Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Glasgow Uni - Wednesday Night

Re: Glasgow Uni - Wednesday Night

Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    Where's a good place to park in Rutherglen?
    There's *lots* of parking space behind the town hall.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart M View Post
    I always thought it was Mairi? Or maybe it was CJ told me that one...

Very easy mistake to make, Mairi's name - and anyway it'd be a good spell-checker that would correct any Gaelic spelling...
    I'm fairly sure it's "Mairi", but it's one of those names that could be spelt a millions different ways...
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    There's *lots* of parking space behind the town hall.
    Thanks

Last time I was there is looked quite ( just dropping Freya off at it ) and the time before it was very quite, managed to dance with all the women with in an hour ( but also ended up in hospital that night due to an elbow in the face and needed glued back together).

However I do think it is a lovely venue and it holds a place in my heart as it's where i started my ceroc experience. To me it's plus points are or were ( as i said it's been a while )

- Location - Handy to get to, plenty of parking
    - The floor - usually very good
    - The DJing - CJ I love your taste in music
    - The Teaching - Mharie ( I have a bit of the Gaelic so I'll go with that spelling ) is a brilliant teacher and taught me so much of the basics and ground work I use today, plus she is rather attractive

I will be sad to see the place go but I can understand why, it's a business after all.

But I do think it will be a busy night on the last night as a lot of the old guard will be there to say goodbye to it.

hugs

McJ

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Doolan View Post

On the way out I heared a weird report that the closure was prompted by the GUU management not wanting the floors damaged by Cerocers; strange, given the often filthy state of the dance rooms ??

See you tonight.
    the floors would be damaged more by the stilettos most students wear on a night out than the flat or cuban heels most cerocers wear - so if thats there reasoning theyll be kicking themselves in a few weeks!

C x

The floors get more damage with all the drinks that are spilled onto the floors.

Quote Originally Posted by McJester View Post
    Last time I was there is looked quite ( just dropping Freya off at it ) and the time before it was very quite, managed to dance with all the women with in an hour ( but also ended up in hospital that night due to an elbow in the face and needed glued back together).

However I do think it is a lovely venue and it holds a place in my heart as it's where i started my ceroc experience. To me it's plus points are or were ( as i said it's been a while )

- Location - Handy to get to, plenty of parking
    - The floor - usually very good
    - The DJing - CJ I love your taste in music
    - The Teaching - Mharie ( I have a bit of the Gaelic so I'll go with that spelling ) is a brilliant teacher and taught me so much of the basics and ground work I use today, plus she is rather attractive

I will be sad to see the place go but I can understand why, it's a business after all.

But I do think it will be a busy night on the last night as a lot of the old guard will be there to say goodbye to it.

hugs

McJ
    I agree Mharie is a very good teacher (I prefer her to Franck - sorry)and CJ's music is mostly to my taste. The taxi dancers are all nice too!

It's having to close because it's losing money. Why? Because a lot of the more experienced dancers 'deserted' to JJs (you know who you are). There are also a lot of new beginners each week and I think that that may be a reason a lot of experienced dancers dont go back. Shame cos we were all beginners once. Hopefully there will be a west end venue up and running soon as we could lose some dancers who can't attend the alternatives.

Commercial Operator

FYI: I've just heard there will be an extension for this last evening.

Assuming that my music isn't too same ol' same ol' for Brian, I look forward to DJing through for you through to 11.30.

It'll be emotional.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceroc Jock View Post
    FYI: I've just heard there will be an extension for this last evening.

Assuming that my music isn't too same ol' same ol' for Brian, I look forward to DJing through for you through to 11.30.

It'll be emotional.

I couldn't give a toss what music you play or don't play and FYI I never mentioned your name but "if the cap fits...."
    I'll simply sit out Rock Me, Tango in Harlem and All That Jazz and as for Roxanne Tango.....
    ps: I was repeating what many people were saying about same ol' same ol' music!

Little Miss Jazz Shoes Jazz_Shoes (Ash)'s Avatar

I learned in the GUU so will be sad to see it go, lots of memories there for me. I also found it friendlier than JJ's imho.I know I could have gone more recently than I have been going, but I have been a bit busy with college stuff. Really sad, I guess I shall have to find another reason to visit!

