• Rochester

4 16.67%
  • Don't care as long as he wears a tricorn

1 4.17%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Darcy or Rochester?

Re: Darcy or Rochester?

Quote Originally Posted by Juju View Post
    Looks like it's a bit of a walkover for Darcy then!

Personally I think Colin Firth pretty much wipes the floor with Matthew McWhatsisface. Also I much prefer the Beeb's version of "P&P" - parts of the film script sounded so anachronistic and clumsy that they made me want to throw things at the screen.
    I agree - Matthew MaFadyen (?) was really cute in Spooks but just didn't do it for me in the new P&P. Mind you, I wasn't overly impressed with that version anyway (I too wanted to throw things at the cinema screen - prefereably the big clunky boots I was wearing). Could rant for ages on the problems with that version - Keira as the wrong choice for Lizzie, the director seeming to think he was doing Wuthering Heights rather than P&P - but at the risk of deviating from the topic I'll bite my tongue!

But maybe we should open this poll out to include two more famous Byronic heroes - Heathcliff and Rhett Butler? Have to say though that based on the book versions Mr Darcy would still win me over - the others are just a little too mean for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Louisa View Post
    Could rant for ages on the problems with that version - Keira as the wrong choice for Lizzie...
    I haven't liked that girl since she snogged my boyfriends Johnny Depp & Orlando Bloom in Pirates of the Carribean....skank!

Interesting that no one has mentioned HOW MUCH MORE MONEY Mr Darcy has...

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post

Perhaps you should have watched ''Reader, I married him', then you would understand.......... It is the man who has changed for the better, for the love of the woman, who we really want.............

Elaine

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineB View Post
    Perhaps you should have watched ''Reader, I married him', then you would understand.......... It is the man who has changed for the better, for the love of the woman, who we really want.............

Elaine

I read Jane Eyre EVERY YEAR and once I get to that part I just bawl my eyes out until the end. There isn't a movie or mini-series that can do justice to Rochester in the book.

But at least Mr Rochester has 3 votes now....

Have to vote for Rochester - not that Darcy isn't attractive, but Rochester at least knows how to be passionate, even if he waits to show it. And he has a very sexy voice (always, for some reason).

If you search for "Jane eyre James Barbour" on YouTube you can see some poor quality but fab video of some of the more emotional songs from the American musical version which have always endeared Rochester to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tessalicious View Post
    Have to vote for Rochester - not that Darcy isn't attractive, but Rochester at least knows how to be passionate
    Exactly!!! Rochester is the man you'd want to take to bed!!!

Well, I don't, because I'm perfectly happy with the one I've got already. But, I want Jane to all the way through the book - whereas most of the time I want Lizzie to give Darcy a good slap, and it's only at the end that he redeems himself.

I thought you were talking about Rochester from The Libertine for a minute, played by the delectable Depp, so I was tempted...

Colin Firth in a wet shirt. Nuff said.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    I know. Ennit great?

Juju

Off the point a bit, I know, but....

The clothes on the Beeb adaptation have been making me cross! The book was published in 1847, so Jane's kit is ok for that period - though I'd associate with slightly later now I think about it. However, all the other ladies, ironically, look to be wearing clothes from a slightly earlier period - not just in the flashbacks, but in the everyday scenes. There's a definite 1830's look (maybe even earlier) to some of the posh ladies' costumes - and I hate 1830's fashions - more to the point, they should be dressed more fashionably than Jane, not less so. I suspect that the costume designers may have done this because 1830's fashions look more silly and frivolous whereas later fashions were more prim and sober, but it still annoys me.

I have tried to find information on the costumes on the beeb website, but there doesn't appear to be anything there. I'm posting this on here because I was hoping that someone with a bit more expertise than me has either:

a) seen this hideous anachronism and agrees with me totally; or
    b) seen it, thinks it's just fine as it is - in which case please tell me where I'm going wrong!

Thread Information