Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do boys mean when....

What do boys mean when....

I have encountered a situation where I would like a guys perspective on a particular behaviour...

Let me set up the scenario:

Girl meets boy, have been on 1 date since meeting 8 weeks ago as boy been interstate lots for work.

Girl tries to contact boy (once) but boy does not reply to message.

Two weeks later, boy phones up asking her to come to a friend of his' house to have some dinner and drinks with him and his friends before leaving for a month in WA.

Girl has not met any of boy's friends and doesn't know him well.

Here are my questions:

Is boy interested in girl?

As a boy, do you ask a girl out you dont know very well to your friends place to catch up with you and your friends before going away?

Or is this perhaps a way to say, I like you but as a friend only?

AND what are the repercussions if girl doesn't go? (due to illness or other perfectly legitimate reason, say not feeling 100% comfortable going to an unknown house with unknown people - or is girl just being chicken?)

Im opening up the phone lines ... what do you think?

(NB Ive also asked this on the Aussie Forum but was curious to know what the opinion was from the other side of the world)

Registered User El Salsero Gringo's Avatar

Re: What do boys mean when....

Quote Originally Posted by KatieR View Post
    I have encountered a situation where I would like a guys perspective on a particular behaviour...

Let me set up the scenario:

Girl meets boy, have been on 1 date since meeting 8 weeks ago as boy been interstate lots for work.

Girl tries to contact boy (once) but boy does not reply to message.

Two weeks later, boy phones up asking her to come to a friend of his' house to have some dinner and drinks with him and his friends before leaving for a month in WA.

Girl has not met any of boy's friends and doesn't know him well.

Here are my questions:

Is boy interested in girl?

As a boy, do you ask a girl out you dont know very well to your friends place to catch up with you and your friends before going away?

Or is this perhaps a way to say, I like you but as a friend only?

AND what are the repercussions if girl doesn't go? (due to illness or other perfectly legitimate reason, say not feeling 100% comfortable going to an unknown house with unknown people - or is girl just being chicken?)

Im opening up the phone lines ... what do you think?

(NB Ive also asked this on the Aussie Forum but was curious to know what the opinion was from the other side of the world)
    I think you ask wrong person. Best person to ask about Boy's feeling for Girl is Boy himself.

TiggsTours

Quote Originally Posted by El Salsero Gringo View Post
    I think you ask wrong person. Best person to ask about Boy's feeling for Girl is Boy himself.
    Don't ever try to work out what someone is thinking by asking someone else! They'll nearly always be wrong.

Maybe he likes you, but as he's obviously not going to be around much, doesn't want to start stringing you along. Maybe its something totally different.

Maybe you should just go for dinner with him at his mates, have a fabulously fun evening, make some new friends, not stress yourself out about it, then take the opportunity afterwards to ask him what it is he wants.

Having said that, I'd turn him down, on the grounds that I know neither him nor his friends well enough to enjoy an evening all together. Dinner with him alone? Sure. Not with his friends though.

TiggsTours

Having said that, I'd turn him down, on the grounds that I know neither him nor his friends well enough to enjoy an evening all together. Dinner with him alone? Sure. Not with his friends though.
    I wouldn't, he might have a cute single mate, who's not complicated!

This was my line of thinking...

Quote Originally Posted by TiggsTours View Post
    I wouldn't, he might have a cute single mate, who's not complicated!
    I know, but Im just being a little cautious... Ill regret not going tomorrow *sigh*

He wants to see you. If you don't go you may never find out why.

If the evening isn't going well you can still make your excuses and leave.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    It might be better never to find out why.

Arrange to do something guaranteed to take you're mind off what you're (almost certainly not) missing: cinema, theatre etc. instead.

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post

If the evening isn't going well you can still make your excuses and leave.
    When I spoke to him he said we would have dinner when he gets back from Western Australia.

It might be better never to find out why.

Arrange to do something guaranteed to take you're mind off what you're (almost certainly not) missing: cinema, theatre etc. instead.
    Exactly... I dont even know him that well, we have only seen each other a grand total of twice since first meeting about 2 months ago. Just seems odd that he wants me to meet him at his friends house not meet me first so that I dont have to go in alone.

