View Poll Results: Open or closed toed shoes?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am a girl and I wear open toed shoes

4 11.11%
  • I am a girl and I wear closed toed shoes

16 44.44%
  • I am a girl and it depends on the venue/event

11 30.56%
  • I am a guy and was feeling left out, so I wanted to tick a box

5 13.89%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ladies toes

Ladies toes

Having read the broken toe thread, it got me thinking about toes...

It seems to be rather common for ladies to suffer toe injuries at dancing... but is it thier own fault due to inappropiate footwear?

One girl on friday, had a bloddied big toe, when I asked her how she did it, she said: " I stood on my own toe once, clipped my other shoe with my toe once, and bashed it into a mans foot once" - (well at least she did not go blaming the men)

Thing is , this bloodied toe could have been avoided if she has worn closed toe shoes.

A few weeks ago I felt real bad, as the instructor came forward rather quickly and lodged her toe under my shoe (I was standing still at the time, honest) - although not my fault, I still felt bad about it.
    Again this would not have been a problem with a closed toe.

With my Mr Sensible head on, I would have to ask, "why on earth would you not wear closed toes"?

Is an occational bloddied toe the price to pay for fashion?

2 fairly new girls were looking to buy thier first pair of dance shoes - I advised them to get closed toe shoes, due to safety - Yup, they turned up the next week with open toed shoes [Although they were very pretty shoes]

Time for a poll for the Ladies...

Re: Ladies toes

i'v clicked depends on the venue, but thats not true,you can tell the poll was done by a man

It depends on the 'outfit' silly

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

I've clicked "I wear closed" which I do most of the time, but, as Fletch said, depending on the outfit, one of the 2 or 3 pairs of open-toe shoes I have will get an outing. This is usually when I manage to hurt myself by stepping on my own foot though
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

I'm all for fashion over form here, as I think open toed shoes look much nicer on a woman (obviously depending on the outfit). As far as serious toe injuries go, though, I don't really think they're too common. Certainly no more common than elbow in the face incidents, and we'd all look pretty stupid dancing in full-face crash helmets. Actually, I can think of a few people who would look better!

I wear suede soled, Latin / Ballroom style dance shoes, which offer no protection from a badly placed high heel, but they're are much nicer to dance in than normal shoes, so I wear them and, to be honest, the possibility of being stomped on never really crosses my mind...

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    A few weeks ago I felt real bad, as the instructor came forward rather quickly and lodged her toe under my shoe (I was standing still at the time, honest) - although not my fault, I still felt bad about it.
    That argument might work when somebody runs into the back of your car, but maybe, just maybe, you shouldn't have been standing still at the time

Blog Entries

I tend to catch my ankle with my heels but i have had a nasty incident when a beginner caught my toenail with the front lip on his shoes and it was literally pulled up out of its bed... to say it bled is an understatement. I then proceeded to buy closed shoes but i do wear open toes for freestyles now and then depending on whats being worn obviously.

So i would click open and closed but there is not that option.... HELLO.!!

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post

So i would click open and closed but there is not that option.... HELLO.!!
    I know, I know, I am but a man as Fletch pointed out.

Polls are tricky things...

I was looking to one or the other, or both.

Please see option 3 as, not only venue/event - but also, I wear both/depends upon outfit.

Or should it just be - "I wear what I like when I like, you silly man"

My interest was, % of people who predominatly wear open toes/closed toes.

Maybe I should get DavidBailey to help with poll options that are clear to all

Joking aside, I am interested in the mix. Locally only one girl wears closed toe shoes (but we do have reasonable dance space locally) - Most weeks I can however spot at least one girl holding her toe...

Maybe I should get DavidBailey to help with poll options that are clear to all

Maybe we shouldn't he is just a man after all, Lory would be a better option.

Being very safety conscious by nature I used to always dance with closed toe shoes. Then being in the WCS scene where 99% of ladies wear sandals I finally gave in and bought some. I felt very, very exposed and vulnerable at first - I wouldn't even wear them at MJ venues (you get bumped into more often, ime) at first.

Then I suppose it's like everything else, you get used to it.

I must admit as far as toes are concerned I am the biggest danger to myself as I've managed to step on them with the other foot too.
    But so far nothing too serious.

I've bought again some closed toes shoes (the reason being that those sandals stink like you have no idea) with the same heel as the wcs sandals, but it does feel different. The sandals are so light and flexible it is like freedom for my feet
    Disgustingly stinky freedom, but freedom nonetheless - and my feet have no nose
    Last edited by Caro; 11th-August-2008 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    Maybe we shouldn't he is just a man after all, Lory would be a better option.
    So true, or maybe Tiggerbabe, hence my

One thought leading on from this... If you are wearing open toe shoes and do get an injury of the toe, do you accept it as a fashion injury... coz you could have worn closed shoes and avoided injury?

