Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How will shoes effect my dancing?

How will shoes effect my dancing?

Since I began, I have been dancing in a particular pair of dance-trainers which are very light, very flexible and have a VERY low profile sole, - they're almost like dancing in just a pair of socks. I like these, and I feel smooth and fluid dancing in them.

It's a little difficult to describe, but I tend to slide around a bit when I dance, - - I hate it when the dance floor is sticky as it hinders my natural style of dancing.

I would like to buy some dance-shoes now, but I'm wondering how exactly these will change my movement, if at all?

I am hoping that the soles will provide me with a 'faster' sole than the spin spot on my trainers - but I am wondering that because it is a "shoe" as opposed to a more flexible pair of "trainers" they might hinder me? Maybe slightly more of a 'clumpy' step because of the harder heel??

I know nothing about dance-shoes - what makes a shoe a dance-shoe exactly?

Are dance shoes still really light and flexible like my trainers? Or are they going to make my dancing more of a precise stepping type of movement, as opposed to a slinky-slidey type of movement ( ! ) (I'm really hoping that makes sense to someone, if not I will try and explain further?)

I know the simplest solution would be to go in a shop and try some, - but from experience, I am guessing I am going to have to ask a dance shop to order a specific pair in a specific size in (with no obligation to buy, but I will still feel a little obligated), - - and its a bit of a journey to my nearest decent dance shop also, - which makes the whole process a little awkward.

As for the type of shoe, - I quite like the look of the Black calf Gibson with rico toe:

Last edited by Phil_dB; 15th-March-2009 at 11:16 PM.

Re: How will shoes effect my dancing?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_dB View Post

I know the simplest solution would be to go in a shop and try some,

Not just a simple solution, but the only one, if you want to sure the shoes fit, are comfortable to dance in

Commercial Operator

From the sound of it, you'd get on best with raw leather soles. In my experience, they'll give you the best slide, and they're easy to maintain.

Apart from that, and this is based on experience learned the hard way, with long-term injuries to prove it... you are going to be wearing these shoes a lot, while subjecting your feet to a great deal of abuse. Make comfort and fit your highest priority, and your feet will thank you for it later. My feet still like to remind me of the time two years ago when I ignored this simple fact, and chose the wrong shoes. Trust me when I say that you don't want that...

I've got 2 pairs of ultra comfortable Puma trainers that I've converted into dance shoes with chrome leather soles. The first pair I got an old fashioned cobbler to do, and the second pair I ordered the soles from a dance website and cut and glued them myself - both work a treat !

How will shoes affect your dancing? Well for a start your socks wont get as dirty and it might hurt a bit less when you get trodden on

Where do you lot (men) buy your dance shoes?

I'm looking for a decent pair of leather ones, as straycat pointed out, I am looking for a fast slide.

Also, - how long does a pair of shoes last you out of interest?

I recently went in Dancia International in Drury Lane, they had about 2 different styles to choose from which I didnt like the look of.

Bloch UK had a small handful, bit better but still nothing I was keen on.

Then I tried Gandolfi Marylebone Road, which stocked a SINGLE pair of Oxford's, which i'm not keen on!

I think I will probably make the trip to Heavenly Dance Shoes and try the ones on above, plus the slip-on ones they do which look pretty good. They're hand made shoes, - £75 - so not cheap, - but if they're really comfortable and good to dance in, - and will last me a reasonable amount of time, I'm happy to pay for hand made.

I began dancing in some standard leather brougue type shoes with a smooth sole - very fast and not especially comfortable. I then bought some patent leather ballroom shoes which I quite liked (though true aficianados would advise to avoid patent finish as the shoes can stick to one another when feet are brushing together) Subsequently I moved on to some men's latin cuban heel shoes - 2 pairs both from Freed, one picked up at a Camber weekender from Felix Dancewear with a £20 discount and the others found online, again for a decent discount. I am now so used to wearing these that I find it very difficult dancing for long periods in flat shoes (the flipside is that cubans make the balls of your feet hurt much sooner than flat shoes would - or maybe that's just WCS?) I have to say as well that one of the reasons I looked at the latin shoes initially was because pretty much every single male dancer I admired wore them and I figured they couldn't all be wrong

Where do you lot (men) buy your dance shoes?

I'm looking for a decent pair of leather ones, as straycat pointed out, I am looking for a fast slide.

Also, - how long does a pair of shoes last you out of interest?

