Thread: Only relaying feedback here.....

Commercial Operator

Only relaying feedback here.....

Yes there were one or two positives to be gleaned, but UI seem to have heard lots of negatives about the champs:

dreadful venue; charging for water sometimes and not others; searching bags etc for water bottles; space for dancing and viewing the comp and that the music was dull and unchallenging.

Remembering the, em, constructive criticism that was directed, very loosely, towards Franck after the 10th Anniversary party, I can only come up with 2 view points and wonder which one is accurate:

1) Ceroc, as an organisation fails, and is just a big money making scam that cares not about it's customers a la Evil Empire (Microsoft)

2) Cerocers, as a whole, are a bunch of nay-saying whingers that'll never be happy no matter what you put forward and present to them.

I know where my thoughts lay, but am too shy to say anything.

The water thing was bad. Ceroc are already paying the owners thousands for the venue, so why do the owners have to fleece us all for a few more quid?

The venue was still too crowded and the dancefloor too small, but at least they are looking for a bigger venue next year.

On the plus side, the atmosphere as usual was absolutely electric, and I thought Erick did an awesome job with the music. Added to that, the invasion of Australia's elite pushed the standards still higher - an awesome specticle!

I think both your options are very harsh CJ and I agree with neither of them I'm afraid.

The Forum Legend
    I agree Will (can't believe I ever said that), far too harsh there CJ.

How about option 3.

Ceroc try hard to provide a service for their customers, but sometimes it doesn't work out for the best, at which point, said customers are entitled to make reasonable complaints in a constructive way.

Steve

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Will
    I think both your options are very harsh CJ and I agree with neither of them I'm afraid.
    Well, our CJ is not renowned for his 'subtle' approach

I do agree with both you and the Tramp, while feedback might not always be pleasant to read, we (organizers) need to be made aware of what was wrong so it can be rectified the next time... I reckon I have learnt a lot more in the last year thanks to the very constructive feedback on the forum and all nights in Scotland are better as a result...

This does not mean that we have to concentrate on the negative, as indeed there was a lot of positive too... In truth, despite the inadequacies of the venue, I have thoroughly enjoyed the last 4 Champs, each time partying like mad, screaming encouragements and coming back inspired by the many amazing styles that are on display.

I do hope we find a better venue for next year, but expect it will be difficult... It is a lot easier to have a great venue when only 5/600 people attend, rather than 1200!

Franck.

The Forum Legend
    Sorry. I concentrated on the negative times. There should also be a 4th option for all the positive times.

Ceroc provide a great evenings (days) entertainment at a reasonable cost, and the odd couple of people (very odd) who want to moan about it, should probably just have stayed at home in the first place.

Lets face it, if we didn't enjoy it most of the time, then none of us would be there? Or are we all just masochists?

All of these options go for all of the companies offering modern jive evenings/events....

Steve

Originally posted by TheTramp
    Ceroc provide a great evenings (days) entertainment at a reasonable cost, and the odd couple of people (very odd) who want to moan about it, should probably just have stayed at home in the first place.
    Gee thanks: I love you too Steve. I think your third option was the best one so far. They probably do want it to be a great experience for everyone but sadly things don't always turn out the way you want them to. I've been told they struggle to break even on the day, and it must therefore be very difficult to hear criticism when I imagine they feel they're putting everything into it already. The bottom line is that the venue is just not up to it, and I have to disagree with Franck a little - with 600 it would be "fair", not "good"; with 1200 it's "poor". But it's easy for them to prove whether or not they care about the customers - they can find another venue. I can't believe that the Palais is the only possibility in the Greater London area.

Incidentally, the cost of the day can only be described as "reasonable" if you live within driving distance of the venue. Altogether I invested at least 10 times the entry price to be there.

The Forum Legend
    Ah, Graham. Nothing personal intended I (and I think CJ) was talking about Ceroc events in general. I think that the Hammersmith thing definitely comes under option 3, although I would hope that most nights/events come under option 4, because if not, why are we all still going to them?

And yes, totally agree with the cost thing. You definitely have to add in all the costs that make up the day. For someone like me who lives in London, it wasn't a badly priced weekends entertainment - certainly, if I was going for a day out in London, it would probably cost me more. But if you are coming from outside London, and have to pay to get here, plus hotel costs, that does make it quite an expensive weekend.

Steve

Originally posted by Graham

Incidentally, the cost of the day can only be described as "reasonable" if you live within driving distance of the venue. Altogether I invested at least 10 times the entry price to be there.
    Ditto...but this makes it pointless to complain about the price of entry, food and water when that is such a small part of your overall spend.

Grant

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar
    Re the cost of the event - at £25 entry for the whole day I don't think this rates too badly - compare it to what you have to pay for a concert (which lasts maybe 3 hours at the most). Can you imagine what it would cost to watch all of those dancers in a show?
    I went to Hammersmith in 2001 and I'm sure the price was the same then (someone can correct me if I'm wrong there). It certainly didn't seem as crowded this year.

I didn't eat in the Palais but this was just because we felt we needed a breath of fresh air and headed outside - so I can't moan about the food on offer as I never got that far. And the girl on the door let me keep my chocolate raisins (as long as I was discreet about eating them ).

Where we were sitting we had a small dance floor to the side of us which was perfect for the freestyle sessions, and indeed I only ventured down to the main floor a couple of times.

I didn't manage to find everyone I was looking for but then that happened in Blackpool too - it's usually because they are up dancing or I am

I had a great weekend and the only thing I would possibly change (unless they could have another venue) is to go on the Friday next time so that I can have an extra night's dancing.

To organise such a huge event must be a nightmare - I wouldn't like to do it - and as ceroc hire the venue (and I believe are charged an absolute fortune for the privilage) they can only report back to the operators our complaints re toilets etc

I paid almost the same for my two night's b&B as I did in Blackpool. Plus if you chose to fly, as opose to taking the train or driving down, then you can't complain about the cost involved. The same will be true of the Scottish Competition - much cheaper for all of us to get to

So I'm with Steve, Will and Grant - option 3 - they're trying hard (ceroc that is - not the boys )
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Thread Information