View Poll Results: How far do you travel to dance?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Weekly - less than 15 mins

7 13.46%
  • Weekly - 15-30 mins

15 28.85%
  • Weekly - 30 mins - 1 hour

16 30.77%
  • Weekly - 1-2 hours

9 17.31%
  • Weekly - 2+ hours

8 15.38%
  • Monthly - less than 15 mins

0 0%
  • Monthly - 15-30 mins

0 0%
  • Monthly - 30 mins - 1 hour

5 9.62%
  • Monthly - 1-2 hours

11 21.15%
  • Monthly - 2+ hours

18 34.62%
  • I only dance in my living room

2 3.85%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How far would you travel?

How far would you travel?

Before I start, yes, I'm sure there's been a thread on this somewhere before. But there are new people or people may have changed their travel patterns. Bear with me and lets go again with this one.

From another thread...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    I don't call a 2 hour journey 'relatively nearby'.
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    me neither - 30 minutes is usually my max driving distance. 5-15 minutes is my preference
    ... and from a 2 hour drive last night to dance I was wondering how far people travel to dance.

Weekly - regular venue/s you attend.

Monthly - eg somewhere you might go for a party night or workshop.

Also included the obligatory 'silly' option for those who enjoy these things.
    Last edited by Lynn; 30th-August-2006 at 04:52 PM.

Re: How far would you travel?

My response is based on getting there on public transport as I don't drive yet (soon!).

It actually took me over 2 hours to get back on the night buses from Chiswick on Saturday. For me, it's also a question of safety - I got stuck in Peckham at 2.45 on Sunday morning as the night bus terminated early. It's my one golden rule about travelling in London - I don't get stuck in Peckham at night, it's bl00dy dangerous.

Therefore, I'm not going to Chiswick again till I can either drive myself or scrounge a lift! Will just go to Hammersmith and treat myself to a cab back (therefore can only afford to do it once a month) or Greenwich for freestyling.

btw Lynn - are the timings for a one way or return journey? I was assuming one way when I repsonded.

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    btw Lynn - are the timings for a one way or return journey? I was assuming one way when I repsonded.
    Sorry, should have said. Yes one way - ie it takes me about 12-15 mins to get to Ceroc on Wed night. And I put travel times rather than distance.

Last night we drove 2 hours each way, to go to an hour long class and dance for another hour or so. But it was worth it.

What about the "silly" option for those of us who cant dance, but keep on trying!!
    2LF

Commercial Operator

As an extra, I've quite happily spent 10+ hours travelling more'n once (I'd probably put this in the twice-yearly bracket, if there was one)

My 4 regular venues are all within half an hour (one is only 5 minutes away), and to be honest I've only done one freestyle (I try to spend the weekend evenings at home with hubby so he doesn't get too grumpy about the amount of time I'm spending dancing!) so I didn't bother replying to that bit. I've been about an hour away for the occasional busk though. I would actually be willing to go a lot further if it weren't for hubby.

Even my closest venues are almost an hour away! Then it's a slippery slope to 2 or 3 hours each way...

Depends on the quality of the product I think I'm going to get. I think it's better to drive for two hours once a week for something I'm really going to enjoy than 40 mins three times a week for a so-so dance experience.

But it's all a bit of a gamble.

I would prefer to dance locally where possible, but the Leicester venue is disappointing, to say the least.

The Forum Legend

I drive over an hour every week each way to go to Aberdeen, and 40 mins each way to go to Perth. I have been known to drive to Glasgow which is 1.5 hours. And even to Inverness, which is somewhat further!

I usually go to most of the dance parties in Scotland, if I'm around when they are on - so that's mostly Aberdeen, Glasgow, and an hour down to Edinburgh.

I drive about 20,000 miles a year, just getting to dance venues!

Of course, it's slightly different for me, since I'm working at the venue!

