Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Class line etiquette

Re: Class line etiquette

I am for the practice of the leads raising a hand at the beginning of the lesson to indicate that they don't have a partner; it is simply attracting the attention of anyone else looking for a partner. Once the eye has been caught, then you don't need to keep the hand raised.
    I would only consider it rude if the person sticking their hand up was not looking for a partner at the same time eg. chatting to the person next to them.

Putting your hand up has one primary advantage in my opinion: as a lead you can stake your claim and get a spot closer to the stage.
    It also has a psychological advantage that any followers waiting can see that you don't belong to any groups or cliques; you don't have a preference for any particular dancer, and so are more approachable.
    I would say that it should also result in the class being quicker to get organised because the lead simply goes and stands in line and the follower joins them - otherwise the lead has to go collect the follower, then take their place in line. A to B rather than A to B via detour C.

I'm a bit confused about Andy's example from the stage: it's rude to seek out a partner without moving, but it's not rude to humiliate someone infront of their social circle

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
    I'm a bit confused about Andy's example from the stage: it's rude to seek out a partner without moving, but it's not rude to humiliate someone infront of their social circle
    In my example I demonstrated how to ask a lady to dance and how not to ask a lady to dance. Immediately after my demonstration a guy walked on to the floor and did exactly what I said guys should not do. Who was trying to humiliate who?

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
    I am for the practice of the leads raising a hand at the beginning of the lesson to indicate that they don't have a partner; it is simply attracting the attention of anyone else looking for a partner. Once the eye has been caught, then you don't need to keep the hand raised.
    I would only consider it rude if the person sticking their hand up was not looking for a partner at the same time eg. chatting to the person next to them.

Putting your hand up has one primary advantage in my opinion: as a lead you can stake your claim and get a spot closer to the stage.
    It also has a psychological advantage that any followers waiting can see that you don't belong to any groups or cliques; you don't have a preference for any particular dancer, and so are more approachable.
    I would say that it should also result in the class being quicker to get organised because the lead simply goes and stands in line and the follower joins them - otherwise the lead has to go collect the follower, then take their place in line. A to B rather than A to B via detour C.
    You tell that to Nina Daines the next time you meet her. See how long you can survive her death stare. I think the record is .29 of a second, and that was wearing sunglasses

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Christ, I dunno, I can't even remember my own name most of the time, don't expect me to remember details about anyone else. Well, unless they've got big boobs, of course.
    I have to admire your market research techniques there, Mr Jim

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Well, unless they've got bare boobs, of course
    I think I'd raise both hands over my head in surrender - and to keep my hands busy and out of harm's way

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post

I think I'd raise both hands over my head in surrender - and to keep my hands busy and out of harm's way
    Cowardly cowardly custard, embrace the moment and twiddla a cuppla juicey nibbles !!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    Cowardly cowardly custard, embrace the moment and twiddla a cuppla juicey nibbles !!!
    I'll have what he's having....

Commercial Operator

You tell that to Nina Daines the next time you meet her. See how long you can survive her death stare. I think the record is .29 of a second, and that was wearing sunglasses
    Oh - I think you'll find it's a bit longer that that. And with practice, one can even become immune to it.... (mostly immune, anyway)

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    Oh - I think you'll find it's a bit longer that that. And with practice, one can even become immune to it.... (mostly immune, anyway)
    I think you will find she was just toying with you and using her Death Stare "Lite" version

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    But you are NOT asking someone to dance. You are asking them to be a class partner for a minute or two before moving off to the next partner. Should this happen every rotation of the class....

"Two ladies on please..."
    "Would you do me the grand honour of being my partner for the next minute of walking through the basket move please m'lady"

One of the great things about MJ is the informality and lack of gender based etiquette; I feel that it makes it more accessible and delightfully disarming for newcomers. Having the Grand Master belittling people for not following rules of his particular Dojo is head and shoulders above what some perceive as the faux pas of putting one's hand in the air to signal that a student is partner-less in my view. As has already been stated here by Andy - after an extensive demonstration of how to ask, the next guy onto the floor made the exact mistake!! If you can't even teach them to line-up the way you want them to, how on earth do you get on teaching them to dance the way you want them to Andy

It's yet another case of nit-picky tosh that this forum throws up from time to time. If you want to be polite, get to the classes in good time, get your shoes on, get a drink and say your hellos BEFORE the class starts. That way you're not wasting the time of everyone in the room with enough manners to arrive on time and be ready to learn. That is good manners.

I'm in the "get the woman from the side" camp and I do find it a little rude when I see guys who hold up their hands expecting a woman to arrive. However:

During intermediate classes I'll generally see someone I know and go up to her and ask her if she'd like to start the class with me. In part so we can talk and catch up, failing that I'm lucking, I guess, in the fact that women often ask me.

I can't remember the last time I turned up for the start of the beginner's class so I'm pretty much joining mid-class. The least disruptive approach is to fetch a partner from the "line" and take her to a spot.

Blog Entries

When I'm at a class on my own (which is most of the time, just call me Billy ), as the teachers call everyone to order, I'll either ask someone near me at the time or go directly to the front corner where the "spare" ladies (awful expression, I know) gather and ask someone to join me.

I find it generally saves me having to stand with my hand in the air announcing to all "look at me! I have no-one to dance with. I don't smell, honest".

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    front corner where the "spare" ladies (awful expression, I know) gather and ask someone to join me.
    I do everything I can to avoid saying "spare ladies". I call them "ladies in waiting" I usually put out a line of chairs and call them my ladies in waiting chairs - I keep the name when there's guys over, "move round 3 guys and the guys coming off the end of row 26 please come and sit in the ladies in waiting chairs" sometimes a joke never wears out

I keep the name when there's guys over, "move round 3 guys and the guys coming off the end of row 26 please come and sit in the ladies in waiting chairs" sometimes a joke never wears out
    Your class sounds like a riot .

I do everything I can to avoid saying "spare ladies". I call them "ladies in waiting" I usually put out a line of chairs and call them my ladies in waiting chairs - I keep the name when there's guys over, "move round 3 guys and the guys coming off the end of row 26 please come and sit in the ladies in waiting chairs" sometimes a joke never wears out
    In order to avoid appearing sexist, some people can appear... sexist.

I wonder if you would ever consider humiliating a woman in front of a crowd? Are men somehow fair game for that treatment?

Quote Originally Posted by brawBloke View Post

I wonder if you would ever consider humiliating a woman in front of a crowd? Are men somehow fair game for that treatment?
    You obviously have never met Mr. McGregor

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Cool Re: Class line etiquette

Quote Originally Posted by brawBloke View Post

You're not the only one to see the glaring double standard in Mr MsGregor's 'etiquette'. Ladies are for going ceremoniously down on one knee in front of in a psudeo-chivalrous manner, guys are for scoring points off of.

It's a weird model to abuse the guys when they are always in such short supply Our local Ceroc franchise has lost guys from his venues for this sort of behavior in the past. It's a lose-lose situation for all concerned.
    Last edited by StokeBloke; 5th-November-2007 at 10:21 PM.

Thread Information