Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Joint Pain

The Forum Legend

Re: Joint Pain

Quote Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
    That's pretty good for a student!
    where's the toast with beans, toast with cheese, toast and jam, toast and butter.....?
    Bloody diets

Quote Originally Posted by some vague, unsubstantiated source or other
    Solanine foods often trigger joint pain
    Tomatoes don't actually plot to harm you, of course, but they do contain solanine, an alkaloid known for its toxicity. Potatoes, eggplants and peppers are also members of the Solanum family. These plants are known as nightshade plants, and the solanine in their leaves and roots provide natural protection against insects. For most of us non-insects, solanine is neutralised in the intestine. But because solanine foods often trigger joint pain, some researchers believe that arthritis patients may lack the intestinal mechanism that undoes solanine's toxicity.
    So arthritis has nothing to do with aging joints wearing out, as we used to believe back in the Unenlightened Ages, then?

And I presume arthritis was virtually unknown in pre 16th Century Britain before these poisonous foodstuffs were introduced?

And vast swathes of central & South America were crippled by it because all there was to eat was tomatoes and aubergines yet again. With chile.

And if we compared the incidence of arthritis in a Mediterranean population (who eat shedloads of Solanum stuff) with a comparative group in, say, Iron Age Britain, we would obviously find that The Meds were absolute martyrs to their joints, while the Brits were skipping round like spring lambs to a ripe old age.

I'm sure as hell not giving up my chips and baingan burtha without a bit of incontrovertible research to make it worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat View Post
    [...]

I'm sure as hell not giving up my chips and baingan burtha without a bit of incontrovertible research to make it worthwhile.
    Based on the research I've seen, *some* arthritis may be caused, or may be aggravated by solanine.

If I had arthritis I've try cutting back or even giving up these foods and seeing what effect it had.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Thread Information