View Poll Results: Dance Competitions! What do u feel about them?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like taking part in MJ competitions

18 30.51%
  • I would like to enter, but haven't so far

12 20.34%
  • I can't imagine myself entering a competition

2 3.39%
  • I would only enter Dance With A Stranger

4 6.78%
  • I would only do a local competition

3 5.08%
  • I wish there were more options for newcomers/novices

6 10.17%
  • I would like a partner please!

14 23.73%
  • I like to watch/support, but wouldn't enter

4 6.78%
  • I think dance competitions are evil (expect 1 answer!)

6 10.17%
  • I'm not interested in competitions at all

10 16.95%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Dance Competitions! What do u feel about them?

Commercial Operator
    I think that you can think too much and talk too much about competitions. Patrick seems to like talking about competitions more than he likes entering them. It seems to me that Patrick rather likes finding reasons why he shouldn't attend a competition he's entered. And he'd like other people to back his decision. This behavior is the territory of psychologists, not dancers.

The decision is simple. If you like competitions you should enter them. If you don't like competitions you should let other people enter them rather than try to put them off.

Me? I like competitions and can't wait to see the Britrock DVD so I can see how it all went

errr.. in the back of my car with my microphone..anyone else want teacher cover...just call (everyone else has...!!!)

Re: Dance Competitions! What do u feel about them?

Did someone ask for a psychologist (or Psychotherapist...???)

G...
    Gordy
    ~ It's a Dance Thing ~

'Τα δόντια μου είναι μου δικοί - οι γόμμες δεν είναι'

www.vatsim-uk.org

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon J Pownall View Post
    Did someone ask for a psychologist (or Psychotherapist...???)

G...
    Hello Gordon!

A neurologist once told me that anyone who goes to see a psychiatrist must need their head examined... But I expect you've heard that one!

I think psychotherapists have more empathy than either. So who needs their head examined?

I think psychology, including dance psychology, is fascinating. Dance psychotherapy could be a growing market... it's murder on the dancefloor!

Can u book me in next week?...

Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    I think that you can think too much and talk too much about competitions. Patrick seems to like talking about competitions more than he likes entering them. It seems to me that Patrick rather likes finding reasons why he shouldn't attend a competition he's entered. And he'd like other people to back his decision. This behavior is the territory of psychologists, not dancers.

The decision is simple. If you like competitions you should enter them. If you don't like competitions you should let other people enter them rather than try to put them off.

Me? I like competitions and can't wait to see the Britrock DVD so I can see how it all went
    I think this is rather unfair Andy. My enthusiasm for competitions should be obvious from what I've posted. I've entered 4 competitions in less than 4 months. Brit Rock was the first time I didn't turn up, and that was because my partner was too scared to go in the end. If there had been a novice section, she probably would have been OK. Neither of us was interested in DWAS, we wanted to dance with each other, which is why we got together. I am gutted that we missed the competition, I love the excitement, and watching others do their stuff. I owe the rapid progress I've made in the last few months to doing competitions.

I appreciated the advice you gave me a while back, and took up your top tip. I got some excellent private coaching from a top couple at Breeze, which was very worthwhile. Sadly, my partner wasn't there, she hoped I would find a last minute replacement, but I didn't.

I posted this poll, not to score points, but because I am fascinated by the subject, and especially why so many dancers are not interested in or scared of, competitions. The results so far are a great surprise to me. For instance no-one has said that they can't imagine entering a competition. In my experience the vast majority of dancers say they would never enter anything. I expect those on this forum are keener than average, and those not intereseted in competitions haven't bothered to answer the poll.

I admit that my comments about DWAS were rather OTT, I was upset at the time. I apologise. I know that many people enjoy DWAS, and I appreciate your efforts to make it 'fairer' or more exciting in some way. I realise now, having been probed on the subject by an excellent MJ teacher last week, that my bad experience with DWAS is because of the scheduling, rather than the nature of the category itself. It usually comes just before the first round of the Intermediates. Both times I did DWAS, it distracted me from being ready for the Intermediate section, which is what I went for mostly. I think Advanced and higher dancers could more easily cope with this distraction, so put DWAS before their first rounds!

