Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2003 Champs Results

I must say I had a fantastic day/night watching this event, The standards is just getting higher! The Team event was better than ever with the Showcase TOTALLY amazing, not sure why this isn’t billed as the top event. I thought the Open also took the freestyle to a new level.

Not much has been said about the results. Though C & J should have won the Showcase. Looking at the judging criteria I thought C&J won at least 4 out of the 6.…From the Ceroc Website : Points will be awarded for style, musical interpretation, innovative choreography, quality of dancing, synchronisation of dancers and entertainment value. Thought the Open was closer.. Again I really enjoyed Ash’s showcase but I think the competition was much stronger in this event compared to Blackpool.

For the open I did enjoy the individual styles of Ben & Hollie / Amir & Lilly. C & J look a little drained after the Showcase but managed to keep smiling!…I think Rachel mentioned this in another thread…C&J just have that something extra that puts them above the rest consistently! Can anybody explain what that is? They just seem to win/place sooo often.

From The Ceroc Judging Criteria/Rules for the Open

The dance must be recognisable as a modern jive like Ceroc. (Lindy Hop, Jitterbug, West Coast Swing, East Coast Swing, 50s style Rock 'n' Roll, Ballroom Jive etc are not modern jives and therefore are not permitted)

Points will be awarded for style, musical interpretation, synchronisation of dancers, quality of dancing as well as the variety and complexity of moves.

Looking at the above I possibly C&J won on average, but only just. Was B&H A&L disadvantaged looking ar the section that discusses (recognizable as modern jive)

Does anybody have a view on this?

Mike

The Oracle
    Originally posted by Mike
    The dance must be recognisable as a modern jive like Ceroc. (Lindy Hop, Jitterbug, West Coast Swing, East Coast Swing, 50s style Rock 'n' Roll, Ballroom Jive etc are not modern jives and therefore are not permitted)
    {snip}
    Looking at the above I possibly C&J won on average, but only just. Was B&H A&L disadvantaged looking ar the section that discusses (recognizable as modern jive)
    Both Amir & Lily and Ben & Hollie were doing Modern Jive (as I would define by the timing, the lead & follow, and the basic movement.) But they were definitely not doing it in the way that Ceroc teaches it, or the way that any Ceroc teacher dances it.

As I understand it, the judges were told to reward complexity of moves more as the level increased for Intermediate to Open. This tends to disadvantage any couple who emphasise interpretation of the music - they usually do simpler moves that give more scope for improvisation.

Clayton and Janine probably had the best balance of complexity of moves vs musical interpretation for this competition, and dererved their win.

David

B.T.C.
    Originally posted by Jon

And prehaps Ceroc should actually think about giving decent prizes out. After getting through 5 rounds of lucky dip the 3rd prize is a £10 boogie steps voucher how insulting is that. And 1st price was a £25ish voucher thats not even 1 shoe! If you work out before expenses how much Ceroc made that day it comes to approximatly £25k ticket sales and 4.5k competitor entries. And someone said they dont make a profit!
    As Steve says, some people do it for the 'fame' rather than the money so the cash reward is less important.

We had no idea of what the prize for Double Trouble was until we went on stage and personally no amount of money could replace the joy of having a winner's medal. I'll spend the cash but I'll always have the trophy and the medal. For someone who has never won a national event before ( and might never have the luck to do so again) it means a great deal to have the medal.

I really thought the cheque I had was between the three of us so I was delighted to have it to myself.

For those who really travel eg the Aussies who were there in number, I can imagine a cash prize is very important although I would imagine that winning would be more important so it could be added to their dance CV.

Of course the money was a real bonus.........and I wouldn't have refused more ............... but though it may sound a bit naff or almost sentimental I would have competed without any financial incentive. Just don't ask me to give up my medal

The Oracle

Prize money

I don't think anyone enters for the prize money. But if there is to be only nominal prizes, then only have a nominal entry fee. I'm not quite sure how Ceroc justify £25 entry for the open, and £20 for the showcase, especially if the main prize comes from the sponsors.

