Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Well Done

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Well Done

Quote Originally Posted by Juju View Post
    One thing about this forum, and I've been wanting to get this off my chest for a while now... I've not been registered on the forum for that long, but what I've found out since starting in June is: on the one hand it's very encouraging and informative, and people have been very helpful to me personally, which is sweet. On the other hand it's like a fast track to Paranoia...
    So true - no pain without gain, that's my motto.

But that's natural - and I think the more information we get about stuff outside our local dance world, the better. I've been dancing ages, and I'd never explicitly considered things like floorcraft or musicality before getting on this forum.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TiggsTours View Post
    Quite possibly, but it happened about 10 times on Saturday, all with different guys!
    Were these men, by any chance, Lindy Hoppers?

MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Juju

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    I've been dancing ages, and I'd never explicitly considered things like floorcraft or musicality before getting on this forum.

*drags thread off at a tangent*

... and that's another thing - all these discussions about/lessons on musicality - isn't it a bit like taking lessons in how to be cool? That is, you can't? There are some things which are innate - surely musicality is one of them?

*drags thread off at a tangent*
    A thread going off topic? Can't have that!
    ... and that's another thing - all these discussions about/lessons on musicality - isn't it a bit like taking lessons in how to be cool? That is, you can't? There are some things which are innate - surely musicality is one of them?
    You could say that about dancing but people still go to classes.

For some musicality is natural and easy. I find it pretty easy myself which has made me terribly lazy about working at it.

It is something you can learn and improve, you might have to start to to think about music differently, listen to it differently, but its a world waiting to be explored for many dancers, they just need a little help in finding the way. Its not just something for some already musically gifted group of dancers.

And yes, I've learnt a lot about musicality through this forum. Thanks guys.

The Forum Legend

Of course it's innate. But that doesn't mean that it can't be learnt. Or that those people who have it innately, can't get better at it with practise.

Lots of things are skills, however, remember the old quote - genius is 1% inspiration, and 99% perspiration!

Reading this has made me giggle and look at something I do myself.

If I have a really good dance then I have found myself doing a quick clap at the end of it with the excitement of it

My goodness...will that be seen as being patronising or something else bad? DO hope not!

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by angelique View Post
    Reading this has made me giggle and look at something I do myself.

If I have a really good dance then I have found myself doing a quick clap at the end of it with the excitement of it

My goodness...will that be seen as being patronising or something else bad? DO hope not!
    You have never clapped when you've danced me - I feel very unpatronised now sis!

Blog Entries

What, you think the Fonz didn't practise? I bet he did, really...

Quote Originally Posted by angelique View Post
    Aww, that's cute! They'd have to be a right M.O.G. to object to that.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp View Post
    Of course it's innate. But that doesn't mean that it can't be learnt.
    Yes it does, at least by the definition that something innate is NOT from experience. Innate skills cannot be learnt. Mozart could play by ear I think, I can't see anyone picking that up in music GCSE

TiggsTours

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Were these men, by any chance, Lindy Hoppers?

Absolutely not. They were the sort of guys who "know alot of moves".

Commercial Operator

Absolutely not. They were the sort of guys who "know alot of moves".
    Good reply!!

Well done, Tiggs.

What, you think the Fonz didn't practise? I bet he did, really...
    I had as a child (and probably still have someone lurking around in an attic) a Happy Days album that included a track which was just Fonz expressions to listen to and practice!

Quote Originally Posted by SnowWhite View Post
    You have never clapped when you've danced me - I feel very unpatronised now sis!

Sorry...do I know you???

I did but I kept it quiet...didn't want you to think I enjoyed it!

The Dashing Moderator

I got a "Well Done" last night.

Admittedly it was qualified with a more specific comment: something like "You interpreted the music nicely - Well Done!". Does this count?
    Love dance, will travel

TiggsTours

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    I got a "Well Done" last night.

Admittedly it was qualified with a more specific comment: something like "You interpreted the music nicely - Well Done!". Does this count?
    Absolutely! Surely "That was great! I love the way you interpret the music" sounds better, and less patronsing?

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Absolutely! Surely "That was great! I love the way you interpret the music" sounds better, and less patronsing?
    Let's add one word:

"I love the unique way you interpret the music!"

Hmmm.

Blog Entries

I do see what you mean - it's funny how much difference there is between "That was great" and "You did great", isn't it?

Even though they're pretty much the same statement ("I think that you did well there, congratulations"), one is seen as congratulatory / encouraging and one is seen as patronising / smug.

All I'd say is, I'm pretty sure that most people are trying to be encouraging rather than patronising, but some of us aren't that good with words. So I think you should probably assume it's meant nicely rather than meanly.

I do see what you mean - it's funny how much difference there is between "That was great" and "You did great", isn't it?

Even though they're pretty much the same statement ("I think that you did well there, congratulations"), one is seen as congratulatory / encouraging and one is seen as patronising / smug.

All I'd say is, I'm pretty sure that most people are trying to be encouraging rather than patronising, but some of us aren't that good with words. So I think you should probably assume it's meant nicely rather than meanly.
    That's my attitude .

I danced with a lot of guys on Sat night that I haven't danced with for a while, some not since they were in the revision class. I could see progress and I was telling them this - I hope they all took it as encouragement!

However I can see a change in people's dancing and recognise improvement and development, even if they were better than me in the first place. So its definitely not 'looking down' on anyone!

The Forum Legend

After this thread, is there anyone else considering making the trip down to London, just so that they can dance with Tiggs, and say well done afterwards*?

*Possibly combined with a little pat on the bottom

Thread Information