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Doolan View Post
    I couldn't give a toss what music you play or don't play and FYI I never mentioned your name but "if the cap fits...."
    I'll simply sit out Rock Me, Tango in Harlem and All That Jazz and as for Roxanne Tango.....
    ps: I was repeating what many people were saying about same ol' same ol' music!
    If the cap fits?? You'd need to ask Jackie. I'm guessing there aren't too many regular DJs at GUU on a Wed night, but if you meant anyone other than me, I look forward to hearing it.

It's a shame you don't give a toss. Giving a good toss is an underrated skill. In fact, there are many places that giving a toss will help a man survive: in the military or at her Majesty's pleasure woud be two.

As you are a regular, you'll know that Tango de Roxanne, Rock Me and even Paradise By The Dashboard Light all get played, at the VERY earliest, 10.27. If you don't like the track, it's the same as any other 3 minute track you don't like. If you do like the track, you get some bonus minutes over the 10.30 official finish time.

The other two, I play when requested.

I hope you are there tonight, Brian and I hope you have a good night. I will play primarily tunes that have been played over the 8 years or so in the Uni and will be raiding the back of the box for some forgotten classics, if I find them. Any requests, as always, are welcome. Tonight, I imagine, I'll play some tunes you will like, some you will not: my aim is to please everyone, and for once that includes me.

I have worked hard at all my venues. I have listened, cared and innovated. I see the people who attend my venues as my people and I try to cherish them and show them love in the only way I can: by providing the best night, through music, that I can. If I have failed in this, it is not through a lack of care, or a lack of trying.

I am passionate about music, I am passionate about dance and I am passionate about my dancers. I will miss the Wed night. I will miss it's feel, it's vibe and it's people.

This is my last word on this thread. My last word will be 11.28 (approx) tonight. I hope you like what I have had to say: if not, I can only hope you have listened.

As ever, I am but your humble servant.

CJ has left the building.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceroc Jock View Post
    ~snip~
    As you are a regular, you'll know that Tango de Roxanne, Rock Me and even Paradise By The Dashboard Light all get played
    ~snip~
    I am not, and never have been, a Weds GUU regular, but one of the highlights of the venue for me has been the music - thanks CJ - and especially for complying with the odd request I've thrown at you for the tracks you mentioned - love 'em (especially Rock Me).

Thanks CJ.

Wasn't originally planning on going along tonight but I think I will.

- And I'll be cheeky enough to request Rock Me & Tango de Roxanne again!

C u there.

PM

Mrs Pretzelmeister

What's wrong with All That Jazz? I've had some of the best dances ever to that track. to CJ for playing it at my request quite so often, along with all the other 'usual suspects' - Brown Eyed Girl, I Saw Her Standing There, Toxic, LAEx, and the oyster song to name but a few.

GUU went downhill as the better dancers gradually switched to JJs & to a certain extent Rutherglen. JJs is a horrible venue despite the better bar facilities. No separate room for beginners refresher classes which are really important, and lousy decor. Any increase in numbers at JJs will result in a drop in quality of experience for beginners and may put them off. Plus the dance floor is always heaving - not exactly encouraging for a new lead to try their hand at freestyle (said from personal experience). I think for any venue to be a success it needs dancers with a mixture of experience levels, so it's not too cliquey and exclusive for newcomers to enjoy but also not too full of beginners who need more experienced dancers around to inspire/improve their abilities. GUU used to have that and I hope it can reopen or an alternative West End venue be found with the aim of creating that balance again.

I feel really sad to be missing the end of GUU as a venue. It's where I came back to Ceroc three years ago nearly to the week, it's where I started to learn to lead. I love Mairi's teaching style and CJ's music (well ok, mostly!) and as a matter of personal preference choose it over Thursdays because I happen not to enjoy so much of Thursdays music or feel that requests are as welcome there. I haven't danced to Tango de Roxanne but watching PM & Mairi dance to it is a delight.

CJ I'm already missing your music (fancy a holiday to Sydney? They could do with your help!) and your kilts, delightful dances and wicked grin.

