Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anonymity and Identity

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Anonymity and Identity

I know this has been debated a little already, but there's a good article here:
    http://alistapart.com/articles/identitymatters

Bearing in mind the recent GaG fracas, there are some extremely good quotes from there.
    A couple of example:
    • "As most party hosts knows, it’s usually the people who just “show up” and that you don’t know who can create the biggest headaches."
    • "People build reputations in their usernames, and so their reputation becomes something they value and want to protect."

So, what do people think? How much is the freedom to express yourself anonymously balanced against the value of being a "known" person, even pseudonuymously known?

Are there any mechanisms we could use in this forum to achieve better freedom of expression, combined with credible comment?

Re: Anonymity and Identity

On a related note. There was an story recently at the Register about a web browser based on Mozilla which gives the user far more anonymity. Guess it is for those who don't want to be tracked by anything and the overly paranoid.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by detomo View Post
    On a related note. There was an story recently at the Register about a web browser based on Mozilla which gives the user far more anonymity. Guess it is for those who don't want to be tracked by anything and the overly paranoid.
    yes , yesterday does count as "recently" C'mon though, no one is a true geek if they haven't surfed the net anonymously at some point. Can you explain how one can be "overly paranoid" on t'internet. Its not paranoia if they are out to get you.

I suppose the obvious question is
    "What do you want to be known for?"

Amir - Jango
    MissyD - Going Upstairs
    Straycat - humour
    Taz - mischief

The first one requires an actual real-world rep to back it up. The other 3 just require consistent posting under the same alias.

Be Well,
    Christopher

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post

Amir - Jango
    MissyD - Going Upstairs
    Straycat - humour
    Taz - mischief

The first one requires an actual real-world rep to back it up. The other 3 just require consistent posting under the same alias.

Be Well,
    Christopher
    Minnie M - where to go/dance list aka lyndaslist

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post

Amir - Jango
    MissyD - Going Upstairs
    Straycat - humour
    Taz - mischief
    Have I just been type-cast?

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    Minnie M - where to go/dance list aka lyndaslist
    What blatant act of self promotion. But you are dead right, you should be on that list.

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    Have I just been type-cast?
    He is preparing to ask you for a favour, no doubt. Probably as 'a friend of ghost'.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Are there any mechanisms we could use in this forum to achieve better freedom of expression, combined with credible comment?
    Probably not at the moment. If you look into the question of identity spoofing on the Internet, obtain such a result is pretty easy.

My view is that, even if the temptation of lame trollism will always be there, the human mind, which likes to be integrated, will have people get an online nick and keep it. The one I'm using here is the same as on many other forums, it would make little sense to be a wise man in one place and a jerk on another. If any of you use metasearch applications like Copernic, you will see that cross check someone's contributions (and using the IP address, often visible on fora, as a reference) is very doable.

When reading the question: "What do you want to be famous / remembered for?, I find myself wonderring: do I want to be remembered? We are just dancers, for heaven's sake. Maybe dance can help solve issues like global warming and world hunger, but I somehow doubt it will.

There is a magnificient, thrilling freedom in anonimity in this respect, that matches Lori's thread on the social superficiality at dance venues as well as another recent discussion on friendship. It applies to both Internet and dancing in the fact that several people can share a common interest or passion without any major need to focus on the persona. The way I see it:

No, I don't want to know your name,
    Or how you are or what you do,
    No need to flirt or to get close,
    Your steps your moves for me will do.

I don't want to get personal,
    Ask where you live and if you do
    Dance here or there or anywhere,
    Now ! I just wanna dance with you.

...Yeah, baby!
    Last edited by Flat_Eric; 21st-September-2006 at 11:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    I know this has been debated a little already, but there's a good article here:
    http://alistapart.com/articles/identitymatters
    [Sorry, I'm coming late to this thread!]

It's an OK article, and I think I agree with his conclusions, if not so much with the rambling way he gets there! It would be more convicing if he got his facts right - Wikipedia doesn't require registration (I just edited the Ceroc article anonymously to check - adding a link for Merengue).

There's a long-standing right in Anglo-Saxon common-law countries to use different aliases in different contexts. This is a Good Thing, as it protects people's privacy. It's threatened, in the UK, by the ID card proposal, which I consider a Bad Thing because, while it may start with the best of intentions, it will undoubtedly be misused by overzealous beaurocrats and commercial interests.

The Internet has an interesting problem though, in that it removes social inhibitions that apply when you interact in person. In the physical world, even if you are somewhere where no one knows your name, knowing you are observed leads to embarassment if you consider doing something particularly idiotic. On the Internet, people don't see who's observing them, and thus don't feel the same inhibitions. Maybe this is just a phase, and when society generally has experience of ill-judged things on the Internet coming back to bite people, there will be inhibitions online too?

Quote Originally Posted by Flat_Eric View Post
    If any of you use metasearch applications like Copernic, you will see that cross check someone's contributions (and using the IP address, often visible on fora, as a reference) is very doable.
    I use the same username for all my various forum accounts. I'm fairly open about myself and don't "hide" behind it. I often end my posts with my real name but when all's said and done.. it's not me. It's probably more what I'd want to be, forums are a great media for expression.. I'm able to put my thoughts into text better than I can into words.. Beowulf is quite an eccentric chap, a bit of a thespian, self effacing effusive and (I hope) friendly and likable. Pete is the reality behind Beo. A lot shyer.. a lot less outgoing and quiet (but hopefully just as likable)

Beo is the mask I wear.. the alter ego of Pete. Mind you.. the fact That Beo himself has an Alter ego? hmm.. Things get complicated about here Hehehe

Best regards

Pete/Beo/W/All of the Above

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post
    [...] I often end my posts with my real name but when all's said and done.. it's not me. It's probably more what I'd want to be [...]
    Sorry but I don't think that's possible to do in the long term. Your personality will come out. It might be a different aspect of your personality, but it's still you.

