• Saturday Party in Kirriemuir - 9pm-late

9 12.50%
  • Mariachi Edinburgh Saturday 1st September

11 15.28%
  • Tea Dance Edinburgh Sunday 2nd September

11 15.28%
  • Manchester K's Jook Joint Friday 31st August

1 1.39%
  • Berko Sunday (check first if the floor's sorted)

3 4.17%
  • Pulse at Kidderminster - Saturday

4 5.56%
  • Luton - Friday

0 0%
  • HG Wells Centre, Woking - Sat

3 4.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Friday 31st Aug - Sunday 2nd September

Re: Friday 31st Aug - Sunday 2nd September

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post

any one know if the balcony will be open at Ashton's this Friday it was closed on the last one

Fletch!

Go for it girl!

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by rubyred View Post
    Sound very interesting, just googled it and I see Don is involved, I know Don since my early years of dancing. Does everyone know each other - just a bit anxious if I were to come on my own.
    Wouldn't say so - I don't expect to know that many people there, and some of the group we're going with are very new to the scene...

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

any one know if the balcony will be open at Ashton's this Friday it was closed on the last one
    Yes, I noticed that too.

Possibly some people have been blabbing about it too much on public forums or something.

Hopefully going to some WCS workshops on Sat with Kyle and Sarah, Paul and Cat etc - in Ireland!! Still trying to get details though!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Yes, I noticed that too.

Possibly some people have been blabbing about it too much on public forums or something.
    so David how come you noticed it was closed

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

so David how come you noticed it was closed
    It was the big sign saying "Balcony closed" (on the downstairs door by the bar) that gave me a subtle hint.

I am not dancing this weekend. As sadly for me, it is the opening season for Deaf football league so i have to be in edinburgh on sunday to watch over my team (all men) play .

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Husky_Cat View Post
    I am not dancing this weekend. As sadly for me, it is the opening season for Deaf football league so i have to be in edinburgh on sunday to watch over my team (all men) play .
    I'm sure I'll get flamed for asking these, but I'm genuinely interested (and maybe a little ignorant) so what the hell;

• Do people cheer at Deaf football league matches?
    • Are deaf football players more observant, because they can't hear instructions shouted by other players?
    • Finally, do the referees have trouble stopping play when the player is facing away from them?

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    I'm sure I'll get flamed for asking these, but I'm genuinely interested (and maybe a little ignorant) so what the hell;

• Do people cheer at Deaf football league matches?
    • Are deaf football players more observant, because they can't hear instructions shouted by other players?
    • Finally, do the referees have trouble stopping play when the player is facing away from them?
    As unusual as it is for me NOT to flame Gav

1 - I think people cheer at football for their own purpose through their own enthusiasm, excitement, etc and not for the effect it has on the players (though I will admit that a cheering crowd has an effect on the players)

2 - My own experience of playing football is that most of what happens is based on sight rather than sound. I might shout out to someone that i am in a good position but if they haven't seen me by then I'm unlikely to get a pass anyway

3 - Probably but I guess the reaction of other players around them will make them realise.

Am also guessing that a deaf football league involves people with partial hearing loss as well as those with full hearing loss.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    It was the big sign saying "Balcony closed" (on the downstairs door by the bar) that gave me a subtle hint.
    only asking

purplehyacinth

Ok, I'm going to display my ignorance. What's a Mariachi? And where is a Mariachi found in Edinburgh?

And where and when is the tea dance?

Not that I'm likely to make it to either (work, hmph, grumble, mumble, mutter), but I'd like to know for future reference, or the very remote event that I do manage to sneak some freeish time this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by purpleheather View Post
    Ok, I'm going to display my ignorance. What's a Mariachi? And where is a Mariachi found in Edinburgh?

And where and when is the tea dance?

Not that I'm likely to make it to either (work, hmph, grumble, mumble, mutter), but I'd like to know for future reference, or the very remote event that I do manage to sneak some freeish time this weekend.
    Mariachi is a night of guitar driven modern jive music, DJ'd by Scotlands own CJ - it is being held at Marcos

Tea Dance is also being run CJ & JiveNites, and word has it that one our very own forumites is baking a cake of two for it - for all the details see here

hope that helps and if you make it be sure to say hi!
    Last edited by Yliander; 28th-August-2007 at 09:36 PM.