They might be gang rapists or just boring twerps. (Look on the bright side. ) You need to find out first. As regards Boy: he didn't return your call, and if he was so busy he didn't have time to see you as well as his mates he would be better off keeping in touch with you by phone. Yeah, you could ask him what his feelings are towards you, but that seems a bit heavy after one date, so....by their deeds you shall know them! If he really, really wanted to get to know you he would be seeing you instead of his mates. You could try keeping in touch by text or whatever but if he doesn't meet you halfway I'd move on. NEXT!

When I spoke to him he said we would have dinner when he gets back from Western Australia.
    OK, well it sounds like he is interested, and was trying to see you when he had an opportunity.

Hope the dinner with him when he gets back goes well.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

TiggsTours

Exactly... I dont even know him that well, we have only seen each other a grand total of twice since first meeting about 2 months ago. Just seems odd that he wants me to meet him at his friends house not meet me first so that I dont have to go in alone.
    I hadn't realised he meant to meet you there! In that case, I'd definitely say no!

I was thinking that maybe its the last opportunity he has to see his friends before he goes away, but he also would really like to see you, so he's invited you along, but if he can't even be bothered to come and pick you up to go there, and make sure you are at ease before spending the evening with strangers, and ensure he has some quality time with you on your own before seeing his friends, then I'd say its really not worth the effort!

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat View Post
    I'd move on. NEXT!

Yeah, you could ask him what his feelings are towards you, but that seems a bit heavy after one date, so....by their deeds you shall know them!
    I figure it's up to the person doing the asking to come up with a suggestion that sufficiently interests me that I'd want to go. An evening with someone's mates is about as interesting (to me) as a three-week rotting kipper, so I'd have no hesitation in saying no. I still wouldn't try to interpret what his "feelings" are (he's a bloke, he probably hasn't got any) though.

Commercial Operator

You could try keeping in touch by text or whatever but if he doesn't meet you halfway I'd move on. NEXT!

I'm afraid he's not exactly showing enthusiasm, whichever way you look at it. Plenty of fish and all that...

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post

I'm afraid he's not exactly showing enthusiasm, whichever way you look at it. Plenty of fish and all that...
    I figure it's up to the person doing the asking to come up with a suggestion that sufficiently interests me that I'd want to go. An evening with someone's mates is about as interesting (to me) as a three-week rotting kipper, so I'd have no hesitation in saying no. I still wouldn't try to interpret what his "feelings" are (he's a bloke, he probably hasn't got any) though.
    I hadn't realised he meant to meet you there! In that case, I'd definitely say no!

I was thinking that maybe its the last opportunity he has to see his friends before he goes away, but he also would really like to see you, so he's invited you along, but if he can't even be bothered to come and pick you up to go there, and make sure you are at ease before spending the evening with strangers, and ensure he has some quality time with you on your own before seeing his friends, then I'd say its really not worth the effort!

Sometimes Im not quite sure if my instincts are right, so I appreciate the confirmation that Im not chicken!

I haven't been out dating since my ex nearly 2 years ago so dont know what is right and what is perhaps a little bit wrong. I would have at least liked him to meet me before hand or something.

Ding!

Does seem rather odd that 1) he doesn't want to see you alone (god if I was on a date with someone, I'd never want my mates there! I want to give that person my full, undivided attention) and 2) wants to meet you there. I wouldn't feel comfortable in that situation.

As El Salsero says, it's near on impossible to know what someone is thinking without asking that person. Whenever I need some advice with what to do with a girl, I ask a girl friend or a few girl friends and sometimes getting a bewildering array of answers!

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

What ever happened to communication? Phone him and ask if he'd mind picking you up, as you feel uncomfortable about turning up at a strangers house. Maybe he would like to get to know you as a mate before deciding if it'll lead anywhere. Sounds reasonable to me. Talk to him, it's the only way of putting things in perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    What ever happened to communication? Phone him and ask if he'd mind picking you up, as you feel uncomfortable about turning up at a strangers house. Maybe he would like to get to know you as a mate before deciding if it'll lead anywhere. Sounds reasonable to me. Talk to him, it's the only way of putting things in perspective.
    I tried but he didn't answer his phone.

I find the 'drinks' part in this night in a bit concerning. So I'd definitely turn it down!

Thread Information