I really do believe there should be a category just for newcomers, as well as, not instead of DWAS. (I only just found out that in some DWAS competitions, you are only allowed to enter if you have never entered any competition before. That would make more sense to me).

Apologies if this is too much talking, I'll get on to preparing for the Midlands Champs soon!

I'd like to see the Brit Rock DVD too. See my first post in this thread.

Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post

I'd like to see the Brit Rock DVD too. See my first post in this thread.

Patrick
    Oops! I meant first post in the "Brit Rock 2006 - How did it go?" thread.

Commercial Operator

I expect those on this forum are keener than average, and those not intereseted in competitions haven't bothered to answer the poll.
    I haven't answered the poll, 'cos I'm a picky git, and there isn't an option matching my precise feelings about competitions

To wit: I don't usually do competitions, but will on a completely impromptu basis if I happen to be somewhere where a) there's a fairly fun event (DWAS or a fun blues comp or the like), and b) I'm in the right mood.

Reasons are given in earlier posts.

Blog Entries

With Brit Rock now in the past, my thoughts are on -

2. "Why are most dancers apparently not interested, or even scared of them?"
    I haven't competed yet, but much to my surprise, I've just been invited to enter the Open Jive competition with someone whom I never dreamed would ask little old me!

Had a look at the categories and I don't fit in the Novice category (so she certainly doesn't).
    Why should I be scared of competitions?
    Well how about because you could be a dancer with 10 months experience up against couples that have been competing together for more than 10 years in theory?
    Sounds like a good reason to be scared to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    I haven't competed yet, but much to my surprise, I've just been invited to enter the Open Jive competition with someone whom I never dreamed would ask little old me!

Had a look at the categories and I don't fit in the Novice category (so she certainly doesn't).
    Why should I be scared of competitions?
    Well how about because you could be a dancer with 10 months experience up against couples that have been competing together for more than 10 years in theory?
    Sounds like a good reason to be scared to me.
    Thanks Gav. So which is the Open Jive competition then? Don't think I know that one. So don't know the rules. Sometimes you will qualify for a category if one, not necessarily both partners have the relevant (lack of) experience.

I have been completely outclassed in all the competitions I've entered! The gap between getting to the second round and to the final is huge I think. Esp in Intermediates. I wasn't scared of this, knew I would look like a beginner in comparison, but some people are scared. What I am scared of is... (I'm too scared to tell!)

Blog Entries

Thanks Gav. So which is the Open Jive competition then? Don't think I know that one. So don't know the rules. Sometimes you will qualify for a category if one, not necessarily both partners have the relevant (lack of) experience.

I have been completely outclassed in all the competitions I've entered! The gap between getting to the second round and to the final is huge I think. Esp in Intermediates. I wasn't scared of this, knew I would look like a beginner in comparison, but some people are scared. What I am scared of is... (I'm too scared to tell!)
    www.achance2dance.co.uk
    Doesn't seem to be as comprehensively organised as CerocChamps, less detailed rules, slightly rough website. but it's been going for a fair few years and is held at the Blackpool Tower Ballroom.

Bless her, she's really keen, but I think it's madness personally.

Commercial Operator

www.achance2dance.co.uk
    Doesn't seem to be as comprehensively organised as CerocChamps, less detailed rules, slightly rough website. but it's been going for a fair few years and is held at the Blackpool Tower Ballroom.
    The Blackpool Competition is THE one to win, the one to enter and the one to watch. Don't be put off by the website, this is an independent competition run by people who have no other commercial interest in Modern Jive. On the other hand, you might like to consider the Ceroc Champs with this thought in mind - If McDonalds ran a burger making competition whose chefs would be likely to win? And how would you feel if you were an independent burger chef and were considering entering? On the other hand, the Blackpool competition is completely independent.

On the other hand, you might like to consider the Ceroc Champs with this thought in mind - If McDonalds ran a burger making competition whose chefs would be likely to win?
    Hmm. Given some of the decisions at Britrock I am not sure you (and I know you personally weren't on the judging panel there) should be casting aspersions on the judging at other competitions no matter how much I might agree with you.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    Hmm. Given some of the decisions at Britrock I am not sure you (and I know you personally weren't on the judging panel there) should be casting aspersions on the judging at other competitions no matter how much I might agree with you.
    I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the judging decisions of the Ceroc champs (not this time ). What I am saying is that a Ceroc championships is likely to judge dancers based on how good they are at dancing the way Ceroc teach - in the same was as a McDonalds sponsored burger making competition would judge against McDonalds benchmarks.

