Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stamping

Re: Stamping

The one furthest away from your partner to prevent injury (I hope?)

Quote Originally Posted by LMC
    ... stuff ...
    She's alive!!!

Where you been hiding, and will we be seeing you tomorrow?
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by Donna
    No there is two guys up here phil that stamp all the time... you know stamping trev? Dunno the other guys name. There is also a woman who keeps stamping a lot too.. her nickname? the stomping blond!
    Thanks for the info Donna, I'll give her a wide berth!

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by Phil
    Thanks for the info Donna, I'll give her a wide berth!

Imagine if she stamped on your feet with those 3 inch heels!

I was dancing last night, and twice I got really annoyed with men doing really cr*p stamps in the middle of a dance. I hope I'm a fairly smooth leader, and I feel that stamping really stops the flow of the dance.

Two techniques I've considered for stopping other people stamping involve either treading hard on their feet (crude but effective), or kicking them on their shins (similarly effective).

I'm trying desperately to avoid resorting to physical violence, and would appreciate any effective techniques that anyone could suggest.

Many thanks in advance for your help

I have to say that if I normally see a guy stamping then I am like "***" but recently I had my opinion changed when dancing with a guy who was stamping away but who turned out to be a bl**dy good dancer

I find stamping a bit unsettling, in that it always makes me feel as if someone has just fallen over or summat like that, but other than that, I don't have a problem with it. If someone wants to stamp then that's their business.

It isn't just stamping. There is a guy I see often at London venues who punctuates his dancing and the music with the following holler.

"YEEAHHHHHHOOOOOOOO!!"

A fee years ago, I was taking line dance lessons and there was a professional dancer there having a good who punctuated the music with what reminded me of a high-pitched dog woof.

Dancing is about dancing, not vocals.

best
    johnnyman

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyman View Post
    Dancing is about dancing, not vocals.
    True in European cultures. From what I've read, African cultures commonly have dancers who produce noise (with vocals, stamps, and such) and musicians who dance.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    True in European cultures. From what I've read, African cultures commonly have dancers who produce noise (with vocals, stamps, and such) and musicians who dance.

I am told, by my partner who's more of an expert in these things, that there're cultures where there's no distinction between the words for 'music' and 'dance'

On a completely different note, and as (it seems) I missed this thread first time around - I remember (barely) when I started Ceroc (Southampton, very early 90's) - stamping was taught as a part of some moves. The one I chiefly remember was the arm jive - taught as: offer the hand, STAMP STAMP STAMP STAMP (on each of the 'jives')

We were encouraged to stamp as loudly as possible, to make as much noise as possible, and there were enough people to make a lot of noise indeed. The saddest thing about it was that the venue was a hotel, and their restaurant was directly under the dancefloor. The diners did not like the noise (oddly enough) - there were complaints - and ultimately, the hotel decided enough was enough, and a new venue had to be found on very short notice...

Shame - because it was a lovely venue.

Never saw the arm-jive taught in that manner again. Funny that.....

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    On a completely different note, and as (it seems) I missed this thread first time around - I remember (barely) when I started Ceroc (Southampton, very early 90's) - stamping was taught as a part of some moves. The one I chiefly remember was the arm jive - taught as: offer the hand, STAMP STAMP STAMP STAMP (on each of the 'jives')

We were encouraged to stamp as loudly as possible, to make as much noise as possible, and there were enough people to make a lot of noise indeed. The saddest thing about it was that the venue was a hotel, and their restaurant was directly under the dancefloor. The diners did not like the noise (oddly enough) - there were complaints - and ultimately, the hotel decided enough was enough, and a new venue had to be found on very short notice...

Shame - because it was a lovely venue.

Never saw the arm-jive taught in that manner again. Funny that.....
    LOL. That's quite funny. I wonder who was the teacher, can you remember ? If they are still around, I could get some snigger points out of that

The wheel turns anyway, there's only one guy that stamps at MoJive now (that I know of). He's well known, and he turned up at one of the first nights at the new venue with his blakey strengthened stamping shoes. I reckon it was about 0.000000025 nanoseconds between the first stamp and the boss sprinting forward in defense of his expensive brand new dance floor. Funnily enough, the guy ain't been back.

Stamping was been taught at the Utopia lesson in Evesham a couple of months ago

OXO'S was in the class and turned aroud and looked at me and mouthed 'i'm not doing it Fletch honest'

whats all that about

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

When "Is this the way to Amarillo" was being constanly played, you could always guarantee at least 10 people would stamp on the hand clap bits.

There was one bloke who dances around Croydon and Bromley who randomly Stomps. No timing, not in breaks, just stomps. I think he does it because he thinks its funny as he always has a grin on his face when he does it.

All it seemed to do is put all the dancers off from dancing with or near him and earn him the nickname of Mr Stompy Stomp.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    Stamping was been taught at the Utopia lesson in Evesham a couple of months ago
    Taught? How difficult is it? I mean, we're not exactly talking "Stomp" here are we?

Quote Originally Posted by Caro View Post
    a whole dancefloor stamping at the same time... must be funny
    Like Bill Bailey's Single Zen clap of acceptance.. ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    earned him the nickname of Mr Stompy Stomp.
    Wow that took a lot of thought? Mr Stompy Stomp and his friends Mr Spinny Spin , Mrs Hotty Hotshot and
    Mr Hasn't-got-a-major-distinguishing-dance-idiosyncrasy- but-we'll-give-him-a-derogatory-nickname-anyway

I've seen people stomping a few times. Depending on the track it's ok.. it's not something I would do, but if it fits the music then it's fine.. Stamping or stomping (or Clomping, thumping, Banging et al) to excess would be annoying though!

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post
    I've seen people stomping a few times. Depending on the track it's ok.. it's not something I would do, but if it fits the music then it's fine..
    I'm not a big fan - it's never seemed necessary to me to stamp my feet or yell "Yeee-haw" or whatever. And it's distracting to the other couples on the dance floor.
    Last edited by David Bailey; 30th-August-2007 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    And it's distracting to the other couples on the dance floor.
    When ever anyone stamps like that, I want to turn round and see some numpty sprawled on the floor after attempting an ariel, so I can laugh at them, not a 'stamper' giving large and with a 'look at me' expression.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

OK, I confess!.....

There's a certain Spanish-y track that's often played on the circuit and lends itself to a little Flamenco stamping in a couple of places..

So I stamp and thoroughly enjoy it - yes really!

I hear the gasps of horror already!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Go Lory!! Tell me which song so I can join in!

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    Go Lory!! Tell me which song so I can join in!
    Flamenco by Alex Fox

Yeah common Jamie! We can be shunned together!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Thread Information