Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Southport June 2007 DVD

Southport June 2007 DVD

Surely it cannot be long now before this arrives (waits by letter box)

Commercial Operator

Re: Southport June 2007 DVD

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Leader View Post

Southport's DVD is a more complex production that most dance weekender DVDs as it contains much more than the classes taught. Pleased to say, however, that it is almost ready to be pressed and will be mailed out asap. All good things are worth waiting for.

Thanks for the update Jonah. Certainly better to finesse things than rush out something with lots of rough edges.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Leader View Post
    I would have had it out weeks ago!

Quote Originally Posted by johnah View Post
    Southport's DVD is a more complex production that most dance weekender DVDs as it contains much more than the classes taught. Pleased to say, however, that it is almost ready to be pressed and will be mailed out asap. All good things are worth waiting for.
    Ceroc Weekender DVDs contain freestyle etc and they are able to produce them on site.

Theres no excuses these days for delays apart from the fact there is over 40 classes in the J A products as oppossed to 30 in the Ceroc ones but practically no editing so I fail to see why it should take so long. When I made them I included indexes titles and at leasts three camera edits on the cabarets as well as photo's which all do take time. Ive learned that this is not what people want. they want the classes a wide view of the cabaret and a bit of freestyle end of.

Given that scenario I would have churned them out at the weekend!!

I can understand the frustration if people want the DVD to consolidate their knowledge picked up at classes but I tend to buy the JA DVDs for the cabarets and extra bits of footage so a delay doesn't really bother me. It's also worth noting that JA use 'proper' DVDs not recordable ones which tends to mean they compatible with a wider range of players and they are cheaper than Camber, Ceroc etc at 15 UKP plus 1.50 UKP P&P. I'm starting to sound like an advert now!

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    I'm starting to sound like an advert now!
    Like a what ...vert?

I buy the dvd for the performances and to see if im included in any of the freestyle and given the quality of the southport dvd's i dont mind waiting for them in the slightest

(so far ive seen myself in the back ground dancing twice :-) and yes i know im sad)

M

It's also worth noting that JA use 'proper' DVDs not recordable ones which tends to mean they compatible with a wider range of players !
    Not so old chap

unless I got a cheapy,

They are burnt DVD's (write once) not pressed

To press DVDs they would need a glass master disc @£1000 and a minimum 2000 presed copies ordered before a dupe unit would touch it!

That said if they could run to that they would get a much bettter deal as pressed discs cost about 7 p each.

On the other hand I recently aqquired the top brand waterproof printable + R (write once)disks at 10 p each (for 2000 or more) So even then the gap is closing. The compatability issue is a myth. If a disc wont play its 99% the machine.
    Last edited by Tiggerbabe; 11th-July-2007 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Fixing quotes

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    Not so old chap

unless I got a cheapy,

They are burnt DVD's (write once) not pressed

To press DVDs they would need a glass master disc @£1000 and a minimum 2000 presed copies ordered before a dupe unit would touch it!
    Actually, Robd is 100% correct, and you are not.

Southport's DVDs are pressed using a glass master disc.

Without doubt this method produces a higher quality, more compatible and reliable DVD, compared to copying. But it is not one that can be churned out as quickly as some might lead people to believe.

We also like to include a lot more in our productions, as we feel this enhances a viewers enjoyment of a Southport DVD. Again, this takes time, and we have to be happy with the end product prior to it being pressed.

Southport's DVDs improved considerably post June 2005, they were still copied, but with our new suppliers we experienced a lot less compatibility, navigation and delivery problems.

However, we always try to improve on what we do, offer value-for-money and this year, we took the decision to press [using a glass master] Southport's DVD.

The compatability issue is a myth. If a disc wont play its 99% the machine.
    Contradicting yourself there Mac. If a disc will not play then it ceases to be compatible with the machine hence compatibility issue. I bought my Pioneer player in 2000 IIRC (maybe 99) and it's served me well, I can count the problems with 'proper' discs on the fingers of an amputee's hand but recordable discs always cause it grief. Not a surprise since it predates home authoring and the widespread adoption of some of these formats but the net effect is that I know I can be confident the Southport DVDs will play and I take a gamble when buying anyone else's product.

Having said that, I recently bought a Pioneer DVD-RW for my PC and it plays all the 'problem' discs perfectly well via Nero Showtime.

Contradicting yourself there Mac. If a disc will not play then it ceases to be compatible with the machine hence compatibility issue. I bought my Pioneer player in 2000 IIRC (maybe 99) and it's served me well, I can count the problems with 'proper' discs on the fingers of an amputee's hand but recordable discs always cause it grief. Not a surprise since it predates home authoring and the widespread adoption of some of these formats but the net effect is that I know I can be confident the Southport DVDs will play and I take a gamble when buying anyone else's product.

