Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Join me in a pledge!!!!!!!

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Join me in a pledge!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by emmylou25 View Post
    I thought the whole point of ceroc (don't know about other MJ events as not yet made it to any of those) was to make everyone feel welcome and not refuse people a dance. That's the main reason why I've stopped going to salsa because people would look down on me if I asked for a dance because they didn't recognise me as someone they knew (ok, so I might not have been the best dancer, but I wasn't bad, was a reasonable follower and enjoyed the dancing - but as they'd never danced with me they'd never have known), whereas in ceroc I can get to dance with everyone I ask (usually).
    Yes. in fact.

One of the real selling points of Modern Jive is that it is a very friendly scene.

OK, fair enough, there's nothing wrong with wanting to help re-enforce that, but I don't see it as being a major problem to be solved.

Davey baby I am not suggesting this is a major problem.

All I am asking is that people are more open, friendly, approachable and generally nicer in the world of dance. If some people do not want to associate with this then that is a choice for them.

Personally myself and my gang of fellow pledgie's will continue to spread warmth and happiness, fighting injustice and crime along the way.

Ps there may be badges at some stage. Betcha you will want to join then wont ya.

Long live the short lived.

PPs you are a very attractive man, don't think I haven't noticed..................Because I have. peachy buns.

Reading through this thread it comes across that the 'dance' scene is a very stand offish world to get in to and it so isn't. I find that you get back what you put in...I have always since day one felt very wanted and so in turn always make sure new faces feel welcome, if they themselves have that approachable 'aura'.

Like in all walks of life you are going to get unsociable, bitchy, cliquey people and that will never change, but in reality if that is what they are like, I see it as their problem.

I would like to add that a couple of months ago I took a friend to Berko who had never done any sort of dancing before, she had the one beginners lesson that evening and DB was the first to dance with her when the freestyle started and for that I thank him

Now DB is a lovely bloke, all cwtchy and gorgeous, smells like bunch of flowers and is fair and honest.

He is playing Devil's Advocate, and under all that smoke and mirror's he is a Scholar and a gentleman.

He also has an ar*e you could eat your dinner off.

Free badge for DB I say.

I will stand up and say that I will NOT take this pledge.

Why? because I find it demeaning and infantile. I wholeheartedly support the concept behind it, but think that this is in danger of forming more of a "clique" than the refusers and hot-shots do.

I will pledge that I will never refuse a dance, unless toilet etc is a calling, and will do my best to get rid of this clique feeling that some people have raised as an issue.
    Would I make a pledge to step on my right foot after my left, unless I'm not walking etc.? Would I make a pledge to breath out every time I breathed in? Does the irony of it not strike you? : let's make a clique of people to disband other cliques.

I will pledge to dance with at least 3 people I have never danced with at every dance I attend.
    Why 3 people? Why exclude people you have already danced with? Why do I need to be told that there is a threshold that makes you "good" if you're on one side and "bad" if you're on the other? Why encourage segmentation within a dance form that goes a long way to eliminate every other "ism"?
    I won't pledge this because there may be times when I know everyone. There may be times that I don't get the chance to dance with new faces. And more than anything, I object to being tied down to "3 or more".

I will pledge to endeavor to spread nothing but happiness and love in this hobby that I adore so much.
    ? Pledge to try to do something? What's the point in a pledge like that? A pledge is a do not a try - do or do not: there is no try.

Did you take a pledge of allegiance to the queen and country? No? Why do you follow it's laws and live by it's social and ethical ethos? Because you're a part of society and a member of the community. Do you need to take a pledge to the orange flag of MJ to be a part of it's society and part of it's community? Do you need to pledge allegiance to the almighty Franck to post on this forum?
    MJ has an ethos and openness that (as far as I am aware) is unequalled in any other dance form. To become a part of it you just need to turn up, dance and have fun. No pledges, no ties, no curriculum you have to follow, no having to dance with X or Y, no rules on footwork.