There are many ways of self expression. Just because you are shy (as I am) in real life face-to-face talking, doesn't mean you're going to be shy using a different mode of communication.
    Last edited by ducasi; 30th-September-2006 at 10:14 PM.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    Sorry but I don't think that's possible to do in the long term. Your personality will come out. It might be a different aspect of your personality, but it's still you.

There are many ways of self expression. Just because you are shy (as I am) in real life face-to-face talking, doesn't mean you're going to be shy using a different mode of communication.
    Oh so very true

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    Sorry but I don't think that's possible to do in the long term. Just because you are shy (as I am) in real life face-to-face talking, doesn't mean you're going to be shy using a different mode of communication.

well that's what I mean. On the forum I'm quite erm.. vocal in real life i'm quieter. On the forum I'm not afraid to use longer words or more poetic and flowery forms of speech. In real life , dealing with a slight speech problem I tend to not use words I can trip over. etc

So I guess it boils down to who is the real me and who is the mask? perhaps Beo is the real me .. open and outspoken while Pete hiding behind his shyness and quietness is the mask I wear?

Obviously the more I post the more of who/what I am comes out and my personality (such as it is) shines through between the lines I write on the screen. I have no idea what people think of me from my posts. but I suspect the people that know me ONLY as Beowulf and the People that know me ONLY as Pete may well have different ideas about this person.

And the Person I think of as Me.. probably different from both of those perceptions yet again

On the forum I'm quite erm.. vocal in real life i'm quieter. On the forum I'm not afraid to use longer words or more poetic and flowery forms of speech.
    Interesting concepts being aired here - like you Pete - or should I use your alterego Beowulf? - most of my friends think I'm quiet and unassuming. When I write I can take my time and put the full force of my personality and quirky sense of humour into the topic. In essence a completely different part of me comes out. Same person, different situation, different results. Somehow the plot to "Roxanne" comes to mind here.

Then there's dancing which is yet another form of expression and has brought out another whole new side of me.... generally I hate to be in the spotlight but have happily done a dance demo in front of a large audience.

Anyway, I enjoy reading your stuff. Keep it up Beowulf, I like your style

So I guess it boils down to who is the real me and who is the mask?

good point, I think that goes for most of us on here

I know I allow people to think allsorts about me, but as Silver Fox told me recently I am completly opposite to my first impression, so the question is why do it?

If people stick around long enough and except the loud brash, scary, Fletch, then they might get to see the real one, who is very loving, sensitive,caring and loyal but also allows people to take advantage of her good nature, so she has to remain hidden most of the time

Quote Originally Posted by Blueshoes View Post
    Then there's dancing which is yet another form of expression and has brought out another whole new side of me....

Its like acting you can pretend to be someone else

Interesting thread...i personally am like an open book...although my pages are open i am maybe not the easiest read on the shelf ..but to all of those who are willing to dedicate themselves to reading on you will in time realise that i am kind, generous and caring and mostly selfless to those who care! ....i am always me....although i have a mask it only part covers the true me... you get what you see so if you dont like me now...you never will but if you like me i will never let you down

In short......i like being me

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    Interesting thread...i personally am like an open book...although my pages are open i am maybe not the easiest read on the shelf ..but to all of those who are willing to dedicate themselves to reading on you will in time realise that i am kind, generous and caring and mostly selfless to those who care! ....i am always me....although i have a mask it only part covers the true me... you get what you see so if you dont like me now...you never will but if you like me i will never let you down

In short......i like being me
    I could have witten that sound like you are describing me

Well in my eyes everyone has a mask to some degree...a defence barrier..and the only way to get past that is to show you care and let your own mask slip bit by bit....we all want to feel close to the people we like yet we all fear being hurt!..some have thicker masks than others as a result of the way thier life has played out in the past! but with the right respect and the willing to be there for someone...even the hardest of masks can be melted with enough time and attention!...my mask although small is thick and getting through it is often difficult but install me with faith that you are genuine and my mask will break....we must all sometimes take a risk with ourselves in order to find the most valued people in our lives...

Dancing is a way of me letting layers of my mask go while still having the security of the most important factors!...i can talk to ppl who have no judgement of me and get great advice from a wide variety of great people!

The forum again is yet another way for me to express myself (like this long winded babble)

In conclusion CEROC has offered me a way to face my true self and start to share it with new people..its given me a life that for once i am content in the knowledge that i have a healthy lifestyle with stability and wonderful people around me and peopl who i can just offload to when things get too much!

For this i thank you all

(well not sure if this fits the thread but what the hell i needed to ghet it off my chest!)

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Good grief children, this ain't a self-help thread, go and play on the Singleton's Sofa if that's your thing...

My question was mainly about which is best in terms of the forum: anonymity, pseudonuymity or "known to all"-ity?

I feel i must apologise!....my heads all-over just now......to answer your question then....have an identity and be true to yourself is the best way!

Thread Information