Commercial Operator

First of all, I would like to clarify that whilst Purple Heather may be a plant, purpleheather isn't!!

Mariachi is an event where only guitar based music is played: this is everything from new tango, wcs, flamenco, blues, country, r'n'r and heavy rock. The basic premise is to allow MJ dancers the opportunity to be more expressive within their dancing. This sits more comfortably with some than with others, but my hope is to make it as accessible, yet still challenging, as possible. I will play many tunes not often played at a standard MJ/Ceroc event, but they are all eminently MJ able. (although there is always the "on the hour experimental track" which does as it says on the tin.)

(I'm not intelligent enough to be able to link, but there is a review thread going on, where U can read what people think of the music played. Again, am unable to link, but I do post my play lists... hopefully as much to share new ideas/tracks as to let dancers know what it was they did/didn't enjoy dancing to)

The whole weekend is in Marcos, and to save advertising, more info is available using the link within my profile.

To answer purpleheather directly, the Sunday tea jive is from 3 til 7.

I have considered this reply carefully. I hope it, respectfully, answers the question but doesn't break forum rules.

Yours, as ever,

CJ.

purplehyacinth

Thanks for the info CJ and Yliander.

Thanks also for the defence CJ - but I would have hoped it wasn't needed. I have been wandering around the forum for a while, and while I'm not the best at identifying myself as purpleheather at freestyles/parties etc, there are a few people out there who know that I am a real live person.

It was a genuine request for info. I am going to be in Edinburgh this weekend (despite having been dragged round the country with work stuff recently), so when I saw in the poll that there were Edinburgh options, I wanted to know what/where/when these were, just in case I managed to get some free time. I had looked at the cerocscotland webpage but could find no mention of the Edinburgh events mentioned in the poll, so decided to ask here. As the events had already been mentioned on the poll, I thought it was a legit request to ask when/where/what they were.

Also, as the people who do know me know, there are times I can be pretty snowed under with work, and I am currently having one of those times - so if I don't show, it's not because I'm not real, but rather because I haven't felt I could leave the work stuff for long enough.

But equally, given all the recent concern over plants, I do appreciate why you might feel concern that someone asking about an event might be a plant, so thank you for the defence, although as I said I hope it is unnecessary (I'd put in a knight-in-shining-armour smilie here if I could only find one).

But equally, given all the recent concern over plants, I do appreciate why you might feel concern that someone asking about an event might be a plant, so thank you for the defence, although as I said I hope it is unnecessary...
    Perhaps CJ just thought the idea of "Purple Heather" being a plant, but "purpleheather" not being, was amusing. I did.

Hope you can make it along.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

purplehyacinth

I appreciated the humour of it too.

Then I thought something along the lines of .... oh dear, that question I posted was rather sparse... and while I know CJ knows I am real and not a plant (we have met in real life), it alerted me to the possibility that someone who doesn't know me might think I was.

Hence the follow up post.

Maybe I'm just getting paranoid in my old age.

Quick question about Slinky's. I noticed that they are gender balancing. For those of us who have booked in advance (my friend hasn't, and might want to just turn up on the day), this is fine as we know we've got our tickets. But you can also get tickets on the door - does this mean, potentially, that you could turn up and be turned away on the night if you wanted to buy your ticket on the door and the gender balance was not in your favour?

And if it doesn't, then how is the gender balance going to be managed?

I appreciated the humour of it too.

Then I thought something along the lines of .... oh dear, that question I posted was rather sparse... and while I know CJ knows I am real and not a plant (we have met in real life), it alerted me to the possibility that someone who doesn't know me might think I was.

Hence the follow up post.

Maybe I'm just getting paranoid in my old age.
    Of course, I know you're not a plant .. but then my views don't count on this topic as it's generally accepted that I'm just a weed

(on account of being a geek with no muscle mass that is!)

Ok, the usual question:

Anyone from Dundee going to the mariachi freestyle on Saturday night? I'd like to go along and see what the hype is all abbout...

CJ knows I am real and not a plant (we have met in real life)
    Yes, I saw you hugging!

We met at the last Free Hugs event we organised!

Thread Information