Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Weekenders and Sleep don't Mix!

The Dashing Moderator

Weekenders and Sleep don't Mix!

After going on a few weekenders I'm still trying to work out the optimal mix of dancing and sleeping.

I want to catch the best dancers and the best music. But I also need to eat and be capable of checking out and driving home at the end of it all, and ideally be in a fit state to do some work later in the week.

I felt like a bit of a wuss at S****port when I gave up at the end of Dance Demon's set (around 09:15 on Sunday morning I think?), leaving the more hardcore dancers to dance for another hour or two.

When do other people sleep?
    Love dance, will travel

The Forum Legend

Re: Weekenders and Sleep don't Mix!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY View Post
    I felt like a bit of a wuss at S****port when I gave up at the end of Dance Demon's set (around 09:15 on Sunday morning I think?), leaving the more hardcore dancers to dance for another hour or two.
    Or 4! Managed to get back to the chalet at 1:15pm!

When do other people sleep?
    Had about 5 hours sleep on the weekend (and 4 on the Thursday before it too). Was quite tired while working last night. Not looking forward to the drive home from Aberdeen after working tonight (if there's anyone from Dundee who fancies going dancing in Aberdeen tonight, and keeping me awake on the way home, it'd be appreciated! ).

One thing I really don't like about weekenders is the havoc they play with my biorhythms.
    I'd like to see continous dancing from 10 a.m. to 3 a.m. when the evening would be definitively over until the next day. Most people couldn't manage to dance more than 17 hours out of 24 anyway, so this would mean that people's sleeping/resting times would be coordinated during the hours of darkness when it is most natural to sleep. (Whether they actually chose to sleep would of course be up to them...) And it would mean that you wouldn't have to wait up till 3 a.m. or whenever to get to dance with your favourites because that's when they've woken up.
    My best dancing is usually in the afternoons when I'm feeling rested and full of energy.
    I wa trying to sleep on Sunday evening (and couldn't) so I would have the energy to dance through the night. It's totally crazy.

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Don't feel like a wuss, David, I only came back to the Blues Room after having a rest in my chalet for a couple of hours - ok not technically sleeping, but not dancing

I went to bed about 4.30 on Friday night/Saturday morning and had about 5 hours I think, I had a couple of hours on Saturday evening before the cabarets and then another few hours on Sunday after I left the blues room about 11.30am. I was dj-ing for 3 hours in the main room on Saturday night and didn't dance much (apart from jiggling about at the decks) during that time, so won't have used up as much energy as you.

I had another hour or so sleep on Sunday evening before coming out to dance and then left Sunday/Monday about 4.30am as I didn't want to be too tired for the journey home.
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat View Post
    I'd like to see continous dancing from 10 a.m. to 3 a.m. when the evening would be definitively over until the next day.
    Seconded.

In general, I find that hallucinating from sleep deprivation is incompatible with good dancing.

Juju

I'd like to see continous dancing from 10 a.m. to 3 a.m. when the evening would be definitively over until the next day.
    Are you saying the music should stop at three? Are you crazy? You'd have hundreds of people going nuts! And I'd be one of them!

Quote Originally Posted by Juju View Post
    Are you saying the music should stop at three? Are you crazy? You'd have hundreds of people going nuts! And I'd be one of them!
    Start dancing earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Juju View Post

If you can't take the pace then go to bed, nobody is making you stay up. fcuking miserable people can't be ar$ed with whingers.

I got around 4 hours sleep all weekend. That was *MY* choice. If I'd wanted to go to bed that would've also been *MY* choice.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

One thing I really don't like about weekenders is the havoc they play with my biorhythms..
    One thing I don't like about weekenders is the endless posts of the form:
    • "Ooh, I only got 2 hours sleep all night "
    • "2 Hours? Blimey, I never got 10 minutes sleep all weekend"
    • "Hah! 10 minutes! You were lucky mate, I didn't even blink once for 72 hours straight!"

***, if you're tired, go to bed. This is not a complex concept. And it's not a "who can stay awake longest" competition. Dancing through the night doesn't make you a great dancer.

Grrrr.

The Dashing Moderator

I'd like to see continous dancing from 10 a.m. to 3 a.m. when the evening would be definitively over until the next day. ~SNIP~It's totally crazy.
    Logically, I agree with this.
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    In general, I find that hallucinating from sleep deprivation is incompatible with good dancing.
    ..and this..
    Quote Originally Posted by WittyBird View Post
    If you can't take the pace then go to bed, nobody is making you stay up.
    ..and this...
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Dancing through the night doesn't make you a great dancer.
    ..and this.

But illogically I had some of the best dances in the daylight hours of Sunday morning with several the folk who were left. I wasn't even that exhausted.

I did get some sleep at the weekend, several more hours than some folk, but I was wondering if anyone had tried, I dunno, going to sleep at 7pm, getting 8 hours sleep, then waking at 3am and staying up till 7pm the next evening. Would that work? Would it be cheating?
    Love dance, will travel

But illogically I had some of the best dances in the daylight hours of Sunday morning with several the folk who were left. I wasn't even that exhausted.
    Are you sure you weren't just hallucinating?!

