Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Well Done

TiggsTours

Well Done

Have any other ladies out there noticed an irritating new trend amongst our gentlemen friends to finish a dance with the line "Well done"?

Nearly every man I danced with at Hammersmith on Saturday night said this, as if they are congratulating me for "keeping up" with them! How patronising!

If you are a man who says this at the end of a dance, all I can say is, PLEASE DON'T!!!

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Re: Well Done

Quote Originally Posted by TiggsTours View Post
    Have any other ladies out there noticed an irritating new trend amongst our gentlemen friends to finish a dance with the line "Well done"?

Nearly every man I danced with at Hammersmith on Saturday night said this, as if they are congratulating me for "keeping up" with them! How patronising!

If you are a man who says this at the end of a dance, all I can say is, PLEASE DON'T!!!
    I got that from a lady, a while ago at the end of a dance - "Well Done!"

I thought it was hilarious.

That's really patronising. I know some of the guys do it to the girls I dance with regularly and they hate it

I usually say 'thanks' with a smile and anything else I can think of!

edit: *** is a 'smaile'... doh

The Forum Legend

Surely it's better than at least one of the alternatives!

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

maybe it could come from the same place as people chanting along the moves or 5,6,7,8. They may pick it up from the teacher and they see it nas a compliment.

I personally think its a big insult. Do i look as tho i cant keep up. If you thought that why did you ask me to dance?

If i ask someone to dance and the reply with "i'm only a beginner" or "i have only been dancing X weeks" Then i try to end the dance with a compliment. Eg. That was really good or Have you only been dancing for a few weeks wow . But never Well done! Its just so many types of wrong!

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by drathzel View Post
    maybe it could come from the same place as people chanting along the moves or 5,6,7,8.
    Look on the bright side. At least they didn't ask you to give yourself a big round of applause.

Registered User Tazmanian Devil's Avatar

I think a quick respose of no well done you!! Is in order here

Had it said to me (by a forumite, I think) and said it to others!

Commercial Operator

At Ashton's recently I had the comment... "you're really getting the hang of those beginner's moves now - well done!"

Don't you just love 'em

Sara

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

I think I've inadvertantly said a few stupid things at the end of dances before "That could have been better" was probably one of the best - of course it was because I was dancing particularly badly, but as I walked away thought "oh ****, why did I say that".

Ive got a new one though, finish the dance, look into their eyes and say "stunning"

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat View Post
    Had it said to me (by a forumite, I think) and said it to others!
    Hmmm, hope it wasn't me.

I'm going to put my hand up and say I have occasionally said this, or something like it. Typically, it's after I've had to persuade a reluctant beginner to dance with me, to reassure her that she was fine, she had nothing to worry about, I enjoyed it etc.

I dunno if I'd say "well done", I might say "That was fine", or something. Maybe that's seen as patronising, I don't care. I'd rather be too patronising than not reassuring enough.

Similarly, I've also said similar things (e.g. "See? Easy!") after leading someone through a difficult move such as the straightjacket - typically to allay the look of terror on the woman's face when she realises I've got both my arms wrapped around her and her arms trapped behind her back.

Again, I think the "reassurance" outweighs the "patronising", but I'd rather patronise than not reassure.

Juju

One thing about this forum, and I've been wanting to get this off my chest for a while now... I've not been registered on the forum for that long, but what I've found out since starting in June is: on the one hand it's very encouraging and informative, and people have been very helpful to me personally, which is sweet. On the other hand it's like a fast track to Paranoia...

Since coming on here I've discovered:

1. I'm from the Midlands, therefore all I do is bounce. And God forbid I take big steps....

2. Floorcraft. Never heard of it till I came on here; "floorcraft" is apparently most notable for its absence amongst "inconsiderate" dancers, most particulary in the Blues Room at Southport. At least I can blame that one on the lead.

3. Etiquette. Doesn't matter what you say or what you do, someone will get offended by it. I've probably broken all the rules of dance etiquette at one time or another, but, hey, I'm a nice person - really - and no offence was intended.

Yes, it does sound like a patronising comment, but I suspect that it was probably intended in the way DJ described, i.e. someone, for whatever reason, trying to be nice?

TiggsTours

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Hmmm, hope it wasn't me.

I'm going to put my hand up and say I have occasionally said this, or something like it. Typically, it's after I've had to persuade a reluctant beginner to dance with me, to reassure her that she was fine, she had nothing to worry about, I enjoyed it etc.

I dunno if I'd say "well done", I might say "That was fine", or something. Maybe that's seen as patronising, I don't care. I'd rather be too patronising than not reassuring enough.

Similarly, I've also said similar things (e.g. "See? Easy!") after leading someone through a difficult move such as the straightjacket - typically to allay the look of terror on the woman's face when she realises I've got both my arms wrapped around her and her arms trapped behind her back.

Again, I think the "reassurance" outweighs the "patronising", but I'd rather patronise than not reassure.
    But saying it to a beginner (or something similar, like "that was really good", I'd NEVER use "well done") who has been a bit nervous is one thing, but someone who's been dancing for 10 years and, Id like to think, is actually pretty good?.........
    Last edited by TiggsTours; 25th-September-2006 at 02:41 PM.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Juju View Post
    a fast track to Paranoia...
    I've never had ANYONE say "well done" to me, at the end of a dance... So, what does 'that' mean then?
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Blog Entries

I wonder if it was the feller Northdants Girly danced with last year?

TiggsTours

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    I wonder if it was the feller Northdants Girly danced with last year?
    Quite possibly, but it happened about 10 times on Saturday, all with different guys!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    I think 'patronising' can be as much how someone hears a comment as how it is meant. If someone means to be patronising, then that's their problem really. If someone is meaning to be encouraging, and the recipient feels patronised, then that can say more about their own attitude than anything else. (Eg that they actually aren't that confident.)

I would tend to think that the person meant a compliment/encouragement and take it as such. (Even if its from someone who has been dancing only about 3 weeks, I just smile to myself.)
    Last edited by Lynn; 25th-September-2006 at 03:31 PM.

TiggsTours

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    I think 'patronising' can be as much how someone hears a comment as how it is meant. If someone means to be patronising, then fine, if that's how they feel they can communicate then that's their problem really. If someone is meaning to be encouraging, and the recipient feels patronised, then that says more about their own attitude than anything else.

I would tend to think that the person meant a compliment/encouragement and take it as such. (Even if its from someone who has been dancing only about 3 weeks, I just smile to myself.)
    I agree, and the first time it happened, even the second, I just smiled to myself and thought it a shame they couldn't express themselves better. The third time I thought, hmm, that's odd, the fourth time I started to become really intrigued, and after that I started to wonder if there is some sort of inner movement within Ceroc that has started to teach all these guys that this is the right terminology to use at the end of a dance!

I just think that we all need to work together to nip this one in the bud quickly!

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

I just think that we all need to work together to nip this one in the bud quickly!
    A good idea. Well done!

...sorry.

I agree, and the first time it happened, even the second, I just smiled to myself and thought it a shame they couldn't express themselves better. The third time I thought, hmm, that's odd, the fourth time I started to become really intrigued, and after that I started to wonder if there is some sort of inner movement within Ceroc that has started to teach all these guys that this is the right terminology to use at the end of a dance!

Yep, I would find it irritating if it happened several times on one night. I might even suspect a practical joke.

Someone, somewhere, must have told them its the thing to say.

Thread Information