So far, I like:

• Nokia N96
    • Samsung Tocco
    • Samsung Armani
    • LG KU990
    • LG KP500 Cookie
    • LG Renoir
    • Samsung i900 Omnia
    I had Nokias, I switched to SonyEricsson, I switched back to Nokia. I bought a N95. The N96 is a similar phone.

In my opinion, Sony Ericsson phones are better than Nokias. The N95 and N96 have just as much "stuff" (or more) as an iPhone or Blackberry, but they are so hard to use, you'd never know.

The couple of times I've played with Blackberrys, I found them easy to use, with some really nice features on them. You shouldn't rule them out.

I've no idea about the Samsungs or LG, except that I'm fairly sure that all their smart phones are based on Windows Mobile. That should be enough to make you run a mile.

Really, in the world of smart phones, the iPhones & Blackberrys are at the top, with all the rest far behind.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Re: Phone again...

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    yes i third that.

you can not beat a Nokia. I have an N82.... does all the things a phone is sposed to do these days and has a great camera on it. I think there is a newer version now though. Great big screen as well if ya a bit on the blind side or a little old.
    It depends what you use you phone for. for example I use,

+ Load of txt's
    + Read all my emails and some send emails
    + Camera only used it when some 1 drove into my car
    + Password safe loads
    + Internet quite often
    + Maps never
    + Facebook never
    + Music id, yes if i had it!!!
    + 3-4 day battery life
    + Yes and i talk on it too, not that often thu
    + Fits in pocket nicely (so the ladies don't think i over pleased to see them!)
    + Bluetooth so I can talk in the car!!!

For the the brackberry curve won over the nokia 95 because,
    + Full size keyboard
    + email software
    + Safe software
    + OK battery life ( I tried a nokia N95 it only last 1 day)
    + Looks solid
    + Mini USB for charging very handy as i use my satnav power in car, and my pc at work (why not Nokia?)
    + Most of the case resists scatching

The Nokia are far betta Camera & Media tools, so if they important to you the Nokia is a betta option. iPhones don't have a keyboard so i wonder how easy it is to txt?

I have samys in the past and found them hard to use and the LG i had never seamed to work. I have no idea if they are betta these days.

The blackberry bold looks good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    I've no idea about the Samsungs or LG, except that I'm fairly sure that all their smart phones are based on Windows Mobile. That should be enough to make you run a mile.
    And the Apple fanboy windows bashing continues... still smarting after Microsoft used the "I'm a PC" advert against you ?

the iPhones & Blackberrys are at the top, with all the rest far behind.
    as a HTC WINDOWS MOBILE user and never had any problems. Does all I want with out needing to jailbreak the device and has loads of software out there for download.. oh and it does do video on its cam.

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
    And the Apple fanboy windows bashing continues... still smarting after Microsoft used the "I'm a PC" advert against you ?

as a HTC WINDOWS MOBILE user and never had any problems. Does all I want with out needing to jailbreak the device and has loads of software out there for download.. oh and it does do video on its cam.
    I find it funny that Microsoft are running adverts which are pretty meaningless in this country – Apple only did a few "I'm a PC, I'm a Mac" commercials in the UK, and that was years ago, so the guy saying "I'm a PC" in the Microsoft advert just leaves people .

That said, Apple, Google (missed them in my last post!) & RIM have built phones for the 21st century, based on 21st century technology. Microsoft, Symbian & Palm are still stuck in the 20th century.

Have you compared the usability of old phones with this new generation?

Simple example from my Nokia N95... It can do WiFi & phone-based internet. Why when I open my browser do I have to tell it which one to use? Shouldn't it be obvious?

Oh, and styluses suck.

This looks like the perfect phone...

http://www.pomegranatephone.com/

I just hope it's Mac compatible!

Oh, and styluses suck.
    Actually.. I think you'll find they poke.. that's vacuum cleaners you're thinking of. *

I like my windows mobile.. it looks like a brick granted.. but does everything I want it to do.. 3g (before Iphone had it), EDGE, HSPD, GPS , Wifi , Bluetooth, compatibility with my windows software and software development platform. and a nice tactile proper keyboard.

granted.. the Iphone has the looks but when I weigh up my needs and requirements against an Iphone I find it lacking. When My needs/requirements change I may well change my mind and go for a Blackberry or an Iphone .. in that order.

oh and
    Why when I open my browser do I have to tell it which one to use? Shouldn't it be obvious?
    I use opera on my phone and if I'm in range of my wifi it uses that.. if I'm not it uses 3g etc. where's the problem?