Respect for making the pledge, but rabble-rousing should only be for people with a blue face and a cry of "FREEDOM!". {I have the image of an 'army' of MJers all moving forward and DTS crying "Who's with me?" while being carried along with the rest of the battalion.}

Who is with me?

{Edit: that "who's with me" was left in from DTS post by accident, but I like the irony }
    Last edited by Gadget; 26th-October-2008 at 04:32 PM.

So Gadget you are undecided as yet then?

There could be a badge in it you know.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Jay View Post
    I would like to add that a couple of months ago I took a friend to Berko who had never done any sort of dancing before, she had the one beginners lesson that evening and DB was the first to dance with her when the freestyle started and for that I thank him
    Ah, I probably just fancied her.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bailey View Post

If you really want to help new people, then I reckon your best bet is to become a taxi dancer / encourage others to do so.
    Didn't you used to be a taxi dancer David?

If you really want to help new people, then I reckon your best bet is to become a taxi dancer / encourage others to do so.
    glad you stil got your sense of humour david as you know i am a taxi manager and do exactly that

Ah, I probably just fancied her.
    Well she was a french school mistress

then why may i ask didnt you bring her to one of the venues i go to ????

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Back in the paleolithic, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by martingold View Post
    glad you stil got your sense of humour david as you know i am a taxi manager and do exactly that
    So, what you're saying is, you're touting for business?

Quote Originally Posted by martingold View Post
    then why may i ask didnt you bring her to one of the venues i go to ????
    Maybe you should have/of (which one is it?!!) gone to a French School non?

French Polisher - Polish of the pledge variety - Pledge....so I was nearly on topic

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    Davey baby I am not suggesting this is a major problem.

All I am asking is that people are more open, friendly, approachable and generally nicer in the world of dance. If some people do not want to associate with this then that is a choice for them.

Personally myself and my gang of fellow pledgie's will continue to spread warmth and happiness, fighting injustice and crime along the way.

Ps there may be badges at some stage. Betcha you will want to join then wont ya.

Long live the short lived.

PPs you are a very attractive man, don't think I haven't noticed..................Because I have. peachy buns.
    i'm with you DTS

Now DB is a lovely bloke,

i'll take your word for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
    I will stand up and say that I will NOT take this pledge.

Why? because I find it demeaning and infantile. I wholeheartedly support the concept behind it, but think that this is in danger of forming more of a "clique" than the refusers and hot-shots do.

Would I make a pledge to step on my right foot after my left, unless I'm not walking etc.? Would I make a pledge to breath out every time I breathed in? Does the irony of it not strike you? : let's make a clique of people to disband other cliques.

Why 3 people? Why exclude people you have already danced with?
    Why do I need to be told that there is a threshold that makes you "good" if you're on one side and "bad" if you're on the other? Why encourage segmentation within a dance form that goes a long way to eliminate every other "ism"?
    I won't pledge this because there may be times when I know everyone. There may be times that I don't get the chance to dance with new faces. And more than anything, I object to being tied down to "3 or more".

? Pledge to try to do something? What's the point in a pledge like that? A pledge is a do not a try - do or do not: there is no try.

Did you take a pledge of allegiance to the queen and country? No? Why do you follow it's laws and live by it's social and ethical ethos? Because you're a part of society and a member of the community. Do you need to take a pledge to the orange flag of MJ to be a part of it's society and part of it's community? Do you need to pledge allegiance to the almighty Franck to post on this forum?
    MJ has an ethos and openness that (as far as I am aware) is unequalled in any other dance form. To become a part of it you just need to turn up, dance and have fun. No pledges, no ties, no curriculum you have to follow, no having to dance with X or Y, no rules on footwork.

Respect for making the pledge, but rabble-rousing should only be for people with a blue face and a cry of "FREEDOM!". {I have the image of an 'army' of MJers all moving forward and DTS crying "Who's with me?" while being carried along with the rest of the battalion.}

Who is with me?

