Thread: Is a bit of advance notification too much to ask for a cancelled night ?

Registered User johnthehappyguy's Avatar

Is a bit of advance notification too much to ask for a cancelled night ?

I went to my local venue tonight to be told at the door, thgat the dancing was cancelled.

Upon my return home, I saw that Dancedemon, had helpfully put a notice to this effect in social events this afternoon, unfortunatley it was a bit late for me top see.

nonetheless thanks for the effort John.

It was a bit disappointing, as unfortunately it is not the first time it has happened.

Apparently it was announced last week, however not all of us can attend every week,

The upcoming events section still lists the class as being on tonight.

Several other dancers were in the same predicament as myself, and were disappointed.

When filling in my memebercship form, I had to give my e-mail address.

Why can't an email be sent out when it is known in advance that a class is going to be cancelled ?

It would save a lot of wasted journeys.

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Re: Is a bit of advance notification too much to ask for a cancelled night ?

An email can always be sent.

The trouble with announcing closures more than a week in advance is that (I couldn't believe this to be the case, but I have now seen it) people hear "venue not open blah blah blah" and then forget the date. Come the next week, they can't remember when the venue was to be closed so take that week and the following three off - just in case. Numbers drop, and the people who do turn up have a crap time. Keeping it to one week's notice ("Venue closed next week!") avoids this confusion amongst regular attenders, at the expense of annoying the very few people who weren't there the previous week and didn't bother to check any time within that fortnight for possible closures.

Moral: always check the website. If it's not on the website, then moan at the organiser.

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo View Post
    An email can always be sent.

The trouble with announcing closures more than a week in advance is that *snip*
    why would email notice of venue closure need to be more than a week in advance?

merely email the day after the class - it's not exactly rocket science or difficult

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yliander View Post
    why would email notice of venue closure need to be more than a week in advance?

merely email the day after the class - it's not exactly rocket science or difficult
    Oh I quite agree. That's exactly how and when it should be done.

But the obvious question is why not also announce it, say, three weeks and two weeks in advance at the class, as well as the week before - assuming the closure is known. And the non-obvious answer is as I have suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by johnthehappyguy View Post
    Why can't an email be sent out when it is known in advance that a class is going to be cancelled ?
    Same goes for changes of venue, which seems to happen quite a lot at Perth (due presumably to the Salutation Hotel getting better money from other clients).

Emailing anyone who had been in (perhaps) the last 4 weeks, with changes at a particular venue shouldn't be all that difficult, given that our attendance record is held on the database.

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by johnthehappyguy View Post
    I went to my local venue tonight to be told at the door, thgat the dancing was cancelled.Why can't an email be sent out when it is known in advance that a class is going to be cancelled ?
    Hi John,

I'm sorry you had a wasted journey, unfortunately, the Golden Lion hotel only gave us a week's notice (they phoned me on the The Tuesday morning). We immediately updated the announcement leaflet and the front page of the website (though I'm sorry I forgot about the Calendar feature of the Forum).
    I would normally try to send an email to all regular attendees to warn you, but I'm currently dealing with a backlog with the database and most of the data is not up to date.

I'm always frustrated when venues mess us about, and I'm taking steps to prevent further disruptions in Stirling!
    Franck.

There's an A.P.P. for that!

Thread Information