It has always struck me as spending a lot of money for the privilege of giving Ceroc a free cabaret performance.

David

Confirmed Forum Plant Siobhan (Forum Plant)'s Avatar
    I agree David- maybe they should pay US to perform/enter!

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Siobhan
    I agree David- maybe they should pay US to perform/enter!
    hmm I think thats a tad facetious Don't think that'll happen ...

Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
    hmm I think thats a tad facetious Don't think that'll happen ...
    If they paid for the flamenco and tango demonstrations why shouldn't they pay for the best modern jivers?
    Or did they make the demonstrators pay as well?

Grant

The Oracle
    Originally posted by jiveclone
    I do not by any means regard £2 a pint for diet coke as a reasonable price. However unfortunately it is quite common to have to pay that sort of price in venues used by CEROC and other modern jive operators in London and the surrounding counties (Berkshire, Surrey, Hampshire, etc).
    It could be worse. We went to a Salsa dance last night (not quite sure why - I can't do Salsa!). I ordered a bottle of Budweiser, a diet coke and a pineapple juice, and it came to £14...

Re: Prize money

Originally posted by DavidB
    I don't think anyone enters for the prize money. But if there is to be only nominal prizes, then only have a nominal entry fee. I'm not quite sure how Ceroc justify £25 entry for the open, and £20 for the showcase, especially if the main prize comes from the sponsors.

It has always struck me as spending a lot of money for the privilege of giving Ceroc a free cabaret performance.

David
    Nope, didn't ever imagine entering for the prize, or being anywhere near getting one. As luck would have it ... ...

... but I do think that the showcase and cabaret performances deserve a lot more... having tried both now I have sunk absolute buckets of cash in preparing both of those performances (the entry fee is nothing in comparison). I'm not really complaining, nobody forced me and I really enjoyed it (most of the time) but the prize for those categories is laughable by comparison.

While I'm at it - a few other comments...

Not sure I agree that complexity of moves won the day... H and I relied heavily on musical interpretation, we had very few moves up our sleeves. (Mind you, I still can't quite grasp that we won, let alone why...)

I was happy with the music all day AND was actually impressed with the toilets that I used.

Hate everything else about the venue... especially £1.50 for water! We are in London - but!

And finally I have to say - I love the trophies!! They chose very attractive and elegant ones compared to some of the other sporting and dancing events I've seen. And the medals. To have them properly engraved is great. Well done Ceroc! I'm thrilled.

The venue - yep, it's pants!!! Even with the reduced number of people it's still a bum fight. Blackpool on the other hand was a joy to be at, and more fun ('serious fun' , isn't that meant to be the catchphrase?), and very friendly atmosphere, great floor, sitting, visibility, changing areas etc. etc., less stress, tension, injuries. The Ceroc Champs, now being a world event has outgrown it's venue - time to think bigger and better perhaps, not expensive cheapness.

Whingeing aside though well done to all the judges and DJ and the rest of the staff for working such a long and exhausting day - it's seriously hard work - well done. I actually had a great, if tiring, day as I was pleased with our result and had lots of support from our friends and fellow competitors. Dancers are a great bunch of people, generally.

Blog Entries
    Mary - are you Mary of Greg and Mary?? If so, big congratulations on your result!! I can't wait for the video to get a proper look at you guys

The Dashing Moderator

Championship Results on website

Hmmm .... "Forum Etiquette" Dilemma: I've just posted on another thread to say that the Ceroc Champs website has (possibly a tad belatedly) been updated with results at www.cerocchamps.com/results.php
    (and also some photos) - but then I notice there's a thread in this forum with a very similar title. Do I put the same post on both threads? Is this allowed??

David
    Love dance, will travel

The Oracle

Re: Championship Results on website

Originally posted by DavidY
    Do I put the same post on both threads? Is this allowed??
    You should know better. It is bad enough having one post that is relevant to the original thread, but 2!!!!

Omnipotent Moderatrix (LMC)

Re: Re: Championship Results on website

Originally posted by DavidB
    It is bad enough having one post that is relevant to the original thread, but 2!!!!

Thread Information