{Edit: that "who's with me" was left in from DTS post by accident, but I like the irony
    I do some times wonder on this forum ?

I get what DTS is trying to say, when there are newbies around I allways say i'll point out some of the friendly people that will help you, and i'll also point out some of the people that can be a little unforgiving.

I think DTS is trying to say i'm friendly and aprochable whos with me.

I do feel that some times no matter what the 'good intentions' some one will poopoo it

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    We all have journes weather its taxi, DJ, manager, teacher, or just Thursday out cos the other half is doing somthing else.

I don't belive the best way to help newbies is to become a taxi, there are lots of way you could help, wanting to is a good start.

... At worse, it'll make things worse for the reasons I outlined ("charity dance" feelings, basically)...
    One of the lessons one has to learn in life is that sometimes accepting charity can be as pleasure giving as giving it. I am grateful for all the ladies that accept my offers of a dance. I am some lot of them would rather not. Usually I can bring something to the dance to raise a genuine smile. Another of life's lessons is not to judge books by their cover. That works both ways.

...So I'm not sure that there's a major problem needing to be solved here...
    I bumped into an ex-Cerocer Saturday (literally). She said she did not come any more because she did not have a partner, and did not get enough dances.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    One of the lessons one has to learn in life is that sometimes accepting charity can be as pleasure giving as giving it. I am grateful for all the ladies that accept my offers of a dance. I am some lot of them would rather not. Usually I can bring something to the dance to raise a genuine smile. Another of life's lessons is not to judge books by their cover. That works both ways.

I bumped into an ex-Cerocer Saturday (literally). She said she did not come any more because she did not have a partner, and did not get enough dances.

hoooooblummmin hoooooray

There are a lot of judgmental people and this forum has its fair share, excepting each others differences isn't easy especialy when its opersite to our own.

aparently i'm scary till you get to know me.

Please note, I disassociate myself from DTS's self-appointed crusade, not from the need to be open, friendly, etc etc, which IMO is a matter for private & personal choice, not something which it is necessary to boast about all over the forum.

Not supporting "the pledge" is not the same thing as not supporting being approachable and generally nice etc etc.

"Discretion is the better part of valour." Took me years to understand what that meant.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget View Post

Do I the wise words of a jedi master spot? and, of course,
    Go Yoda! In these words there is wisdom much think I.

If ever my space vehicle crashes into a swamp who am I gonna call?
    PLEDGE BUSTERS.

I ain't afraid of no pledge

Enough with the film references.

Maybe this whole pledge thing just needs a rallying song to unite behind. Here is my humble suggestion (to the tune of The Eton Boating Song):

You may be feeling weary
    you may be feeling low
    nearing the end of a freestyle
    with such a long drive home to go.
    But we all dance together
    one for all and all for one
    yes we all dance together
    until all the dancing's done.

You may be feeling weary
    you may be feeling blue
    you may be thinking the DJ
    is playing cruel tricks on you.
    But we all dance together ... etc

Fab isn't it
    I thank you

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    One of the lessons one has to learn in life is that sometimes accepting charity can be as pleasure giving as giving it.
    A counter-example is a particularly ugly moment at a weekender a couple of years back, when a well-known individual gave a "charity dance" to someone.

It made her night - right up until the point where he went back to his cronies and started laughing about it.

I'm not suggesting that this would ever happen in this scheme, but it does demonstrate that there's a danger in dancing with someone that you don't really want to dance with. And it's unwise to assume, just because some of us think this scheme is wrong, that we're all automatically unapproachable or don't help beginners. In fact, it's stupid to assume that.

The real solution, of course, is to get people to want to dance with lots of others, especially beginners.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think its the rebel in me that prevents me from taking this pledge.

I want to dance with people cos I 'want' to dance with them, not cos I feel burdened by some sense of duty, cos I've taken a pledge!

Sorry folks
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Thread Information