* besides.. I rarely use my stylus.. I use my finger.. the on screen buttons are more than large enough,

This looks like the perfect phone...

http://www.pomegranatephone.com/

I just hope it's Mac compatible!
    Oh I had one of those.. it was fine until the coffee maker backfired while I was using the harmonica burning my lips.. I screamed and it automatically translated it into mandarin accidentally insulting a nearby tourist. He threw his ice cream at me which melted on the projector lens (fusing it in the process) and the sticky ice cream residue clogged up the shaver attachment.

never again.. I'm sticking with the Iron /Toaster/ TV/ record player/ grappling hook/fishing rod DragonFruit phone from now on !!

I like my windows mobile.. it looks like a brick granted.. but does everything I want it to do.. 3g (before Iphone had it), EDGE, HSPD, GPS , Wifi , Bluetooth, compatibility with my windows software and software development platform. and a nice tactile proper keyboard.

granted.. the Iphone has the looks but when I weigh up my needs and requirements against an Iphone I find it lacking. When My needs/requirements change I may well change my mind and go for a Blackberry or an Iphone .. in that order.
    The iPhone doesn't have everything I want in a phone either, which is one of the reasons I don't have one yet. Maybe it'll be there by this time next year...

Oh, I just ready a review for the new Blackberry Storm – it sucks too. The BB Bold looks much better though.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Really, in the world of smart phones, the iPhones & Blackberrys are at the top, with all the rest far behind.
    Yeah, but I don't really want a "smart phone", I want something a bit below that.

Hence my "no iPhones or Blackberrys" comment.

Oh, and styluses suck.
    This I agree with - I'm sure I'd break it or lose it in about 10 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post
    Yeah, but I don't really want a "smart phone", I want something a bit below that.

As far as I know, every one of the phones on your current list is a smart phone.

So if a not-really-really-smart smart phone is OK, you should also take a look at the Samsung i8510 INNOV8 and SonyEricsson C905. Both use Symbian in one form or another.

If you're really, really not wanting a smart phone, maybe have a look at the SonyEricsson K850i.

HTH.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

The Samsung i900 Stulus is pretty cleaver. Would be very hard to use.

I still fail to see what all the fuss is about the Iphone. It struggles and is hardly supported with 3rd party software, has a crappy office clone that corrupts your docs when you transfer them back to PC, has a battery that is built in so when it goes wrong it has to be sent back and it crashes alot.

As for windows mobile, yes it's not ideal but it is the best thing going and whats more, if you dont like the interface, you can just change it to what ever theam you want (there is even an Iphone theme if you are a saddist and it is so similar it is hard to tell!!!!)

Windows mobile is also the only platform that supports Tom Tom software and (AFAIK) Google maps.

I would recommend taking your list of phones down the phone shop and having a play but be warned, our local O2 shop was so desperate to sell us an Iphone we ended up going to Vodaphone !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bartholomew View Post
    Windows mobile is also the only platform that supports Tom Tom software and (AFAIK) Google maps.
    Oh no it isn't, Nokia and SonyEricsson models that don't run windows mobile OS can run TomTom navigator 6 and Nokia, Blackberry, palm etc. can also run google maps.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post

So what do you want then, a reasonably bright or competent phone?

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pmjd View Post
    Oh no it isn't, Nokia and SonyEricsson models that don't run windows mobile OS can run TomTom navigator 6 and Nokia, Blackberry, palm etc. can also run google maps.
    I said AFAIK

Must Be Christmas.. the pantomime season has started

Must Be Christmas.. the pantomime season has started
    Nah, it's just rehearsals this week

Commercial Operator

Nokia, Blackberry, palm etc. can also run google maps.
    - as does the iPhone (which, for that matter, also runs Google Earth)

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Look, I'm not getting a bleedin' iPhone, OK? I'd have to pay money for that... So take your weird iFetishes elsewhere, this thread is All About Me.

The Oracle

I found this quite amusing

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/239556/w...look-like.html

(Apologies if anyone else has posted it)

Ceroc DJ

£35 per month on o2? are you sure you can't get a better deal elsewhere - usually at that price break, t-mob tend to be much cheaper - and as they offer less phones, you have less of a choice to worry about!

Thread Information