Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New website design and build

Blog Entries

Re: New website design and build

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    As a current professional web programmer
    You win!

Text layout is generally poor - the front page News box is a classic example - first you have the title 'Headlines', followed, in exactly the same font / colour / size, a bunch of headlines that mean little, and that you can't click on for more info. Pointless
    Good point. I hadn't looked at the news in detail And I agree, I would've expected to have been able to click on those headlines.
    Initial impressions - the whole front page means nothing at all to me - I look at it, and if I didn't know what MoJive was, I'd be none the wiser from this page.
    But that means it's not too cluttered - plus the "New to Mojive" & "Classes" buttons take you to more information - and that's what I'd want to click if I wanted to know more.
    Menu - click on any of the navigation items that have a popup - and there's no way to dismiss the popup without clicking on a link.
    I couldn't find a popup (but I've probably got them disabled, so I don't notice). Oh.. hang on - that gallery one! Aha. Yup - might be nicer not to have to click on it.

I could go on... but I'd be hijacking Gus' thread even more (sorry Gus)
    Gus'll love it.

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    My biggest problem with it – I can't use the "back" button.

I guess it's using some "Web 2.0" to load content into the same single page, but it means you can't go back and forward, because it is all (well, mostly) one page – and for no good reason that I can see.
    That's my bugbear. I can cope with the colours, non-links, fonts (although now that Stray's pointed it out, that bold is annoying me), and videos that start without warning! But if I can't navigate... what's the point?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    having looked at the developing companies own website - they do a lot of "style over substance" sites
    Style over substance? Sounds like my average MJ night...

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    My biggest problem with it – I can't use the "back" button.

I guess it's using some "Web 2.0" to load content into the same single page, but it means you can't go back and forward, because it is all (well, mostly) one page – and for no good reason that I can see.
    It's because it's a Flash site - which is one huge disadvantage of using Flash. Not to say that you can't have a Flash site with the back button working, but it's very hard to do it well.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    But that means it's not too cluttered - plus the "New to Mojive" & "Classes" buttons take you to more information - and that's what I'd want to click if I wanted to know more.
    Mebbe so - but you have to bear in mind that the web-browsing public has a very low attention span. A site literally has 30 seconds or so to grab someone's attention, and then they'll very often be off to look at somewhere else - I'm terrible for this. So your home page is crucial when it comes to grabbing and holding the attention of new visitors. This one is only going to grab people who already know what MoJive is. Fine if that's your aim, but in that case, why make the site so flashy? Regular users really won't care about that.
    Ever come across the 'AIDA' principle for advertising? Put (over)simply, a good home page should inspire the following reactions in new visitors, in this order:
    Attention: Grab the visitor's attention.
    Interest: Show them something to grab their interest.
    Desire: Show them something they want to have / do, or even make them want it..
    Action: Give them an easy step they can take towards fulfilling that desire.

Obviously, there's a lot more to it than that, but you get the idea.

I couldn't find a popup (but I've probably got them disabled, so I don't notice). Oh.. hang on - that gallery one! Aha. Yup - might be nicer not to have to click on it.
    Bad phrasing on my part. I mean the submenus.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    Ever come across the 'AIDA' principle for advertising? Put (over)simply, a good home page should inspire the following reactions in new visitors, in this order:
    Attention: Grab the visitor's attention.
    Interest: Show them something to grab their interest.
    Desire: Show them something they want to have / do, or even make them want it..
    Action: Give them an easy step they can take towards fulfilling that desire.

Obviously, there's a lot more to it than that, but you get the idea.
    I think the site achieves those aims. I think it's quite well thought out in terms of design. It's reasonably clear and easy what to click to get the info that I'm after - and that the pages are laid out clearly. My issue is still with the functionality.

People aren't going to stumble across the site in isolation. A new visitor is probably looking for dance classes, and has arrived there from Google, or a directory like UK-Jive. OK... so there isn't the "Mo'Jive is ...an exciting blend of salsa fused with jive with a touch of oregano..." blurb that we know and love from so many of the MJ sites.

But, say, I was that visitor...

Aha! A website. Straight in. No fannying about, pressing "click here to enter site". Fab. I like that.

My eyes are immediately drawn to the vouchers. Oooh! Money off! (Something I want! My attention is grabbed.) And, next to it is a venue, time & date. Sadly - it's not a link (but we've covered that one before!). But I press it, and I can print off the vouchers.

So - what's it about? What is this Mo'jive of which I've heard nothing.... Aha!

A "New to Mo'jive" button. That's me! That seems quite straight forward & I know what to do. I've not lost interest yet.

Ooops. Pressed it. Music starts up! Good thing I'm not in the office. Still... it looks fun. I'm interested. Where can I learn? Sadly the info under the video doesn't help. So I press the Classes button. It's one of your sub menu pop-ups. That's OK... By selecting Overview, I know what to expect from the evening.

I'm sold. Money off, and what seems to be a fun dance. Where can I learn? I desire to learn! Oooh... there's a classes information button. I'll press that!

Aha! Classes. Tells me the times at the top. Tells me the venues and days. Fab. However... I need to know where to go. Ach! It's that text that looks like it should be a link, but isn't. However, it does tell me what to press to get directions.

Click "Venue Map".

Ooops. I think I broke it. It says "stopped" in the bottom left of my screen. Eeek. Now none of my Firefox windows work. I'll have to restart! Curse you, Mo'jive! And I haven't got to the action bit of printing out the voucher. But if the site had worked, I would have.