I recently went in Dancia International in Drury Lane, they had about 2 different styles to choose from which I didnt like the look of.

Bloch UK had a small handful, bit better but still nothing I was keen on.

Then I tried Gandolfi Marylebone Road, which stocked a SINGLE pair of Oxford's, which i'm not keen on!
    Given who you have tried, I'm a bit surprised not to see Freed on your list. I'd say they're the best shop if you're looking for dance shoes (although Bloch are far better for dance trainers).

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin View Post
    Given who you have tried, I'm a bit surprised not to see Freed on your list. I'd say they're the best shop if you're looking for dance shoes (although Bloch are far better for dance trainers).
    The Freed shop in Covent Garden is not worth visiting if you are after men's shoes though (at least that has been my experience).

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post

Subsequently I moved on to some men's latin cuban heel shoes - 2 pairs both from Freed, one picked up at a Camber weekender from Felix Dancewear with a £20 discount and the others found online, again for a decent discount. I am now so used to wearing these that I find it very difficult dancing for long periods in flat shoes (the flipside is that cubans make the balls of your feet hurt much sooner than flat shoes would - or maybe that's just WCS?) I have to say as well that one of the reasons I looked at the latin shoes initially was because pretty much every single male dancer I admired wore them and I figured they couldn't all be wrong
    Those cuban heels look pretty high from what i've seen on other dancers... - the heels on the shoes i've posted up at the top of this thread look a little shallower, - if they are I think I would prefer them...

I was told by a shop on the phone that Freed only offer suede soled shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    The Freed shop in Covent Garden is not worth visiting if you are after men's shoes though (at least that has been my experience).
    Funny, I've got about 5 or 6 pairs from there. I must just be easily pleased.

Commercial Operator

I bought a pair of shoes similar in style to the ones in your picture, but in different material from Heavenly dance Shoes. You can go on their website & order online, or they usually have a stand at the Jive Addiction weekenders. They will make them to your own spec, so you can pick material, style, type of sole, height of heel, and they will make them. check out http://www.heavenlydanceshoes.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Dance Demon View Post
    I bought a pair of shoes similar in style to the ones in your picture, but in different material from Heavenly dance Shoes. You can go on their website & order online, or they usually have a stand at the Jive Addiction weekenders. They will make them to your own spec, so you can pick material, style, type of sole, height of heel, and they will make them. check out http://www.heavenlydanceshoes.com/
    Oh really, - I didnt realise you could choose the height of the heel etc.

My only concern, is that until the shoes are worn in anger, its difficult to tell exactly how comfortable they'll be.

I spoke to Heavenlydanceshoes, - they said to let them know when i'm visiting and they'll make sure they have the shoes i'm interested in in my size. I will try some on there, and possibly order some in a custom spec if i'm happy with them.

My Bloch's aren't bad, - the only gripe I have about them is that the right shoe does not fit as well as the left. If the floor isn't very slidey then the shoe will crumple around the front where my little toe is when I turn on that foot. Apparently everyone has slightly different sized feet...

My only concern, is that until the shoes are worn in anger, its difficult to tell exactly how comfortable they'll be.
    Why?

Does getting angry make your feet swell?

Using something in "anger" doesn't mean being angry, - it's just an expression used to mean that you'll be using them for real, instead of just prancing about in the shop.

Anyway, back on topic I'm just a little concerned about wasting £75 odd on dance shoes only to discover later on that i'm not overly comfortable dancing in them

Anyway - guess I'll just try and find the most comfortable shoes I can & see how I get on.

Blog Entries

Anyway, back on topic I'm just a little concerned about wasting £75 odd on dance shoes only to discover later on that i'm not overly comfortable dancing in them
    You'd definitely be wearing them in anger then.

(Sorry... it's a thread about shoes, OK...)

Find a pair of shoes you like and are comfortable, then take them to a heel&key place and get some leather or suede soles put on.

BTW always go for comfort over style. if you're going to live in them while dancing and they are uncomfortable, they will make you dance worse and not enjoy it as much.

So apart from the material of the sole, are dance shoes pretty much the same as normal shoes? I would've expected them to be quite a bit lighter and more flexible?

Since I began, I have been dancing in a particular pair of dance-trainers which are very light, very flexible and have a VERY low profile sole, - they're almost like dancing in just a pair of socks. I like these, and I feel smooth and fluid dancing in them.
    If you're comfortable, then the shoes are good.
    It's a little difficult to describe, but I tend to slide around a bit when I dance, - - I hate it when the dance floor is sticky as it hinders my natural style of dancing.
    whether I slip depends on both the shoe and the floor.
    It sounds like you have only learned to dance on one floor.

