Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Moves From Hell (and why)

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Moves From Hell (and why)

Quote Originally Posted by DangerousCurves
    I'm afraid that I dont know what such moves are properly called - but I do know I don't like 'em!
    I suspect they're called Block moves

Hmmm, I quite like them - they add drama to some moves.

And if I'm honest, I occasionally like keeping a follower on her toes to make sure she's still awake

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames
    And if I'm honest, I occasionally like keeping a follower on her toes to make sure she's still awake
    Do followers often sleep with you, then?

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lou
    Do followers often sleep with you, then?
    You're just a typical man, always thinking about One Thing...

But I shall resist the blatant attempt to take it upstairs, I've lost 1 thread Outside already.

I was reminded of this fun thread to whinge and rant in by the ochos discussion on the AT thread.

I have to say that I b****y HATE the MJ "Ochos steps with lunge" move. I don't think they are proper ochos for a start, they are just cross steps as far as I can make out from ochos descriptions.

But the really ridiculous bit of the move is that the guy is encouraged to move his hands back and forward (similar to armjive action) to "lead" the steps. Since hardly any leaders seem to get this right (especially double time ), it doesn't help - much easier for both leader and follower if the guy just provides a still frame and lets the follower get on with it IMO.

too early on a Sunday to read the whole thread (sorry) but my most hated move, is the one when the lead makes the follower lean backwards over his knee, then does the same move on the othe knee..... ouch .... ... and

If this move is not performed correctly (and very rarely is) is REALLY really hurts your back

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Not sure it's deserved as have no idea how comfortable it is for a follower but I would nominate what I guess is a hammerlock mambo walk thingy where follower's l/h is behind her back at waist level and r/h is behind her neck and mambo/manhattan steps ensue. I just think it looks dreadful especially where there is a significant height difference between partners forcing the lead to stoop down. Don't like the variant where the leaders and followers steps are offset rather than in a line either.

Robert

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M
    too early on a Sunday to read the whole thread (sorry) but my most hated move, is the one when the lead makes the follower lean backwards over his knee, then does the same move on the othe knee..... ouch .... ... and

If this move is not performed correctly (and very rarely is) is REALLY really hurts your back
    This is my most hated move too. I also dislike blocks that stop you mid spin to send you spinning in the opposite direction. I dont like being spun using my hips either (although i know they're a good sized target for the man!)

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sometimes, something as simple as a double return can feel absolutely horrible.

The reason is, the lead gives the impression that it's only going to be one turn by allowing the momentum to stop and then they turn us again and it feels just awful.

Maybe in some cases the second turn is just an after thought but there's a few leads that seem to do this all the time and I often wonder if they think they're helping, by letting us recover, then spinning us again

The above is anything but helpful! Please keep the inertia going guys!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

robd - when led nicely, that move isn't as uncomfortable as it looks, honest! - and is a really good opportunity for a bit of a chat.

Mangle moves. Hate hate hate hate. 'nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by LMC View Post
    robd - when led nicely, that move isn't as uncomfortable as it looks, honest! - and is a really good opportunity for a bit of a chat.
    Have to agree here. If it's led nice and clearly it's lovely but if it is led by ham-fisted clod wearing clogs then its not so great

My most hated move-

THE MANGLE

anyone who actually knows me might understand why! it really is an excuse for a man to cop a grab on the way over!

Hate it - Hate it

feel better now i've got that one of my chest

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post

it always feels wrong to me!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkles View Post
    Any move that involves the lady ducking (yes that's Ducking Simon R ) under the guy's arm. I never know they're coming, there doesn't seem to be a proper lead or signal for them and yet once committed the guy is always intent on going through with it - to the extent that I nearly get my head knocked off my shoulders .
    Just can't, don't and won't do them!
    S. x
    why do guys insist on leading me into this move - I'm 6'2" for heaven's sake!!!
    Always get bashed in the back of my head and it is very undignified!

Quote Originally Posted by DD+ View Post
    My most hated move-

THE MANGLE

anyone who actually knows me might understand why! it really is an excuse for a man to cop a grab on the way over!

Hate it - Hate it

feel better now i've got that one of my chest
    especially at high speed and when you get made to do them about a million times in one dance!!!

Sorry, the Mangle?

Quote Originally Posted by Genie View Post
    Sorry, the Mangle?

As I recall, Mangles are a family of moves that have the follower's arms crossed on her shoulders at some point (like basket variations, but higher up). The details vary.

The Mangle I know is the one where the entry is kinda complicated (never lead it, so I don't remember the details) but the guy ends up behind the lady with both her hands behind her head and then brings them both over her head forwards - almost always messing up her hair, bashing her head or dislocating one shoulder or other. Followed by a basket exit.

Lovely move

(Actually, to be fair, it can be nice in the right hands - but ought to be classified information only available to considerate leads!)

Thank you for the info. It's not one I think I've been taught and by the sounds of most comments not one I'll try and find out how to do.

Curious though, is it the actual move that is the problem with "Moves from Hell" or is it more the lead, or lack of it? Could you split moves into "horrible" and "horrible when lead badly"? If it has been asked already then my apologies for not reading everything

I think just about any move that doesn't require the lead to have better-than-average flexibility or strength can be a good move 'if lead well'. But there are a selection of moves out there that are not good moves if they are not lead well and can cause some discomfort (being very tall, even a return can be painful for me if not done right )

It's those moves that we all wish were not used by inexperienced leads. Because they can actually really hurt.

Thread Information