Possibly not. But we're doing one here in Dundee tonight
    Shouldn't you be, you know, teaching?

Unless you're posting whilst teaching - in which case

The Forum Legend

Re: This week's routine?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Shouldn't you be, you know, teaching?

Unless you're posting whilst teaching - in which case
    Nah. I'm just DJing. And watching the class.

Posting while teaching is a little much. Even for me!

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp View Post
    Posting while teaching is a little much. Even for me!
    That's gotta be your next Dare though

The Forum Legend

That's gotta be your next Dare though
    It's a good job then that I don't play in that thread...

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp View Post
    It's a good job then that I don't play in that thread...
    Thats OK as long as you have posted there at least once, then you can be dared. We'll just PM it to you.

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    Thats OK as long as you have posted there at least once, then you can be dared. We'll just PM it to you.
    I've posted in that thread. Nobody's even tried to dare me yet.

Not true, you just resisted.

Wuss

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tessalicious View Post
    Not true, you just resisted.

Wuss
    Oh yeah. Mouldbreaker, me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    Where there is room, it is safe, the music is to my taste, and I know I will slot straight into the rythym, I like to try to emulate the professionals and sweep my lady onto the floor with a whoosh and a turny spinny thingy. Get that right and I reckon I've already earned a browny point or two.
    Top tip of the day:

If the venue is full of less experienced ladies and you try this, you might find that you end up just swinging her arm uselessly to one side as she stands there and looks at you like you're some kind of wierdo!

That only happened to me about 4 or 5 times before I realised I'd have to explain it to them first to avoid looking a complete tw@.

Maybe I'll look cool next week?

Red face Re: This week's routine? Intermediate??

I tried out my first intermediate class last night and comparing it with the beginners class the moves were twice as difficult with double amount of parts per move, so the instructor has to work at twice the pace. So comparing it to the beginners class it was = 2*2*2= 6 times as harder!!! In other words it was mayhem and carnage lol…

I new roughly what I was trying to do but some of the important details didn't sink in with the 30 second explanations ….oh it was all good fun!!!

I've already purchased both Ceroc Intermediate DVD's I and II.

Therefore I was wondering if the intermediate classes repeat the same routines on a set pattern like the beginner classes do?

I think it would be a great help if I knew what was going to be happening in class that night so I could study the DVD beforehand, then know in my head what I was trying to do then just iron out the details in class. Rather than everything being a big surprise on the night. Suppose the surprise way does help keep people on there toes!

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: This week's routine? Intermediate??

Hi DundeeDancer and welcome!
    Quote Originally Posted by DundeeDancer View Post
    Therefore I was wondering if the intermediate classes repeat the same routines on a set pattern like the beginner classes do?
    No, I don't believe so - they're pretty much up to the individual teacher to decide what to teach on the night I believe (from the defined set of Ceroc Moves, of course )

Some teachers decide what to teach in advance, some decide on the night...

Quote Originally Posted by DundeeDancer View Post
    I think it would be a great help if I knew what was going to be happening in class that night so I could study the DVD beforehand, then know in my head what I was trying to do then just iron out the details in class. Rather than everything being a big surprise on the night. Suppose the surprise way does help keep people on there toes!
    That's probably unlikely - in the Intermediate class at least.

Welcome to the forum Dundee Dancer. Just beware that it's almost as addictive as dancing!

DJ is right about there not being a set pattern - and you don't tend to get much repetition of moves from week to week in intermediate classes either. If you want to learn moves, you're probably best off doing the intermediate workshops to get the core/classic intermediate moves.

I've spoken to a few early intermediate leads, and they all find it a challenge to remember moves when they first start intermediates, as you can have 3 or 4 new moves each week, but don't get to go over them the following week. What a lot seem to find useful is to try and remember one intermediate move each week or so, not the whole routine as that's too much. Practice it in class with a willing volunteer or two to get it into your head/muscle memory. If you do that over a couple of months, you'll soon build up a nice repertoire of intermediate moves to mix in with your beginner moves.

Good luck

Welcome DundeeDancer, Remember that any follower worthy of the name much prefers beginner moves done well rather than intermediate moves messed up . So take your time and enjoy all dances - don't force yourself.

Cheers
    Whitetiger

The Dashing Moderator

No, I don't believe so - they're pretty much up to the individual teacher to decide what to teach on the night I believe (from the defined set of Ceroc Moves, of course )
    I don't teach or even demo, so I could be wrong, but I believe there are (or were) some guidelines saying:
    • the Intermediate routine should include one of the "Classic" moves (a list of 25 Intermediate moves which are generally among the easier Intermediate moves)
    • There should be one intermediate move which is a variation on one of that evening's Beginner moves
    I could be wrong, though...
    Love dance, will travel

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    I don't teach or even demo, so I could be wrong, but I believe there are (or were) some guidelines saying:
    • the Intermediate routine should include one of the "Classic" moves (a list of 25 Intermediate moves which are generally among the easier Intermediate moves)
    • There should be one intermediate move which is a variation on one of that evening's Beginner moves
    I could be wrong, though...
    That is pretty much my understanding. You will only therefore get limited repetition of the Ceroc Classic moves and one other move is likely to be based on one of the beginner moves. Not all teachers stick to this format though. Some will only do 3 moves, some 4 and some even 5. I have also known the better teachers to sometimes do a move which is a variation or development of a move taught the previous week which can be good if you are a regular attender.

Whatever the moves are, one thing you can be sure of is that leaders new to intermediate will struggle. Try not to worry too much about it - if you can master just one of the moves count the class as a success. Even quite experienced dancers sometimes have problems mastering an entire intermediate routine depending on the teacher. The type of moves taught varies quite a lot depending on the preferences and style of dancing favoured by the teacher. If that style suits you then great, but if not you might be best advised to try another venue with a different teacher if that is an option. If you have a regular partner then you could try dancing as a fixed couple in the intermediate class to begin with as this may make things a bit easier for you.

Thread Information