I would like to buy some dance-shoes now, but I'm wondering how exactly these will change my movement, if at all?
    Different sole materials have different properties. Many dancers use a suede sole; I decided suede was too much trouble.

Currently I have two pairs of dance shoes. One has smooth leather soles, and I usually dance in these shoes.
    My other pair has resin soles. I was told resin has properties similar to suede but requires no maintenance.
    On a slippery (fast) floor, I use the resin soles. On other dance floors I use the plain leather. Outdoors or on unfinished concrete, I wear anything else.

I am hoping that the soles will provide me with a 'faster' sole than the spin spot on my trainers - but I am wondering that because it is a "shoe" as opposed to a more flexible pair of "trainers" they might hinder me? Maybe slightly more of a 'clumpy' step because of the harder heel??
    I doubt it.
    If you are dancing well the heel is almost irrelevant.
    Remember, if you are faster you are less stable -- do not try to dip a woman if you are not completely stable.

Sometimes I take the wrong shoes to a venue. As soon as I realise my instability, there are moves I do not try to lead, including almost all dips and drops (ifI I'm not sure of my own footing I will not ask somebody else to trust her bodyweight to me) (for those who know me and saw me and Fiona in the past week, please note that dancing with Fiona is an exception).

I know nothing about dance-shoes - what makes a shoe a dance-shoe exactly?
    The only specific charactistic I know (for men) is the sole material.
    I have read that women's dance shoes have a stronger support between the heel and ball than ordinary shoes. I'm not sure why, as I would have thought dancers spend more time on their toes/balls than the general population.

Are dance shoes still really light and flexible like my trainers? Or are they going to make my dancing more of a precise stepping type of movement, as opposed to a slinky-slidey type of movement ( ! ) (I'm really hoping that makes sense to someone, if not I will try and explain further?)
    Dance shoes are shoes.
    They fit your feet, and they affect how you feel the ground.
    For male dancers, usually the main criterion is how the shoes affect how you feel the floor.
    Women have the more complex problem of picking something they like that is both comfortable and suits what they are wearing and suits the dance floor.

In general, the style of shoe is only important in regard to whether you would wear that shoe. For dancing, the sole material is what matters. If your balance is great and you like to slide, then you probably want smooth leather soles. Otherwise you want resin or suede (suede is harder to care for).

Many thanks for taking the time to reply.

Quote Originally Posted by timbp View Post
    If you're comfortable, then the shoes are good.

whether I slip depends on both the shoe and the floor.
    It sounds like you have only learned to dance on one floor.
    No, - despite dancing about on average 3x times a week I do not attend a regular venue. My concern is mainly from when I 'pivot' - which I seem to do a lot when I dance (not consciously though). If the floor is sticky and I try to turn (even 90 or less degrees) on the ball of my foot I know that in time my knees &/or ankles will start to give me niggly problems (because of the extra effort placed on the joints needed to pivot/spin/twist).

I doubt it.
    If you are dancing well the heel is almost irrelevant.
    Remember, if you are faster you are less stable -- do not try to dip a woman if you are not completely stable.
    Good point.

I think then, that the best option for me might be a leather sole & something more grippy on the heel, - then, I'll be able to pivot freely, and spin on the ball of my foot, plus have the grip on the heel for when I want to plant myself in preparation for a dip... hmmmm....

The only specific charactistic I know (for men) is the sole material.
    I honestly would've expected the rest of the shoe to be somehow lighter and more flexible than just a normal bog standard shoe, - in that case at least now I have much more choice of what shoes to choose from! As said, it makes sense to me to just get the sole leathered by a cobbler, and leave the heel a little more grippy.

Dance shoes are shoes.
    They fit your feet, and they affect how you feel the ground.
    For male dancers, usually the main criterion is how the shoes affect how you feel the floor.
    Women have the more complex problem of picking something they like that is both comfortable and suits what they are wearing and suits the dance floor.

In general, the style of shoe is only important in regard to whether you would wear that shoe. For dancing, the sole material is what matters. If your balance is great and you like to slide, then you probably want smooth leather soles. Otherwise you want resin or suede (suede is harder to care for).
    Many thanks, - you've been a great help.

Thread Information