Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glasgow Uni - Wednesday Night

Glasgow Uni - Wednesday Night

Is there any truth in the rumour that the Wed Uni night is being binned due to lack of support?

My wife, me and two friends started attending this class about two years ago and it was jumping, we had trouble finding a space to dance during free style, the atmosphere was great and the music enjoyable. It's gone downhill all the way since, with people moaning amongst themselves and complaining to the management about the floor surface, same ol' same ol' music, patronising teaching and an atmosphere as flat as a witch's tit. If the event is being binned due to lack of support, it's a simple way out, rather than try to find out what's gone wrong.
    Why not issue a questionaire to ALL Glasgow dancers to find out what we would like to see changed at the Uni event that would encourage them to return- it's not rocket science, it's called market research.
    There's not enough room in Jumpin' Jaks to accommodate what's left of the Uni class, with 20 odd on/off and a floor just big enough for a sardine to wriggle about on, so, as paid up Ceroc members, where do we go if we want to continue to enjoy Ceroc?

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

Re: Glasgow Uni - Wednesday Night

Rutherglen on a thursday night?

I used to dance at GUU on Wednesday nights before i left glasgow and i really enjoyed it. I dont know what its like now but i am sure that franck is doing what ever he needs to to sort it out. In the meantime persevere,make the most of the space, enjoy the dance and dont listen to the people moaning.

Thanks for your reply D, I've danced with you at R'glen on Thursday and I attend most Thursdays.
    My concern was if there was any truth in the rumour that the Wednesday night Uni class was being binned

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Doolan View Post
    Thanks for your reply D, I've danced with you at R'glen on Thursday and I attend most Thursdays.
    My concern was if there was any truth in the rumour that the Wednesday night Uni class was being binned
    Hi Brian,

Classes at the Glasgow University Union will indeed be closed after the 11th October (Parties will be un-affected). I have decided to suspend the night while I got the chance to consider all the options.

I hope you'll be able to attend either Jumpin' Jaks or Rutherglen.
    Franck.

There's an A.P.P. for that!

Well we got told at Jaks last night that it was being closed for the foreseeable future. I haven't spoken to Franck about it, but I know on the past few times I've been it has been really quiet, so maybe the venue wasn't supporting itself in terms of attendance.

It would be a shame if it was scrapped compeltely without something else replacing it - this does however give an opportunity to start from scartch with something new and fresh which should hopefully be able to make everyone happy (if such a thing is ever possible?)

I'll be sad to see it closed, even though I don't go there as much as I used too...

I think it's a great venue – the floor is usually good, I like the old building it's in (memories of student days!) and appreciate the amount of space there is compared to JJ's (though that's a symptom of its problems.)

I sort-of agree with what Brian says about the music, though I think CJ felt constrained by the typical attendees – its regulars, plus a large bunch of beginners. (I'm sure CJ will have something to say for himself on the matter.)

I like though that CJ is prepared to step outside convention occasionally and play music that no-one else would be prepared to (until he's proven it works.) Many of my favourite dance tracks are CJ tracks. I can't believe that I wasn't sure about "Rock Me" by Great White the first time he played it in the GUU. I wonder how often I'll get to dance to it now...

As for the teaching... I'm not sure... I wouldn't call it "patronising" myself, but I seem to prefer Franck's teaching style. I find it difficult to compare teachers. Just so long as they are at least competent, I don't usually have a problem...

Back on Saturday, before I knew about the decision to close it I wrote this...
    Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    The GUU in Glasgow is a fine venue, with a rather good (if a little idiosyncratic ) DJ, and many fine dancers. But it's also not as busy as it could be and it's probably fair to say that the better dancers around Glasgow tend to go to JJ's rather than the GUU.

It's also a very flexible venue, have two or three rooms extra rooms that could be used for our purposes...

If there was a room with "challenging" music during the intermediate class I'd probably go to it more regularly. I imagine a lot of other people would feel the same. Perhaps the bunch of people who sit in the bar waiting for the intermediate class to finish would turn up earlier... Maybe even a few of the "advanced" dancers who rarely come out during the week would come along...

So you get more people through the door, more people paying the full price, and you'd have some advanced dancers around to inspire and maybe even dance with people still learning.

OK, so you may lose a few of the better dancers during the intermediate class to the other room, but with the GUU, many have already been lost to Tuesday night at JJ's, so maybe it'd be worth it...
    I think something radical is needed to fix the GUU night, so closing it down and starting again is probably the right decision - especially if it was losing money in the meantime...

Besides the idea I sketched out in the post above, I think maybe a Ceroc & WCS night aimed at dancers with more experience might be a good idea.

While it'll draw some people away from JJ's, I don't think it'll be too great a problem as I think people will still want to go there for its atmosphere.

Or perhaps just a change of venue will make a big enough difference... 2 nights at JJ's, maybe?

Anyway, I think the biggest immediate problem is going to be what to do with all the beginners... JJ's beginner class was full to capacity last night, so where are all of the GUU beginners going to go?
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

There's not enough room in Jumpin' Jaks to accommodate what's left of the Uni class, with 20 odd on/off and a floor just big enough for a sardine to wriggle about on, so, as paid up Ceroc members, where do we go if we want to continue to enjoy Ceroc?
    Just a wee point about JJ's – last night at both the beginners' class and the intermediate class there was never more than 6 women on... This is definitely different from what it's normally like though...

As for space... I think that some of the space where the taxi class is held in front of the other bar could be used for dancing and relieve some of the pressure from the main floor.

But I hope that the GUU night is replaced soon.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

An Eclectic Toaster

Anyway, I think the biggest immediate problem is going to be what to do with all the beginners... JJ's beginner class was full to capacity last night, so where are all of the GUU beginners going to go?

Tell me about it!

