Thread: Panorama Bung Exposé - Bolton, Portsmouth, Chelsea, Liverpool all in frame!!!

Panorama Bung Exposé - Bolton, Portsmouth, Chelsea, Liverpool all in frame!!!

So what do people think after tonights Panorama?

On the face of it it looks like the clubs named are in differing amounts of trouble.

- Bolton/Alladyce in most trouble. Claims that he and his son are big time bungers!

- Portsmouth/Redknapp similar to Alladyce but with less evidence.

- Chelsea tapping up Middlesborough Youth player (talking to player with boro's permission

- Liverpool same as Chelsea, (same player too ironically).

In theory you'd expect the top Bolton & Pompey to be in more trouble as we're talking bungs there rather than just tapping up. But both Chelsea and Liverpool have been caught tapping up players before (Cole & Ziegler respectively) and have been warned that if they do it again then the consequences will be severe!

Also Bolton & Portsmouth might get away with it as clubs whilst their managers just take the rap. For Chelsea and Liverpool, I don't know if they can hang anyone out to dry and avoid punishment for their clubs.

What do people think will happen?

Blog Entries

Re: Panorama Bung Exposé - Bolton, Portsmouth, Chelsea, Liverpool all in frame!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Also Bolton & Portsmouth might get away with it as clubs whilst their managers just take the rap. For Chelsea and Liverpool, I don't know if they can hang anyone out to dry and avoid punishment for their clubs.
    Yup. If I were chairman of either club, I would sack Alladyce/Redknapp immediately, to distance the club from their behaviour. Although, it'd be hard to predict the FA's attitude (not that they've been the most morally law abiding organisation recently, either).

Remember, the Beeb investigated 18 clubs where there were substancial alligations of bungs. These 2 (and to some extent Liverpool & Chelsea) were the only ones that they managed to get enough evidence to present on telly).

Re: Panorama Bung Exposé - Bolton, Portsmouth, Chelsea, Liverpool all in frame!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Yup. If I were chairman of either club, I would sack Alladyce/Redknapp immediately, to distance the club from their behaviour. Although, it'd be hard to predict the FA's attitude (not that they've been the most morally law abiding organisation recently, either).

Remember, the Beeb investigated 18 clubs where there were substancial alligations of bungs. These 2 (and to some extent Liverpool & Chelsea) were the only ones that they managed to get enough evidence to present on telly).
    Agree with you about Alladyce & Redknapp.

From reading the press this morning, it looks like Chelsea & Liverpool might get off completely on a technicality. It's looking like they'll both escape the rap because the player that they were caught on camara tapping up this time around is only in Middlesboroughs youth academy.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Didnt watch it, but from arguments in the office - it was a "PILE OF *****" and that in any other industry discussing the future prospects of someone you manage would be perfectly ok.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Didnt watch it, but from arguments in the office - it was a "PILE OF *****" and that in any other industry discussing the future prospects of someone you manage would be perfectly ok.
    I think it's more to do with everything else that happens to go along with it, iby "discussing the future prospects of someone you manage" with someone who's prepared to slip you several grand for the priviledge of being the only one you're talking to...

From reading the Metro this morning, it seems Bolton are currently standing by their man, which surprises me. But time will tell.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Bolton/Alladyce in most trouble. Claims that he and his son are big time bungers!
    Yes - more to the point, according to the BBC, 2 of the 3 agents said they'd personally bunged them - so that's not just hearsay, that's more like proper confessions. (And isn't it "bung-ees"? )

Allardyce should be immediately suspended pending an investigation - that's what would happen in any other industry after this sort of allegation, and it shows how slothful and innately incompetent the FA is, that this hasn't already happened. But yes, I reckon he's in deep trouble.

The defence the agents are now using is that they lied when saying they bribed Allardyce. But "Oh, I was a liar - but I'm telling the truth now, honest" isn't much of a credible defence.

As for the tapping up thing, I dunno - Chelsea have got a lot of form for this sort of thing, haven't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    On the other hand, head-hunting and poaching is supposed to be governed by some rules, otherwise there's no incentive to a club to develop and train new talent.

And I think bribery is still seen as a Bad Thing, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    As for the tapping up thing, I dunno - Chelsea have got a lot of form for this sort of thing, haven't they?
    Yep. The Ashley Cole saga is still fresh in most peoples minds and Chelsea have a 3 point suspended sentence hanging over their heads.

Liverpool were also caught with their pants down over the purchase of Christian Ziegger (sp?) a few years ago. And there has been a lot of speculation of the Harry Kewel transfer too.

Good Thread!

Judging by Today's papers, I don't think the football world will be turn't upside down by this panorama programme.

Shame!

The FA should stamp down hard on this kind of thing

It gripes me that the richer bigger clubs are getting stronger by dodgy dealings, and that agents are getting a nice backhanders for de-stabalising youths and players, and creating transfers which wouldn't otherwise happen.

I think the biggest losers are the the youth academies, the local communities to the smaller regional clubs, the developement of grass roots english players, and ultimately the English National squad

Bit of a pessimistic picture? I don't think so. Take for example the youth academies:

* Why should a small local football club spend time, training resources and money on their youth academies. Investing 4/5 years into potential superstars - and having these bright prospects spirited away from them?
    * A decline in youth academies has a direct impact on the local communities. eg. Less intake in youths means more energetic teenagers out on the streets with nothing to do.
    etc
    etc
    etc

Thread Information