To everyone going tonight - have a fab time and an extra-special dance for me (to All That Jazz, if at all possible CJ )

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by LemonCake View Post
    and as a matter of personal preference choose it over Thursdays because I happen not to enjoy so much of Thursdays music or feel that requests are as welcome there.
    Don't recall you ever asking for anything in particular that I would have refused to play LC. There are at least two people who bring me music most weeks, and I always oblige them by playing their requests. Everyone has their own style when it comes to DJing, and as CJ - and several others on other threads have said,- it's all about pleasing everyone some of the time. I have been dancing for around seven years now, and CJ was the DJ at St Stephens when I first started, and I should think he is the longest serving Scottish Ceroc DJ . Iwould imagine if he gets to the back of the CD box tonight, that you will hear things like " the passenger" by Iggy Pop, "Ready To go" by Republica, and will you by Hazel O'connor. You probably won't hear them played anywhere else, but they are very typically CJ's style. Hope it is a great night, and that everyone enjoys themselves.

Mrs Pretzelmeister

Quote Originally Posted by Dance Demon View Post
    Don't recall you ever asking for anything in particular that I would have refused to play LC. There are at least two people who bring me music most weeks, and I always oblige them by playing their requests. Everyone has their own style when it comes to DJing, and as CJ - and several others on other threads have said,- it's all about pleasing everyone some of the time. I have been dancing for around seven years now, and CJ was the DJ at St Stephens when I first started, and I should think he is the longest serving Scottish Ceroc DJ . Iwould imagine if he gets to the back of the CD box tonight, that you will hear things like " the passenger" by Iggy Pop, "Ready To go" by Republica, and will you by Hazel O'connor. You probably won't hear them played anywhere else, but they are very typically CJ's style. Hope it is a great night, and that everyone enjoys themselves.
    I probably haven't asked - perhaps partly because the general style is very different to what I'd ask for, and less inviting to requests. The reticence is my fault and I'll correct it when I'm home. I do appreciate the differences in style - I think you in fact DJd the set I had the most fantastic sequence of dances to ever (BFG in May, Sunday night after 11pm?), for which .

Thank you for identifying 'Ready To Go' - have loved dancing to it but kept forgetting to ask what it was, and now I know!

LC

What's wrong with All That Jazz? I've had some of the best dances ever to that track.

Superb record, you can really play with it, should be more like it!

The Forum Legend

What's wrong with All That Jazz?
    Nothing. The first 2956293756135 times. It used to be my favourite track at one point.

Definitely went through the overplayed thing though (and that's not a comment on CJ, but I heard it (and played it) in lots of places).

It's been a while since I last heard it though. Might be time to give it a go again....

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp View Post
    Nothing. The first 2956293756135 times.
    You counted?

Quote Originally Posted by LemonCake
    JJs is a horrible venue despite the better bar facilities
    Can't say I agree with that. Yes the comment about having a seperate room for beginners is fair. I can't imagine it being very fun for the taxis having to yell over the intermediate class to refresh the beginners, but its the atmosphere that does it for me in Jaks - an atmosphere that tends to be present in a night club that you wouldn't get in what's essentially just a hall. But I learned Ceroc in that environment and I don't think I've suffered for it.

I think the main problem facing the beginners in Jaks going forward relates mainly to the sheer numbers. Yesterday there were approximately 30 women in the revision class and 20 men - those kinds of numbers just aren't managable by three taxis (only two were 'on duty' taxis, another appeared from the intermediate class to help out). Yes the venue wasn't helping the situation, but they were having to yell over each other let alone the teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ
    As you are a regular, you'll know that Tango de Roxanne, Rock Me and even Paradise By The Dashboard Light all get played
    Hope so! I love these tracks! They aloow for far more interesting dancing that a night full of pop numbers (Tango de Roxanne is a personal fave as is Black Velvet which I love CJ for playing! )

Commercial Operator

What's wrong with All That Jazz? I've had some of the best dances ever to that track.
    Good for you LemonCake - I have suffered the agony of being left on the dance floor by a guy who refused to dance to it (at the GUU!)
    I've always thought of this track as a 'fun' track, at worst - it's only 3 mins of your time...

Quote Originally Posted by SnowWhite View Post
    I have suffered the agony of being left on the dance floor by a guy who refused to dance to it (at the GUU!)
    I've always thought of this track as a 'fun' track, at worst - it's only 3 mins of your time...

Oops, was that me last week?
    I really hope not but if it was please believe me as I say I'm genuinely sorry, I did appologise last week and explained that I hate, with a passion, All That Jazz.

Thread Information