Coupled with the volume of Wednesday refugees, it made for a difficult learning environment. I certainly didn't get round all the beginners, and the refresher class was hectic (I got the easier end of the stick this time though, to Claire for taking the "under 6 lessons" group)

I haven't been on a Wednesday for a while, but I was aware it was losing numbers - not sure why though. It wasn't the first Ceroc class I attended, but it was my first regular one and it's the venue where I learned to dance with any degree of competency. And dodge flying objects without falling off a small stage. Many memories.

I admit I am a bit concerned as to where all these 'refugees' (love the term Stuart ) would realistically fit in.

At the moment Jaks is pretty much near capacity. Ducasi's idea of incorporating the Taxi teaching area at the side may work for the beginners class to some extent (though the guys who are fixed up there may have difficulty seeing what is going on on the stage), but you couldn't really apply it for the intermediate class.

I mean in less than 6 weeks a lot of the beginners are going to start moving up to intermediates - so how do we fit them on to an increasingly busy intermediate floor and still give space for the beginners? (ah the trials of a popular venue)

So when you add the potenital problem of all the GU contingent joining Jaks (assuming that they are willing/able to dance on a Tuesday) there is going to be space issues.

Blog Entries

I think it's a great venue – the floor is usually good...

I like though that CJ is prepared to step outside convention occasionally and play music that no-one else would be prepared to (until he's proven it works.) ...

As for the teaching... I'm not sure... I wouldn't call it "patronising" myself, but I seem to prefer Franck's teaching style.
    From the couple of times I went there in June/July, I'd agree with everything you say. I liked CJ's music, and the floor was nice. Personally, I wasn't all that fussed on the teacher - she wasn't exactly patronising, but she did seem to be quite negative at times in her comments to the class during the lesson. I also noticed that she didn't work the room, which, whilst it's not necessary for the teacher to do so, it does make for a more inclusive atmosphere. IMO.

'Tis a shame, though, that there's not another central/west end class replacing it yet. There wasn't enough Glasgow dancing!

The Forum Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart M View Post

Tell me about it!
    But the GUU is open tomorrow. Maybe they haven't started coming across yet. Those were just a whole new load of JJ beginners!! It gets worse next week!

Commercial Operator

Maybe some of he "refugees" will turn up at Rutherglen tonight....Maybe some of the more experienced dancers might try it too. Fantastic venue, lovely floor, a body movement class for the intermediates, and the music's not bad

An Eclectic Toaster

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp View Post
    But the GUU is open tomorrow. Maybe they haven't started coming across yet. Those were just a whole new load of JJ beginners!! It gets worse next week!
    Well, there were a surprising number of people on Tuesday who either said they usually went to the GUU, or whom I recognised as GUU regulars from the past who don't usually come to JJ's.
    I suppose it was a side-effect of the Fresher's week closure.

Quote Originally Posted by Dance Demon View Post
    Maybe some of the "refugees" will turn up at Rutherglen tonight....Maybe some of the more experienced dancers might try it too. Fantastic venue, lovely floor, a body movement class for the intermediates, and the music's not bad
    Your music's one of the main reasons I go to R'glen on a Thursday John, I've never heard a bad word spoken of it yet, by the way, I'm bringing in Madeleine Peyroux's new CD, Half The Perfect World tonight so if you were thinking of buying it, don't.
    One of the other reasons I go to R'glen is Mahrie, I didn't say she was patronising, I simply quoted what, amongst many things, was being said about the GUU; on a personal note, I think of Mahrie as a lovely lassie, with a great personality and as good as any teacher I've met!

I was at the Uni last night, upstairs on the new floor, it was busier than normal and I had a good night, an added bonus was that the routine Mahrie tought was excellent.
    On the way out I heared a weird report that the closure was prompted by the GUU management not wanting the floors damaged by Cerocers; strange, given the often filthy state of the dance rooms ??

See you tonight.

I have just found out I am working in Glasgow for the first time in ages and I am only gonna be there on the Wednesday night. What a bummer. I have been looking forward to dancing with all the fabulous Glasgow ladies I remember from last time I was there. Is there nothing else on a Wednesday night?

Quote Originally Posted by Jivingdan View Post
    I have just found out I am working in Glasgow for the first time in ages and I am only gonna be there on the Wednesday night. What a bummer. I have been looking forward to dancing with all the fabulous Glasgow ladies I remember from last time I was there. Is there nothing else on a Wednesday night?
    The last Wednesday class is 11th October so, if you're still in Glasgow, enjoy the last Uni Wednesday night for the foreseeable future; the party nights are unaffected, the next one is on the 14th October.

Quote Originally Posted by Dance Demon View Post
    Maybe some of he "refugees" will turn up at Rutherglen tonight....Maybe some of the more experienced dancers might try it too. Fantastic venue, lovely floor, a body movement class for the intermediates, and the music's not bad
    I'd like to put in a word for Thursday nights at Rutherglen too, for all the reasons mentioned. I've been to both the other nights in Glasgow and enjoyed them both, but for me Rutherglen holds a special place as my regular venue and the place I first discovered ceroc. I hope it does attract some of the "refugees", both beginner and experienced from the GUU. However it would be good to have the option of another night in Glasgow, so here's hoping Franck can get another fab night up and running sometime soon!

........an added bonus was that the routine Mahrie tought was excellent.

Oops!
    My reliance on spell checkers has reduced my ability to spell to juvenile levels

Mharie taught

An Eclectic Toaster

Oops!
    My reliance on spell checkers has reduced my ability to spell to juvenile levels

Mharie taught
    I always thought it was Mairi? Or maybe it was CJ told me that one...

Very easy mistake to make, Mairi's name - and anyway it'd be a good spell-checker that would correct any Gaelic spelling...

Where's a good place to park in Rutherglen?

Thread Information