An independent competition is more likely to have a mix of judges. And that is exactly what happenned at Britrock. I didn't see much of the heats as I was mostly hiding in a back room doing the sums to work out who the judges had promoted and where people had placed. Therefore I can't comment on my own opinion of the results. One thing I can tell you is that the judges only agreed on one result. Most of the other decisions were 3 to 2! This means that at least 2 of the judges didn't agree with the results either. But that is what competitions are all about. Its all about the the judges decisions and the judges were a mixed bunch of experts so it's no surprise that other people disagree with the results.

www.achance2dance.co.uk

Bless her, she's really keen, but I think it's madness personally.
    Yes I did wonder. I only know this one as "BLACKPOOL!!!!!" I was going to break it gently to you, but Andy has spilled the beans. It is by reputation THE BIG ONE of the year. I'd only just started Ceroc when it was on this year, so I haven't been. Not even started to think about that one yet. Until now Some people think the Ceroc Champs is the Big One, but I haven't been to that either, so can't really say.

Well there's nothing like starting at the top! I'm sure you will have fun, but I think it works best if you both have similar levels of keeness, especially if one partner is more experienced. If you're not sure you want to do it, tell her now, not later!

The Blackpool Competition is THE one to win, the one to enter and the one to watch.
    I guess we agree on this then Andy! The other stuff, I don't know yet. I'd better have a look at the Ceroc Champs DVD I just bought. Will get Brit Rock too.
    Patrick
    Last edited by Patrick; 18th-October-2006 at 06:28 PM.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

But that is what competitions are all about. Its all about the the judges decisions and the judges were a mixed bunch of experts so it's no surprise that other people disagree with the results.
    Especially because no-one really knows what Modern Jive is about anyway. Go on, define it - I dare you. I double dare you, in fact.

At least the Ceroc version of MJ is slightly better-defined. To continue your analogy, it's not surprising that the people who are best at making a McDonald's style of burger are the McDonald's employees.

Judging "The Best Burger Ever" would be a damn sight more difficult and controversial - whatever criteria and wieghting you use, someone will disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Judging "The Best Burger Ever" would be a damn sight more difficult and controversial - whatever criteria and wieghting you use, someone will disagree.
    As opposed to the other option, where everyone but McDonald's staff would disagree.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Baruch View Post
    As opposed to the other option, where everyone but McDonald's staff would disagree.
    So, hummm, what you're saying is, MJ dance competitions are basically pointless?

Well, could be - I never thought of it that way...

Blog Entries

The Blackpool Competition is THE one to win, the one to enter and the one to watch. Don't be put off by the website, this is an independent competition run by people who have no other commercial interest in Modern Jive. On the other hand, you might like to consider the Ceroc Champs with this thought in mind - If McDonalds ran a burger making competition whose chefs would be likely to win? And how would you feel if you were an independent burger chef and were considering entering? On the other hand, the Blackpool competition is completely independent.
    The only thing I'd considered up until now is that she might be slightly unbalanced. Now I'm considering that she's slightly unbalanced and poorly informed too!

If you've joined the forum without telling me, sorry it's true, you're off your chump.

Commercial Operator

The only thing I'd considered up until now is that she might be slightly unbalanced. Now I'm considering that she's slightly unbalanced and poorly informed too!

If you've joined the forum without telling me, sorry it's true, you're off your chump.
    Did I miss something?

Blog Entries

Not really, I did say I thought she was mad to ask me and now I find out that it's a much bigger comp than I had originally thought as well.

Commercial Operator

Not really, I did say I thought she was mad to ask me and now I find out that it's a much bigger comp than I had originally thought as well.
    Ahh, makes sense now.

My advice with competitions is to enter your first competition before you're ready. Then, when your dancing's ready, it won't be your first competition.

IMHO, dance competitions are all about the enjoyment of the day. If you find it painfully stressful you should become a spectator.

Thread Information