Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Idiot question about a dance move

Juju

Question Idiot question about a dance move

Bit of a stupid question really, but there's a move when the man holds up his hand, sort of like a traffic policeman, to indicate that the woman gets to take however long she wants to do her spin - what's it called please? And is it just used for spins, or can the woman do other stuff too? (Not that I'd dare.)

I only discovered it at Southport and, together with the person who explained it to me, I came to the conclusion that it's probably been tried on me before, only Dumb Ass here never twigged. Never doing lessons just keeps coming back to haunt me....

The Forum Legend

Re: Idiot question about a dance move

Sounds hideous! Another great-looking signal to use on the dance floor! Not!

If it's a spin, what's to stop you taking as long as you like over it, without the guy having to hold up his hand? Please feel free to vary the speed of your spins all the time. It's just more interest in the dance...

If it's a turn/return, and the lady decides to turn slowly (prefereably with a wiggle!), then I'll just wait for her to finish (and admire) - though, I'm aware that some guys won't!

And also, please feel free to do other stuff too. Especially if it involves wiggling!

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Juju View Post
    Bit of a stupid question really, but there's a move when the man holds up his hand, sort of like a traffic policeman, to indicate that the woman gets to take however long she wants to do her spin - what's it called please? And is it just used for spins, or can the woman do other stuff too? (Not that I'd dare.)
    That's a new one...

I only discovered it at Southport and, together with the person who explained it to me, I came to the conclusion that it's probably been tried on me before, only Dumb Ass here never twigged. Never doing lessons just keeps coming back to haunt me....
    Why are you dumb? If it's not clear, how could you be expected to understand it?

It sounds like the worst kind of signal, one that relies on you knowing the "secret code" before you can follow a move.

If I want a woman to take her time on a spin (well, a slow turn, actually), I just provide the space and time for her to do so. I certainly don't hold up my hand and expect my partner to know the Secret Handshake Signal or whatever.

Again, you're not dumb, signals are dumb.

Juju

Maybe I didn't explain it very well.... He had his hand in the same position as he would for a normal spin, but in a flat hand sorta shape. He didn't just stand there and suddenly signal to me. I'm making him sound awful, poor chap!

Juju

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp View Post
    Please feel free to vary the speed of your spins all the time. It's just more interest in the dance... And also, please feel free to do other stuff too. Especially if it involves wiggling!
    Hard to do when you haven't a great deal of confidence, but I'll try to be a little more so! Nothing ventured, etc.

but there's a move when the man holds up his hand, sort of like a traffic policeman, to indicate that the woman gets to take however long she wants to do her spin
    which hand? the one doing the leading, or the spare hand?

if it is the leading hand, then it sounds like what some men do to let the lady play.

if it is the spare hand, and his other hand is also raised to lead the turn, then he might simply be surrendering to your charms.

Blog Entries

Maybe I didn't explain it very well.... He had his hand in the same position as he would for a normal spin, but in a flat hand sorta shape.
    Assuming you mean "normal turn" , then the only "signal" to go slow is just allowing more space and time for the lady to do her thing if she so chooses. if she doesn't, then she doesn't.

I still don't think there's a "go slow" signal.

I'm making him sound awful, poor chap!
    He was probably just sleep-deprived.

Juju

Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    which hand? the one doing the leading, or the spare hand?

if it is the leading hand, then it sounds like what some men do to let the lady play.

if it is the spare hand, and his other hand is also raised to lead the turn, then he might simply be surrendering to your charms.
    Um, I think it was his left. Leading then.

Juju

You know, it's very sweet how you've all rushed to help me out so quickly. I'm impressed. Thank you!

The Forum Legend

You know, it's very sweet how you've all rushed to help me out so quickly. I'm impressed. Thank you!
    We like to think that we're useful. Occasionally...

TiggsTours

If it's a spin, what's to stop you taking as long as you like over it, without the guy having to hold up his hand? Please feel free to vary the speed of your spins all the time. It's just more interest in the dance...

Its your spin, and your opportunity to do your bit!

Signals for the man to "allow" you to do your bit, ugh! Get out there and burn your bra!

If it's a turn/return, and the lady decides to turn slowly (prefereably with a wiggle!), then I'll just wait for her to finish (and admire) - though, I'm aware that some guys won't!

And also, please feel free to do other stuff too. Especially if it involves wiggling!

Quote Originally Posted by TiggsTours View Post
    Get out there and burn your bra!
    We'll come and supervise to make sure you take it off correctly first.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    We'll come and supervise to make sure you take it off correctly first.
    And remember, it's important to give the lady time and space to take it off slowly.

Yanking is a no-no.

Quote Originally Posted by TiggsTours View Post
    Its your spin, and your opportunity to do your bit!
    Sorry, no!

The only way you're going to be able do this is to disconnect from the lead -- in which case you're not following

SpinDr.

A flat left hand in a move like the Push Spin is a fairly standard MJ indication that the leader is probably about to lead a free spin, where the woman spins without touching the man (as opposed to an assisted spin, where the woman turns under the man's hand). I'm not aware of any connotations that such a free spin is intended to take any longer than normal, as opposed to one not led off a flat hand.

In general, the man not offering his hand in a free spin is an indication that the woman could take extra time after the spin (or do an extra spin), while a reduced impetus in a free spin is an indication that the follower could do the spin slower.

Blog Entries

As a more general point, I would think that there's no such thing as an idiot question at all.

The idiot is the person that doesn't ask the question and as a result, does the wrong thing! So well done you for asking

x.

Juju

The reason I keep being self-deprecating is that I really know very little indeed! I just get on the dancefloor and hope for the best! Having said that, I learn lots of stuff from individuals that I dance with and it usually sinks in because it's tailored to me.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Yanking is a no-no.
    God forbid she should start bouncing, eh chaps?

God forbid she should start bouncing, eh chaps?
    There is obviously a very fine line between jiggling and bouncing but don't you worry. We'll be the judge of that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    There is obviously a very fine line between jiggling and bouncing but don't you worry. We'll be the judge of that.
    Well, I dunno if we can trust your judgement, I reckon the only way to be sure is to get objective recorded evidence, which I shall make freely available - for review purposes only - for a small fee barely covering expenses.

Anyway...
    The reason I keep being self-deprecating is that I really know very little indeed! I just get on the dancefloor and hope for the best! Having said that, I learn lots of stuff from individuals that I dance with and it usually sinks in because it's tailored to me.
    As a general principle, I think that applies to almost everyone on this forum, welcome to the club

Blog Entries

I used to be a self-deprecating stand up comedian, but I gave up 'cos I was no good at it!

Thread Information