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat View Post
    Depends on the quality of the product I think I'm going to get.
    Yes, that's how I view it. I don't mind travelling for something that I can't get within closer range - be it teacher/music/dance experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    ... For me, it's also a question of safety - I got stuck in Peckham at 2.45 on Sunday morning as the night bus terminated early....
    They can just terminate the bus short of it's scheduled destination and leave you anywhere at night.

Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post
    They can just terminate the bus short of it's scheduled destination and leave you anywhere at night.
    Yes, they darn well can, and did. Fortunately it wasn't too long till the next one came along (should have been 30 mins, more like 15). It would only have taken another 20 mins for the bus to have reached it's destination and turned around to come back again too. Hence the decision - just not worth risking it.

Mrs Pretzelmeister

I'm lucky to live within a 15 minute drive of 3 regular classes, and to have a car. I am also lucky that if my car does give up the ghost all three venues are on reasonably reliable, frequent bus routes (and if that fails that there's nearly always someone who could give me a lift!)

I have recently started venturing further afield for Saturday parties and workshops. There is a quality/distance/time equation - Stirling/Edinburgh are ok but Dundee is a bit far (unless someone else is doing the driving and I can doze off on the way home!)

All this is about to change as I will be stuck in the depths (well, heights) of New South Wales without access to a car and will be a good 2 hours from regular Ceroc Perhaps it'll make me dance EVERY track when I do get to Ceroc, instead of my usual fussy approach of 'do I like this music?'!

well it's Normally about 20 mins or so to Culter mills from Town and 20 mins back, but I have been to dundee for a party and would probably go further

what's really funny is.. I'm literally less than 5 mins walking distance from JJ's (it's round the corner from me !!) and I don't go to it .. AS I CAN'T BE BOTHERED walking.. so I'd prefer to get driven 20-25 mins than walk a few hundred yards hehe.. sad really

Interesting....

When I started to dance I was 5 minutes from my local venue, with another about 10 minutes away and several within an hour. At that point I danced at least three times a week. I doubt I would have started if I'd had to travel further to a venue.

Then I moved north (for me, a long way north - 6 hours up into a new country!) and now the nearest venue is 45 minutes away, with the next nearest one well over an hour. Now we dance a couple of times a month.

I'd love to be close to more venues, but we'd have to move and then we'd have more travel for work etc.

Bop

Decided to take the plunge and come to a London freestyle...........long journey so am hoping it's gonna be good!

Let's see - within Norwich I have a choice of Ceroc (four nights a week, 5-15 mins drive depending on venue) or another MJ competitor (similar nights and distances). Ignoring Salsa and Argentine Tango and Lindy Hop for the moment I also have the choice of MJ in Thetford, King's Lynn, Bury St Edmunds and Ipswich (the last two in Suffolk). Driving time for these venues is between 30 minutes and one hour. Alas no WCS

If I want to travel further, again just sticking to modern jive, they I have to travel east to the Ceroc Central area (St Neots, Bedford, Kettering, Daventry, Peterborough, Nottingham etc- two to three hours) or south to Ceroc Metro area (Stevenage, Letchworth, Chigwell, Cheshunt etc - two hours). Beyond that is Ceroc London where needless to say the options are manyfold (two and a half to three hours).

I would prefer to go to WCS but this would entail travel to west London or beyond. So in practice nowadays I dance locally hardly at all, manage a couple of weekenders a year and sometimes take advantage of travel for work to fit in a dancing opportunity. When I work out the costs of travel, possible overnight stay and so on, weekenders - especially if highly discounted rates are available - can be too good a deal to miss. So I'm less likely to go for a 200-300 mile roundtrip and pay £30 for a workshop when for little more I can have a whole weekend away.......sad but true.

my answer is based on attending my weekly class every thursday in inverness (15-30mins depending on traffic) but the added travel every weekend to attend party nights often well over the 2 hour mark! with occasional 3 hr journeys on the bus to attend a class just cause....well cause i can!

5 minutes to my local venue, with another two venues within 40 minutes drive. Anything between 11/2 hours to 6 hours to get to a weekend event. But if it was a class or event that i really didn't want to miss, distance and time wouldn't come into it, i would just have to be there.

Thread Information