One thought leading on from this... If you are wearing open toe shoes and do get an injury of the toe, do you accept it as a fashion injury... coz you could have worn closed shoes and avoided injury?
    yes and no. It depends how it happens really... if I'm standing still and some nutter finds a way to step on my toes and injure me, I'd be pretty p1ssed off. But if I'm dancing... I know I'm taking a greater risk of injury. But that still doesn't excuse bad floorcraft.

If I'm going to a venue where floorcraft is notoriously bad (it's rare those days though, being a hot shot and all that ) or overcrowded, I'll think twice about wearing sandals.

Quote Originally Posted by Caro View Post

If I'm going to a venue where floorcraft is notoriously bad (it's rare those days though, being a hot shot and all that ) or overcrowded, I'll think twice about wearing sandals.
    Which is why I added the venue/event option.

Caro, are you a guy, as you seem to think like a guy?

Fletch told me it is all about outfit...

Again, it depends on the outfit, but more importantly these days on the state of my ankles

Ever since my badly sprained ankle, and the chipped bone in the other foot, I've mostly had to wear my flat lace-ups (which means that I'm also in trousers) which happen to be closed, although toe safety as not why I chose them.

However, given fully functioning feet and ankles, then open toed every time. I have narrow feet, and a bunion on my right foot, and in closed shoes with heels as the shoe doesn't hold my foot properly, my foot just slides forward and my big toe gets rammed against the inside of the shoe, hurting my toe and making the bunion inflammed as well. (Happens in most shoes, not just dance shoes.) I've been looking to get some WCS style sandals - but the only ones I've come across so far were far too wide - you could've fitted both my feet under the toe straps

So far, I've had no problems with open toes when I've been wearing them. I'm more likely to get kicked in the ankle by someone else, or have my foot trodden on. I get annoyed when that happens, whatever shoes I'm wearing. Worst time though was when someone came down full force with her stilleto on my right foot when I was wearing Blochs - I swear that she'd have gone right through my foot if I hadn't been However, that was once in 3 years dancing. Again, the nature of the accident would probably dicate my reaction, but I doubt that I'd blame my footwear as open-toed sandals are quite common in the dance world.

Caro, are you a guy, as you seem to think like a guy?
    you know, I've been asking myself the same question lately. (don't ask). Scary thought that is.

Fletch told me it is all about outfit...
    or it could just be that I'm a westie, therefore always in trousers and you don't notice shoes that much... not that I would ever wear blochs anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    Worst time though was when someone came down full force with her stilleto on my right foot when I was wearing Blochs - I swear that she'd have gone right through my foot if I hadn't been
    I was wearing blochs when a stilleto heal went inside my bloch between the left side of the bloch and my foot (near my instep). Amazing - it must have been a very thin heal. It didn't cause any pain or injury.

I used to wear Freed open toe sandles.

Remember my partner stomping on my big toe.

I seem to get more injuries from adjacent dancers (especially women) than my partner though.

Quote Originally Posted by Caro View Post

or it could just be that I'm a westie, therefore always in trousers

I am sure I could take you out of those trousers... PM me for more details

I am sure I could take you out of those trousers...

some have tried...

*now waits for Robd to come up with obvious joke*

Having read the broken toe thread, it got me thinking about toes...

It seems to be rather common for ladies to suffer toe injuries at dancing... but is it thier own fault due to inappropiate footwear?
    I wear open toe shoes but would not describe them as inappropriate as they are dance shoes, therefore designed for dancing in. I accept that my toes may be more vulnerable than in closed in shoes, but they are more comfortable and I don’t have to wear socks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine View Post
    II don’t have to wear socks.
    you gotta love the socks look.

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    you gotta love the socks look.
    the only person I've seen pulling out the socks in sandals look is Tat, and she had some vuitton socks whose monogram matched the colour of the sandal's leather.

I'm not so sure it'd work on me even if I had Vuitton socks, though...

Glitter Queen

I always try and keep my toes protected with closed-toe shoes, mainly because I find that many of the women who were high heels don't know how to handle them properly . I've been trodden on *a lot* over the years (and no, it wasn't all my fault).

People wear what they like for fashion, fair enough, but stiletto heels are dangerous on the dancefloor and I would encourage women who wear them to buy some heel protectors, they are clear plastic and do not detract from the look of your shoes but they do make your them an awful lot safer for the people you might accidentally stand on (aswell as preventing scuffs on wooden floors ).

I would like to get some of the WCS sandals that I have seen around, maybe I will brave it one day...

Thread Information