I think the design meets your aims - but it's the delivery we both have issues with. As I originally said - "Pretty, but it's a shame it doesn't work".

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

anyone else want to volunteer such a walkthrough for other jive related sites ? it should be a laugh

Blog Entries

anyone else want to volunteer such a walkthrough for other jive related sites ? it should be a laugh
    I'd love to do the Ceroc HQ one, but I haven't got the time!

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

py to put mine forward. It's only a temp site though till i get to work on a propper one.

Smooth Modern Jive

The trouble with experts is they think their opinion is fact.

The Mojive site is one of the best jive sites out there, and I say that loathing the use of flash.
    Even I, also a professional web programmer when required can see that is a good site. Yes, there are things that could be improved. There are ALWAYS things that could be improved and if you start to look for them, you find them.

So I give, what is admittedly is my local franchise, kudos for at least one of the better efforts out there.

Click "Venue Map".

Ooops. I think I broke it. It says "stopped" in the bottom left of my screen. Eeek. Now none of my Firefox windows work. I'll have to restart! Curse you,
    Works 100% fine for me in firefox, prolly a local problem on your comp.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TA Guy View Post
    Nah - experts still acknowledge that it's their opinion. However, the difference is that it's well informed opinion.

The Mojive site is one of the best jive sites out there
    No one is disagreeing there!

Sorry if my comments offended you. It was meant to be honest feedback & as the thread was in the geek section, I subconsciously turned off my fluffy filter. But, to be fair, I wasn't as scathing as Stray.

BTW... sorry Lee - I'm happy to look at your site later, if no one else has commented beforehand. Just a bit busy at the mo - shouldn't really be doing this!

p.s. A local occurance did contribute to the problem. I checked and my ASDL connection had dropped & reconnected whilst I was browsing. However, these things happen and I wouldn't have expected the Mo'jive site to react like that & lock up all my firefox windows. That's the trouble with complex stuff - it can react in ways you wouldn't expect.

Commercial Operator

Very true. Of course - sometimes we're right

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    py to put mine forward. It's only a temp site though till i get to work on a propper one.

Smooth Modern Jive
    As a dance flyer in web page format, it's great

As a dance flyer in web page format, it's great
    Just speaking as a user, I actually like that side of it - emphasis on the content and not how many animated mouseoever effects can fit onto one page.

I don't like the paint splodge design: it may be subliminal, but it makes me think that Lee's venues are going to be very "scout hut" rather than ballroom. I know it's de rigueur these days for websites to have a fixed width, but with so much of the right taken up by the splodge, the content colum does feel excessively narrow.

There seem to be quite a few spelling mistakes ("comming" being particularly glaring) - the site would benefit from a proofreader. There's a broken link on the FAQ page as well.

Sorry if my comments offended you.
    None taken

Sometimes the forest can't be seen for the trees

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin View Post
    but it makes me think that Lee's venues are going to be very "scout hut" rather than ballroom.

Yes Spot on! But I have seen worse - To be fair there are very few good dance venues in the area and the best ones all have well established classes running already. Unless he tries to push someone else out he has to make do with what is left. The area the venue is in is not the best either, so lock up your armoured car if you are going.

There are only two good (Class or Dance) venues in Hastings, two in Bexhill, two in Eastbourne one in Battle, other than school halls.

I this case perhaps we should not judge a book by it's cover...if the teaching and music it is going to be a good as he promises then the other four local MJ organisers should watch their backs.

Perhaps Lee is going to become the king of SWING in Hastings, this could be his first stop towards World domination..

SPROGGS.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SPROGGS View Post

Perhaps Lee is going to become the king of SWING in Hastings, this could be his first stop towards World domination..

SPROGGS.
    Learnt NC2Step off the King of Swing.

Venues around here are abit naff. This one is ok'ish. Fair size. Sprung floor. Air con'd and the biggest bonus, 3K odd of lighting and sound system. Great for keeping starting costs down low.

When I re-do the website, I aim to have a members system where people will put in their membership card number and be able to see a video of the demo for the lessons they have been to.
    Last edited by Lee Bartholomew; 26th-March-2008 at 03:02 PM.

Commercial Operator

Sometimes the forest can't be seen for the trees
    And sometimes, people forget what forests consist of

Welcome to Mo'jive.com &copy is the best one I have come across.

What should be included in an MJ website?
    My advertising advisor said that marketing is what gets thrown away. He was talking about ads & fliers, but I think it is relevant to web sites.

If someone who does not know about your product sees your ad/flier/site they have to look at it before they discard it or read it. In that instant you want them to identify your brand and recognise its relevance. They should see your brand name, logo, colour scheme and layout, and get an idea of the business that you are in both in text and in an image.

Your ad has succeeded in its initial purpose if some viewers can just glimpse it and discard it knowing that it is not relevant to them.

On the other side of the coin, when someone asks them about dance classes in the area they should first think of "Mo'Jive", even though they have no interest at all in dance classes.

e.g. Who cannot name a double-glazing company?

On the home page I would want at least to see "Dance classes" writ large, and a simple, quick loading, animation showing the dance.

Smooth Modern Jive
    Nice site. Crisp and to the point. Typography is good with the close kerning, and yellow is the colour of the month. Not sure about the pink though and the splodges are slightly dated, but gives the site energy. Would be better with the logo at least, and preferably the menu, to the left.

Essential would be a video on the homepage, showing what smooth jive looks like.

A promising start. Keep it simple, ordered and graphic.

Trust me, I'm a designer...
    Last edited by blackisleboy; 27th-March-2008 at 01:50 AM.

Thread Information