Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HELP - New to Ipod - Doesn't Bl**dy Work

Re: HELP - New to Ipod - Doesn't Bl**dy Work

Well, aside from the fact that it was telling me it would take 2 1/2 hours to download iTunes - it also lists Broadband connection as a prerequisite to using it. So I guess its not an option on dial up.

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    iTunes makes it easy, just so long as you are able to install it. You could try installing it now and getting familiar with it. It makes a pretty good music player in itself.
    OK, I'm just starting to use it (I perservered, my phone bill came in and despite being on here loads, I'm still using only about £10 per month on dial up, so will take my time and get broadband when I get time to think about laptop options).

But - I so far can't see any immediate pluses over MediaPlayer. I can't seem to rename tracks (it did convert them all for me, no probs there) or get an easy 'play/pause/forward' tool in the bottom bar - both of which were dead easy in MediaPlayer. (The latter not too big a prob as my keyboard has these keys).

Haven't tried to buy any music yet - might not even be that practical on dialup.

Meglio del Cioccolato Demo

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    OK, I'm just starting to use it (I perservered, my phone bill came in and despite being on here loads, I'm still using only about £10 per month on dial up, so will take my time and get broadband when I get time to think about laptop options).

But - I so far can't see any immediate pluses over MediaPlayer. I can't seem to rename tracks (it did convert them all for me, no probs there) or get an easy 'play/pause/forward' tool in the bottom bar - both of which were dead easy in MediaPlayer. (The latter not too big a prob as my keyboard has these keys).

Haven't tried to buy any music yet - might not even be that practical on dialup.
    on a mac, if you click once on the name of the track that is highlighted you can rename it, otherwise you could do it from the "get info" screen, useful if you need to change details of more than one track. For the buttons in the toolbar I can't help, sorry.

OK, I'm just starting to use it ...

Azande covered renaming tracks (clicking a second time on the name, or via "Get Info"). For minimised controls, iTunes has a preference setting (Preferences -> Advanced -> General, at the bottom) which will put an iTunes icon in your system tray and allows iTunes to be minimised to there – no idea though if it does exactly what you want though...

There's always one free track on the front page of the store – makes it easy to try it...
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by azande View Post
    on a mac, if you click once on the name of the track that is highlighted you can rename it, otherwise you could do it from the "get info" screen, useful if you need to change details of more than one track.
    Ah, now I see where I'm going wrong. I'm on a PC.

(I had already tried the first option as that's what I did in MediaPlayer - which I know isn't the best, I found RealPlayer easier on another PC but don't have it on mine.) Will try the 'get info' method. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    For minimised controls, iTunes has a preference setting (Preferences -> Advanced -> General, at the bottom) which will put an iTunes icon in your system tray and allows iTunes to be minimised to there – no idea though if it does exactly what you want though...

There's always one free track on the front page of the store – makes it easy to try it...
    I just want an easy to see minimised 'pause/play/next track/last track/what's playing' - mostly I guess because I got used to having it.

I did download a couple of tracks last night - being on dial up they took about 10 mins each (!) but I wanted to give it a try.

Blog Entries

And I don't mean to worry you unduly, Lynn, but there's a report out today that some new iPods are infected with a virus.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10...rus_infection/

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    And I don't mean to worry you unduly, Lynn, but there's a report out today that some new iPods are infected with a virus.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10...rus_infection/
    That's OK - because I don't actually have an Ipod (yet). Not sure which one Chicklet bought.

Commercial Operator

Ah, now I see where I'm going wrong. I'm on a PC.
    On PC right click then select get info & then choose the info tab to edit the displayed text

Omnipotent Moderatrix (LMC)

I tried to purchase a track through iTunes Music store last night, but got an 'Upgrade to iTunes7' screen. As all merry hell broke out when I last upgraded iTunes (something to do with my drivers involving much screaming and tearing of hair) I am not anxious to upgrade again (while I still have une PC ancienne) and risk losing my music collection . Does anyone know a work around?

