Thread: Fri. 16th may...Route 66

Commercial Operator

Fri. 16th may...Route 66

Just a wee reminder that it is Route 66 time again this Friday.
    Dr. Feelgood will be playing his special blend of rock, blues & rock'n'roll, and I'll be spinning the usual blend of roots R'n' B, doo Wop, swing, and soul..........check out all the details on www.route66jive.com
    see y'all on Friday

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: Fri. 16th may...Route 66

If anyone isn't quite sure how to get to Route66. Click here for a detailed map from multimap.co.uk(westfield avenue on the left).

Theres a good map already on route66 website but multimap lets you zoom out if you're not even sure where Edinburgh is .

Commercial Operator

R66

Looking forward to a good boogie.....

Had a great time last night - thanks to DD & crew for making me feel very welcome!

Commercial Operator
    No problemo Graham......our pleasure, just a pity more Edinburgh people didn't make it, but much appreciated that the people from Glasgow, Fife and Dundee braved the elements

Versailles (yeah, in the chateau itself !)
    Great night DD!!! (not forgetting the "& co.", of course...) You are such a good host.

It can be good when it's not full to bursting point cos you get to dance with those fab dancers lots and lots and lots without feeling like one of those stalkers and you get enough space to do your thang....

See you soon.

Wxxx

PS What were the tracks you played at the very end.... magic !!... don't even know what category of music that is... is it jazz ??.... you know.. Cantaloop kinda stuff ???... love that !!!! And Brady indulged me right up to the end.... my boy (sigh...).. as did BTC Rob....

Commercial Operator

Jazz

Yes Wendy, I s'pose you could class it as jazz. Can't remember them all as I didn't write them down but off the top of my head the last 3 or 4 tracks were;

Green onions..........Booker T & the MGs
    Let There Be Love......Nat King Cole
    Hard Work.......John Handy
    Watermelon Man......mongo santamaria
    Wade In The Water........Ramsay Lewis....( like this instrumental version for talking over to say goodnight etc, I also sometimes use The in crowd by Ramsay Lewis...which is the track jimmy Saville used to use as his signature music for the old record club on sunday afternoons, many moons ago)

And the final track was Someday by Lee Dorsey( from the album Boogie Beats 2..shag yer Blooz away)

Glad you liked them ...and it looked like you enjoyed the dances with (smoother than guinness) Brady......even more

Re: Jazz

Originally posted by Dance Demon
    Glad you liked them ...
    Thanks DD. Really liked them... mmm... I remember that on the radio ... just...Bryan Ferry's version is pretty cool as well.... Radio 1 used to be magic... that's when I started listening to music... Sundays at my Gran's and Aunt's .... my parents didn't have any music on ever... Dad's a Radio 4 man and my Mum sang in choirs .... so the only exposure I had was Radio 1 backed up with TOTP !!! ... Get On the Right Track baby show... Anne Nightingale for doing your homework mid 70's ... I even cried in the boys' changing rooms (smelly!!) listening to Noel Edmonds' last breakfast show and missed assembley !! I was lucky to have an older sister though... so she got Beatles singles with her pocket money (I got Sugar Sugar by the Archies) and introduced me to things like Pinky and Perky and Pink Floyd.....

It's great to get the chance to hear all this fabulous stuff now... and even better that I get to dance to it !!! Keep up the good work !!!

Wxxx

Commercial Operator
    Ahhh Wendy!!!...You're making me feel old now
    I remember when Radio 1 had good DJs......John Peel,..Annie Nightingale,...Dave Lee Travis,..Johnny Walker,...Noel Edmunds,..
    yes and even old Tony Blackburn used to play loads of Motown and soul.......and who could forget whispering Bob Harris, later of Old Grey Whistle Test fame......... Ahhh those were the days.........

Just spent most of the morning on the net looking up albums and listening to lots of wee bits of tracks... amazing...Muddy Waters did You Shook Me for instance ... never knew that !! Funny how you hear a song for the first time and just assume it's theirs....it's a great way to work out where you really click/connect/belong/..... I mean sometimes I think I'm a black blues girl but then I realise I'm probably really a white blues girl....and then maybe it's more R&B and not that crying cos-my-shoes-left-me-in-a-puddle kind of blues which just bores me after a few tracks and makes me want to jump out the window.... there's so much to discover... it's like being in a chocolate factory or something... must read that book someday...

Wxxx

Blog Entries
    DF and DD and Irene and Ruth,

big thanks from me too!!!

had a great night with lots of highspots

my first DT ever with Brady and Heather (thanks soooo much you guys, I loved it) had to concentrate hard not to just be standing watching what they were doing and watch for MY signals!!

and a bit wey hey to Denise leading Neil and Brian over the other side later - some wiggle those boys are getting!!

drawing blood out of the stone

watching Ms Elsie and Mr Rob do their wonderful thing with space to go for it (and grabbing him for a few myself - actually did a little spontaneous Lydia with him and thinking about it with hindsight, it was our second dance ever and he didn't know me from Myra Hindlay so maybe that wasn't what he intended!!! Is there another move that might have been intended from that position that I should have known???!!)

Great selection of tunes as usual and as Wendy says above, sometimes it's great to have an "intimate" little night where everybody gets room to perform and you get to dance with people a bit more often!!

C

PS shame about the no Smurfs door policy that must have been in operation seeing as none made it in!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Chicklet; 19th-May-2003 at 05:23 PM.

Commercial Operator
    Why thank you my little Chickie DD ......
    Glad all you guys had fun. I think I can speak for the rest of the team and say it's really a pleasure to see everyone have such a good time. it's interesting too, to see more and more people get into the music. We know it may not be to everyones taste, but those who have come along not knowing what to expect have been pleasantly surprised, and have said that it's a refreshing change to dance once a month to something a little different. those who attend regularly seem to think that it keeps on getting better...which is really nice feedback. It is also nice to see such a mix of jive styles....cerocers, swing dancers, Glasgow Jivers, West coast Swingers,..sometimes it's nice just to sit back and watch. I saw lots of smooth moves going on on Friday
    Thanx everyone for their support

Just like to echo DD's comments and say thanks to everyone who came along and thanks for all the positive feeback...

Can't tell you how rewarding it is for me seeing the floor fill up with folk when I spin another long forgotten 70s sensation... and the rest...

Thanks guys and gals...

Ghostly Goings On!!!

Thanks Chicklet, I always enjoy Double Trouble, but I must say it was a first for me too, dancing with a couple of spectres from the spirit word!!!
    We must try it again sometime!!

Heather,
    XX

Route 66

Must make a point of saying that I had a great time on Friday at the dance, loved the music and it gave STG Brady and I a chance to practice some West Coast Swing moves!!!
    Will definitely make the effort to get to the next one.(And hopefully bring Sheena , Linda and a few others too !!)

Heather,
    XX

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Chicklet

PS shame about the no Smurfs door policy that must have been in operation seeing as none made it in!!!!!!!
    It was the smurfs outing to the Isle of Skye that day . No dancing , but otherwise good

Thread Information