Thread: Men dancing

Groovemeister

Men dancing

As I am new on here and I have had a number of questions about Ceroc I feel I need to post them. They may have been asked before but I will ask away anyway.

How many men that do ceroc feel confident about going out and dancing individualy.

Most of the men that I have spoken to at Ceroc only either dance when their pissed, Ceroc, or stand and watch, just wondered if this is true for most men.

Is it the love of dance, meeting people, dancing with the opposite sex, learning a new skill that drives men to dance.

Women love to dance i don't have to ask but most men have to be dragged to a dance class so what really makes a man want to dance?
    Last edited by Groovemeister; 3rd-October-2006 at 03:04 PM.

Meglio del Cioccolato Demo

Re: Men dancing

I kept going back because, once I overcome all the preconceptions and feelings of never being able to get it, I realised it is actually great fun.

Groovemeister

Sorry rambled a bit there not really Ceroc related more a broad brush of what drives a man to dance in general

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Groovemeister View Post
    Women love to dance i don't have to ask but most men have to be dragged to a dance class so what really makes a man want to dance?
    IMHO It's not what makes a man want to dance. Most people want to dance - both men and women. Unfortunately, most men don't think they can, and are afraid of looking silly.

The trick is to stop people from being scared of it, and make them realise they can dance. Ceroc just provides a nice path for such people to do something they already want to do (a path that doesn't require copious amounts of booze)

what drives a man to dance in general
    Inner peace, joy, women

(Not necessarily in that order I don't drink though)

Be Well,
    Christopher

The Forum Legend

Sorry rambled a bit there not really Ceroc related more a broad brush of what drives a man to dance in general
    Nothing. Unless it's Modern Jive. Or one of the other partner dances I've tried....

Commercial Operator

Aye - it's that classic story... he had a glittering career stretching out ahead of him, then a woman came along and drove him to dance. At first he thought he could control it, but it turned into obsession, and obsession turned to addiction... Now he's a wreck of his former self... practically homeless, strung out constantly, begging first moves and wurlitzers from passers-by in the street...

Is there no-one to help these poor wretches?
    Last edited by straycat; 3rd-October-2006 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Because it didn't feel complete.

Groovemeister

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    Aye - it's that classic story... he had a glittering career stretching out ahead of him, then a woman came along and drove him to dance. Now he's a wreck of his former self... practically homeless, strung out constantly, begging first moves and wurlitzers from passers-by in the street...

Is there no-one to help these poor wretches?

You are my twin Brother!

we look the same , but i dont ramble , ok i correct that before my friends do.

I liked to dance at parties and clubs, not well i hasten to add. Asked the question, do you want to learn Modern Jive, my retort was " Men dont dance"

From the first nite i was hooked. Now what drives me is a love of dance and enjoyable company and conversation with friends of both sexes.

Every dance is that search for the connection between you the music and your partner of the moment . Some dances are better for many reasons, but like a drug it drives you to search enjoyment in pleasant company.

I may be evocative, but many men i talk to share a common passion as their dance progresses from day 1

1 view but i hope this helps.

Dynamo.

How many men that do ceroc feel confident about going out and dancing individualy.
    Here.
    There's not much individual dancing at MJ weekends, male or female, despite often having a few classes that teach non-partner dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    Here.
    There's not much individual dancing at MJ weekends, male or female, despite often having a few classes that teach non-partner dancing.

but some of us are better at it than others (MH)

Well impressed with your style to the guinness song

Dynamo

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If you mean "in a nightclub" sense, then probably less than I was 20 years ago, mainly because I'm now old and self-conscious.

Is it the love of dance, meeting people, dancing with the opposite sex, learning a new skill that drives men to dance.

In my case, I can pinpoint the exact moment when I knew I wanted to dance. Bopping along to Billy Ocean's "Caribbean Queen", sometime when it came out (1984?).

Took me a few years after that to find Ceroc, however...

I was always one of those irritating first-on-the dance-floor-type people so I never needed booze to get me dancing. I've always loved dancing in spite of (in my teens)worrying that most people thought I was pr*t. it didn't stop me though!!
    I always envied those black people who could REALLY dance, you know, moves and stuff,and look cool. I would always try and put a twirl in here and there in time with some flourish in the music but it always felt a bit stupid because I didn't really know what I was doing. I was so pleased when I discovered Ceroc (in my forties) because it gave me a vocabulary to express the music.
    How I wish Ceroc had been around when I was in my twenties - as an aside I went to my first ever weekender (after 5 years of dancing) at Camber( )and as I watched my daughter (22)I thought how wonderful it must be to be there in one's twenties with no responsibilities in life yadda yadda yadda......how I envy you all(I'm well into Old Git-dom).

So I think the short answer is that most men are afraid of looking foolish, but I think that's really a cultural thing. Most latin-american or afro-carribean men have no such hang-ups - indeed in many cultures it is the men who dance(together , often) more than the women .
    Which is why I think Ceroc is so fantastic because it makes it ok to be a beginner.
    essay over

Quote Originally Posted by latinlover View Post
    I was always one of those irritating first-on-the dance-floor-type people so I never needed booze to get me dancing. I've always loved dancing in spite of (in my teens)worrying that most people thought ... I would always try and put a twirl in here and there in time with some flourish in the music but it always felt a bit stupid because I didn't really know what I was doing. I was so pleased when I discovered Ceroc (in my forties) because it gave me a vocabulary to express the music.
    How I wish Ceroc had been around when I was in my twenties - as an aside I went to my first ever weekender.....how I envy you all(I'm well into Old Git-dom).

So I think the short answer is that most men are afraid of looking foolish, but I think that's really a cultural thing. Most latin-american or afro-carribean men have no such hang-ups - indeed in many cultures it is the men who dance(together , often) more than the women .
    Which is why I think Ceroc is so fantastic because it makes it ok to be a beginner.
    essay over

My story is similar, enjoying rock, jazz and techno dance music along the way. Just I was sure I was no good.
    I discovered Modern Jive 6+years ago and 9 months later went to my first weekender.
    My confidence has grown as my dance vocabulary has increased, so now I am beguining to solo dance with a partener for part of a song.

I can proudly say I have danced at a nite club, doing double trouble and brought the two floors to a standstill watching us. Some fantasic dancers came over to congaratulate, people i admired for their style

A situation I could never have dreamt of in my younger years. So much respect to the Modern Jive sceen for giving me the tools to start expressing myself.

Thread Information