Having said that, I recently bought a Pioneer DVD-RW for my PC and it plays all the 'problem' discs perfectly well via Nero Showtime.

I think thats the point the machines pre date home authoring! which makes it the machine surely?

Acutally its more complicated than that

Some popular makes of DVD players and writers had a contract with Macrovison who produce the security chip that detects whether a media is going to be copied.

It was initially confused by writable discs because it detected recordable media even though finalised discs arn't copyable anyway. The security chip was designed initially to detect if a video machine was connected which of course would have made it possible to copy from DVD to Video.

Ironically very cheap DVD players never had the chips installed as they were licensed and so would put the cost up. They would play nicely when their expensive cousins would spit them out

I was around when we were conduting experiments and reaearching issues of compatability co incidentally by feedback from some Southport customers. We made special discs for some customers who had top brand machines that would not play some discs and some would play one and not another.

This is how I found out about the above issues. we got over it to a large degree by making special discs with a pre written code burned on first that told the machine to play the disc. ( any one remember me doing that for them ?)

It made the whole process more expensive but it was worth it as we learnt a lot and it made us ( by that I mean the likes of me and Steve Strong etc) pioneers of dance DVDs.

I have a load of Dud DVds that would not play for some customers and when I tried them they would play up for me also at the time.

Last year though I bought a new machine which plays them perfectly.

So back to my original suggestion, the machines technology has caught up with the disc technolology eventually!!

This may need to go in the Geeks corner Mods!!!

Actually, Robd is 100% correct, and you are not.

Southport's DVDs are pressed using a glass master disc.

But it is not one that can be churned out as quickly as some might lead people to believe.

Again, this takes time, and we have to be happy with the end product prior to it being pressed.

Southport's DVDs improved considerably post June 2005, they were still copied, but with our new suppliers we experienced a lot less compatibility, navigation and delivery problems. (see above post as to why this was -Mac-)

However, we always try to improve on what we do, offer value-for-money and this year, we took the decision to press [using a glass master] Southport's DVD.

Hmmm...Ive done some research ( I really must get out more!!)

And came up with this!

"DVD and CD Replication is best explained as "stamping" your data into an injection molded CD or DVD. These discs have a silver look to them, similar to the audio CD discs that you would buy in a music store. CD / DVD Replication tends to be used with larger orders, where it is vital to get the "per disc" price as low as possible.

The DVD / CD replication process requires that you order a minimum of 500 CDs to cover the setup costs. For larger orders, the process is less expensive than Duplication, because your data is actually built into the construction of the DVD or CD and not added later.

For UK customers, we can turn around a DVD or CD Duplication or Replication order in 24 hours! As we are based in London, England, so we have direct courier routes to the whole of the UK, meaning a quick turnaround is no problem to Amstore. "

Obviously the costs have come down considersbly since I last looked!! making stamping or pressed DVDs more cost effective so i conceed that this is indeed now possible and if the Southport products are now stamed, fair play to them.

But the info above proves that the turnaround of such discs is very fast so I dont see why they "Would take longer than some people would lead you to beleive?" Thats clearly not the case

Rather, I think its because of the editing process which if a quality product is the net desired result than it will always take time.

But I will fight my corner

The editing and authoring on the current Southport DVDS falls way below standard (as do most these days actually)

and well below what I produced IMO. and Ive done the comparisons

Given the equipment that the guy has got which is very good , there is no excuse for not proper colour matching, white balancing and saturation syncs between cameras.

The sound is awful too

Im guessing that the knowledge isnt there to do it.

And that really does take time to learn

One things for sure though Jive Addiction are one of the fusssiest (is that a word) and most picky customers that I worked with

Which is actually a compliment as it will always mean that the best you will get was the best thgey could do
    Last edited by Mac; 13th-July-2007 at 01:42 AM.

Commercial Operator

But I will fight my corner [/LEFT]

The editing and authoring on the current Southport DVDS falls way below standard (as do most these days actually)

and well below what I produced IMO. and Ive done the comparisons

Yep 100% predictable!!

Ok so how much longer then??????????

Quote Originally Posted by littlewiggle View Post
    Ok so how much longer then??????????
    I think theyr'e lost for words (judging by their last post n the subject. )

To be fair though, Southport was only the beginning of June which was 7 weeks ago

Thats right ONLY 7 WEEKS AGO

Even Jon dosn't start jumping up and down until now!
    ( Yes mate I remember it well!! )

Be paitient folks. I think it will be worth the wait.

Commercial Operator

Be paitient folks. I think it will be worth the wait.
    All good things are.

still waiting..............

Quote Originally Posted by littlewiggle View Post
    still waiting..............
    Personally i'd give them till the end of July

Thread Information