Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Split forums?

The Forum Legend

Re: Split forums?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    In fact, apart from Trampy, I'm not sure if there are any experienced professionals contributing regularly to the forum at the moment.
    Oh lord. The pressure!

Meglio del Cioccolato Demo

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    That's true as well, but you could say that about anything in life then. 'Oh, I'll not talk to this new person about X, Y or Z because I talked about the same thing with my mate 2 years ago'. I really don't feel it has to be 'new' topic to be worthy of discussion with different people.
    The difference between the forum and real life is that the new people can go and read what was discussed two years ago, make their contribution and bring back the old thread, and maybe the "veterans" would be more willing to add things instead of going over everything again.

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    Nope.

That's one of the great things about this forum – fun stuff with serious discussion all in the same place.

i fully agree!....long may the mix of fun and serious continue!

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ceroc Jock View Post
    I think it's more than just a trifle rich that such a thread should be started by DJ.
    Whilst I am at least as guilty as anyone of thread diversion, I've mad it a point since my Return As NewDJ to avoid completely posting in - or even reading of - those areas I consider to be completely frivolous (x-letter games, TPBM, etc. etc.). Hopefully, this has improved the average quality of my posts - certainly it's reduced the average quantity of them.

But, there are whole large chunks of the forum I've cut myself off from. Which may be seen as a good thing of course

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp View Post
    Oh lord. The pressure!
    Perhaps I should have said "posting" rather than "contributing"

The Forum Legend

Perhaps I should have said "posting" rather than "contributing"
    Seems reasonable!!

Quote Originally Posted by azande View Post
    The difference between the forum and real life is that the new people can go and read what was discussed two years ago, make their contribution and bring back the old thread, and maybe the "veterans" would be more willing to add things instead of going over everything again.
    And sometimes they do. But if they are new they may not stop and think that they have to go and search for, and read everything previously discussion before they are able to make a contribution. Though sometimes it feels like that when a thread is started by someone new to the forum and someone says 'this has been discussed before'. Sometimes its in a 'and you might find these threads helpful' - great! - pointing them towards helpful stuff. But sometimes its also a bit 'yawn, we really don't want to talk about that again'. Not so helpful.

Anyway, haven't we had this discussion sometime before? I certainly hope you checked before posting on this new thread.

Meglio del Cioccolato Demo

No, because we are talking about starting threads, not contributing about active ones; next time, if I already posted something in the past, I'll just link to my post...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by azande View Post
    ...maybe the "veterans" would be more willing to add things instead of going over everything again....
    That's true, but it's not just a case of "going over things again", though. Some of those earlier threads were the first time that even people like DavidB had explored certain theories, so of course the discussions were richer.

The world's moved on, thanks in part to this forum. It's brought together a lot of people who possibly hadn't even met prior to chatting on this forum. That, and the increase in popularity of weekenders, now means that there's much more overlap of dancers in MJ. It seems odd to think, but there was a time when many people, even the bigger names, didn't know each other well (if at all).

The whole community has evolved. We do know more forumites in real life. And, so, the forum has become more of a social networking type of site, as opposed to the traditional forum. And so you're going to get more social type banter.

Sometimes its in a 'and you might find these threads helpful' - great! - pointing them towards helpful stuff. But sometimes its also a bit 'yawn, we really don't want to talk about that again'. Not so helpful.
    The vast majority of people add a harperlink to discussions such as that. And even if the person replying couldn't add one, quite often someone does follow it up with a link. And don't forget there's those links to similar discussions at the bottom of a page. It's a very rare case that someone would get a "yawn".

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    The vast majority of people add a harperlink to discussions such as that. And even if the person replying couldn't add one, quite often someone does follow it up with a link. And don't forget there's those links to similar discussions at the bottom of a page. It's a very rare case that someone would get a "yawn".
    Oh no, not literally a 'yawn' - just that sometimes it may seem that way to a newbie.

And I'm all for reviving past threads rather than start new ones - that way all the past wisdom (!) can get shared with new posters.

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

I've mad it a point since my Return As NewDJ
    Sorry, but can you clarify: is this the the old NewDJ, or the new NewDJ, or the new, improved (with extra content not just a shiny new wrapping) NewDJ? Has your formulation improved? How about your taste? What can you offer to those of us who prefer DJ Classic? And when are you going to introduce DJ Zero?

Blog Entries

And I'm all for reviving past threads rather than start new ones - that way all the past wisdom (!) can get shared with new posters.
    Yeah... but if it's a massive thread, newbies may be put off by not wanting to read through 200+ pages or whatever. So maybe sometimes a new thread is better at attracting comment?

As long as a new thread links back to an old one (e.g. the "how long have you been dancing" one), then this is reasonable.

I also wonder if threads should be made "inactive" after a certain period of time - for example, if no-one's posted on it for a year. Although admittedly some of the fun is seeing 3-year-old threads suddenly resurface

Blog Entries

I also wonder if threads should be made "inactive" after a certain period of time - for example, if no-one's posted on it for a year.
    So all posts prior to your joining the forum should be made inactive?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    So all posts prior to your joining the forum should be made inactive?
    Well, I hadn't considered it that way, but now that you mention it...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo View Post
    Sorry, but can you clarify: is this the the old NewDJ, or the new NewDJ, or the new, improved (with extra content not just a shiny new wrapping) NewDJ? Has your formulation improved? How about your taste? What can you offer to those of us who prefer DJ Classic? And when are you going to introduce DJ Zero?
    Yes, no, no, yes, possibly, dunno and after 10K.

OK, fair cop, I do still do the occasional frivolous post...

Thread Information