Blog Entries

Seconded.

Yeh, but it could be quite funny for the rest of us to watch!

Quote Originally Posted by Wittybird
    If you can't take the pace then go to bed, nobody is making you stay up. fcuking miserable people can't be ar$ed with whingers.
    Oooh, ta, Wittybird. that's cheered everyone up!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidY
    Now you mention it, I had a couple of fab dances with KillingTime just before I went home. I got in the car at 6:45 a.m., but had to stop after a bit, I kept hitting that white line at the side of the motorway.

I'm not sure what the debate is about - if you want to stay up then do so. If not, go to bed. The setup of the weekend allows for either option. This weekend I tended to go out later in the evening (or return to the chalet for a break) and then stay through to the early hours. Yes, I was a wreck by Monday morning (and I would have done things a bit differently were it me driving home) but I did so because
    * the post 4 am dancing for me has a quality that I don't find elsewhere. It may be the effects of sleep deprivation preventing a realistic appraisal but that's irrelevant because it's how it makes me feel that counts
    * at a practical level I find the blues room uncomfortably crowded until about 2 or 3 am. If I want to be in there then I can't knock others for wanting the same thing but there's a finite amount of room
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by WittyBird View Post
    I got around 4 hours sleep all weekend. That was *MY* choice. If I'd wanted to go to bed that would've also been *MY* choice.

So let me get this right are you saying life is about choices

***, if you're tired, go to bed. This is not a complex concept. And it's not a "who can stay awake longest" competition. Dancing through the night doesn't make you a great dancer.

Grrrr.
    Too true

I didn't get much sleep this weekend (6hrs max.) but wow i'm paying for it now. I have no voice (due to singing at the top of my voice to most of the records) can't walk properly (due to wearing boots instead of my dance shoes) I had 10 hrs sleep last night and i'm going to have a nap in a while.

But i had the best time ever, I wouldn't want to take the choice away from people, do what you want to do.

Commercial Operator

This was my first Southport, and the sleep thing was an issue. I maybe slept 12 hrs all in, and most of those were grudgingly given into. I'm lucky in the sense that I've spent a long time on the road with the band, and I have the capability of falling asleep standing, if I have to, then enduring hours of awakeness: still finding what it takes to perform .

I don't know if it's a natural thing or if I've conditioned my body.

The most helpful thing I can say is little, often... 3 times 1 hr works better for me than 1 x 3hr.

The other thing I don't know is if this is usual... I can feel absolutely spent, then one dance, one song, one intense sharing and I'm energised for hrs again..

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

but had to stop after a bit, I kept hitting that white line at the side of the motorway.
    This does bring a serious debate forward. I hit the kerb as i neared home, it does pose the question of responsibility. So many of us are driving home after having little sleep, it's only time before one of us has a serious accident!

OK i'm tired with swollen glands, so not my usual cheery self.

One thing I don't like about weekenders is the endless posts of the form:
    • "Ooh, I only got 2 hours sleep all night "
    • "2 Hours? Blimey, I never got 10 minutes sleep all weekend"
    • "Hah! 10 minutes! You were lucky mate, I didn't even blink once for 72 hours straight!"

Grrrr.
    Oh yes, I get a bit fed up with this too. So I have a really straightforward policy now - I go to bed when I feel tired. I'll stay up dancing if I feel like it, but I won't (any longer) feel pressurised into staying up because I feel I have to.

I went to bed at 4:30 (I think) on Sat night when the latin room closed - I wasn't shattered, but I'd had such a nice time dancing in there most of the evening, I'd had a lovely (unexpected) tango as my last dance in there, and I had the choice of staying up because it was 'the done thing' or going to bed. I know other people stayed up much later, but I don't feel like I 'wimped out' or missed out.

I did stay up later on Sun night but because I wanted to and was still enjoying the dancing.

Its a dance weekend, not an endurance event.

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    I'm not sure what the debate is about - if you want to stay up then do so. If not, go to bed. The setup of the weekend allows for either option.
    I guess the problem isn't that people are dancing at 6am - it's that there's more people dancing at 6am than at 6pm. The setup of the weekender allows for either option, but they aren't equal options. If I stick to my normal sleeping patterns, I get less dancing.

Having said that, if folks are staying up till midday, maybe I should get up at 8am as normal and grab them for four hours dancing before they collapse.

I guess the problem isn't that people are dancing at 6am - it's that there's more people dancing at 6am than at 6pm. .

So where does this twoddle come from

If you had been there at 6am and 6pm you wouldn't be making that commnet

IMO the numbers were about equal, but just different people, I was there at 6am and 6pm on all the sessions maybe someone else who was there might have a different opinion?

i'm tired and grumpy, so I might have a nap before I type somthing I regret

Thread Information