His face in the car and when he's leaning out of the helicopter, both lit.

The wheel trim's

The smoke

The pavement has been wetted, then lit with a light at low level.

The girls face it lit from behind to produce the silhouette

Its all beautifully and cleverly done

but, a word of warning... don't expect, just because you have a great camera, you'll automatically get great pictures!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Ronde! View Post
    The soon-to-be-released Canon EOS 5D MkII SLR takes 21 MP stills at 3.8 shots a second, and can also shoot Full-HD (1080p) video, both in low light conditions. I'm thinking the fast frame rate and sheer low-light incredibleness might make this the ultimate Ceroc-snapper's machine? Here's a vid that uses unedited (raw) footage from a pre-production camera:
    It's very difficult to judge a camera based on conditions which are different from where you're going to shoot - so given that most MJ is danced in very low light and is not lit specifically for being photographed, wouldn't make any judgement call based on this video. Currently, Nikon's D3 or D700 is possily the leader for low light/high ISO performance.

I found that using a separate high power flash (sb-800) I got a massive improvement in the quality of my photos. Just have to be careful not to over-light the ceiling!

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post

but, a word of warning... don't expect, just because you have a great camera, you'll automatically get great pictures!
    absolutely

there is gadget on every (well most nowadays) camera that a lot of amateur photographers dont use

Its called the viewfinder

Cool Re: Will this be the best camera for dance snaps, ever?

He might find it easier to spot her at night from a helicopter if he took off his dark glasses - numpty

Quote Originally Posted by tsh View Post
    I found that using a separate high power flash (sb-800) I got a massive improvement in the quality of my photos. Just have to be careful not to over-light the ceiling!
    It's just as well we practice 'jedi dancing' with our eyes closed. I think you would annoy people by blinding them. Plus, don't you find it fails to capture the atmosphere ? I've gone Nikon D40 with the 'VR' Vibration Reduction lenses. Only 6MP, but bigger pixels gather more light. and 10% of the cost. If the shutter speed is slow, then you're not going to get many frames per second anyway. Better to choose a still moment, applying your musicality to define when you press the button ?

Quote Originally Posted by EricD View Post
    It's just as well we practice 'jedi dancing' with our eyes closed. I think you would annoy people by blinding them. Plus, don't you find it fails to capture the atmosphere ? I've gone Nikon D40 with the 'VR' Vibration Reduction lenses. Only 6MP, but bigger pixels gather more light. and 10% of the cost. If the shutter speed is slow, then you're not going to get many frames per second anyway. Better to choose a stiing. ll moment, applying your musicality to define when you press the button ?
    Good point about the flash - yes, it can be annoying. That said, if you are going to use flash, a separate unit allows you to dial it down down so it mixes with the ambient light & you don't lose all the atmosphere. Not so sure about your 'bigger pixels gather more light' theory, but definitely waiting for the moment is useful.

It's just as well we practice 'jedi dancing' with our eyes closed. I think you would annoy people by blinding them. Plus, don't you find it fails to capture the atmosphere ?
    agreed
    I've gone Nikon D40 with the 'VR' Vibration Reduction lenses. Only 6MP, but bigger pixels gather more light.
    Not quite true and bigger pixels will show up as digital noise (similar to grain in celuloid camers) the only way to tell if a camera will work in lower light conditions is to check the size of the lens aperture and the iso of the camera
    For those that are not camera techy aperture is the hole in the lens (smaller number larger the hole therefore more light can reach the sensor) and the ISO is the speed of the sensor (used to be film speed and denoted ASA or ISO) higher the ISO number means the sensor is faster and less light is needed for your pics but again normally will increase digital noise
    Although the "VR" ("IS" if you use canon cameras) lens will help reduce camera shake with lower shutter speeds again alowing more light to reach the sensor
    If the shutter speed is slow, then you're not going to get many frames per second anyway. Better to choose a still moment, applying your musicality to define when you press the button ?
    to both statements

Quote Originally Posted by tsh View Post

The SB 800 and a SB 600 as a slave (with the appropriate Nikon Camera e.g. D70s or if you have the money D700) is amazing piece of kit. When it comes to flash I think Nikon have the edge on Cannon

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by philsmove View Post
    The SB 800 and a SB 600 as a slave (with the appropriate Nikon Camera e.g. D70s or if you have the money D700) is amazing piece of kit. When it comes to flash I think Nikon have the edge on Cannon
    I've got the D70 with a SB 600
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Thread Information