Alternatively, does anyone know a better place to buy tunes online...? (compatible with iTunes, obv )

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Probably a very obvious question but...

If I download iTunes and buy music (the 79p a track option I believe?) can I then make up my own playlists and burn them to a CD? (to listen to in the car mainly).
    I didnt realise you needed to use itunes to transfer your music to an Ipod, there are plenty of mp3 players where that is not required. You can get an mp3 player for £5.99 now that takes SD cards (£18 for a 1gb one) and itll play both wma and mp3 so there is none of this IPod conversion nonsense, that really should not be needed.

Lynn: Converting to CD is also a lot of hassle - why not just get a £30 fm transmitter and plug your actual mp3 player into it (or usb memory stick)?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

also......i still dont understand why people buy ANY tracks from itunes when they are restricted in where they can play them - www.allofmp3.com for unrestricted tracks at 1\10th of the price.....you know it makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    also......i still dont understand why people buy ANY tracks from itunes when they are restricted in where they can play them - www.allofmp3.com for unrestricted tracks at 1\10th of the price.....you know it makes sense.
    That's why I asked

I didnt realise you needed to use itunes to transfer your music to an Ipod, there are plenty of mp3 players where that is not required. You can get an mp3 player for £5.99 now that takes SD cards (£18 for a 1gb one) and itll play both wma and mp3 so there is none of this IPod conversion nonsense, that really should not be needed.
    That's a lot cheaper than an Ipod!
    Lynn: Converting to CD is also a lot of hassle - why not just get a £30 fm transmitter and plug your actual mp3 player into it (or usb memory stick)?
    So how do I attach this to my CD players? (House and car).

Will check out that other site. I thought that iTunes was 'the' site for buying music - good to know about other ones. I'm totally new to this 'buying music online' but as I often want specific tracks rather than a whole album, I like it.

Of course, the tune I was trying to get last night isn't available on allofmp3....

The Dashing Moderator

www.allofmp3.com for unrestricted tracks at 1\10th of the price.....you know it makes sense.
    But not if you use Visa or Mastercard.
    Love dance, will travel

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    But not if you use Visa or Mastercard.
    despite the news article they still seems to accept card payments !

allofmp3.com may not have everything but it appears to have more than most online music services - and at a sound quality picked by YOU

for the £5.99 mp3 players heres a choice of 2

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/89015
    http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/100318

SD cards you can get from ebuyer.co.uk or 7dayshop.co.uk

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

despite the news article they still seems to accept card payments !

allofmp3.com may not have everything but it appears to have more than most online music services - and at a sound quality picked by YOU

for the £5.99 mp3 players heres a choice of 2

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/89015
    http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/100318

SD cards you can get from ebuyer.co.uk or 7dayshop.co.uk
    ok tell a lie - neither of those seem to do wma - hmm cant remember where i saw that now...

A couple of itunes alternatives

There's http://www.emusic.com/

A subscription based service, first 22 free and various amounts of cash to download various amounts of music in mp3 format.

Don't know what the range is like, just lists itself as large collection of independent labels.

There's also http://magnatune.com/

and for more electronic house type stuff there's warp records
    http://www.warprecords.com/

Haven't tried any of them but I would avoid allofmp3 and mp3sugar, just on instinct and the seems to good to be true feeling.

Blog Entries

Thanks for all the info folks, dug out old laptop from behind the piano and managed to get I-tunes on to it...have no desire to buy any downloads...well not until I get all my own stuff on to it first...up to "C" so a long way to go yet.

Now - more top tips requested
    I am uselss at the wiggle pad - what's the trick?
    And WHERE oh WHERE is the volume button??????????

ta
    C

Wiggle pad?

On the iPod, when it's in normal playing mode, showing the current song playing, "turning" the touch wheel adjusts the volume. Pressing the centre button changes the mode though to also allow you to skip forward and back, and change the rating on the track.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Thread Information