Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Southport Sept 06,the aftermath.

Re: Southport Sept 06,the aftermath.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepman View Post
    I'm interested to know what the non Westies thought of me doing the WCS set at peak time on Sunday night.
    [...]
    I think there must have been a shortage of WCS leaders, as I got more requests to dance than ever before while I was behind the decks, but I couldn't leave my post.
    I had no problem doing my MJ thing during the time I was there, but then some people think I have a very west coast style to my dancing...

I think it should be repeated with proper notification, though if other people don't like it, maybe in the Latin room...

As a beginner westie I only had half a WCS dance with a total beginner just after the first WCS class – much easier to look good that way!
    Last edited by ducasi; 20th-September-2006 at 05:14 PM.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Commercial Operator

Hi everyone,
    Just to say that, over the weekend, John and I had lots of requests for more WCS music and particularly for a slot devoted exclusively to WCS! So... we are in consideration of allotting a time spot in the Dance Den/Mini Ballroom on each of the nights, say, for an hour or hour and a half to cater exclusively for WCS enthusiasts, together with the slot allocated exclusively for Tango/Ballroom!
    Any thoughts on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    Hi everyone,
    Just to say that, over the weekend, John and I had lots of requests for more WCS music and particularly for a slot devoted exclusively to WCS! So... we are in consideration of allotting a time spot in the Dance Den/Mini Ballroom on each of the nights, say, for an hour or hour and a half to cater exclusively for WCS enthusiasts, together with the slot allocated exclusively for Tango/Ballroom!
    Any thoughts on this?
    Yes - do it, but keep it in the blues room! It fitted so well in there because of the crossover in the styles of music, but might fit better at a slightly earlier time so that those who are still in the early learning stages don't feel like the only time they can practise is late at night. Also, if it's nice and early, it won't get on the nerves of the 'I wanna dance blues, why are all these random people in my way' crowd.

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Hi everyone,
    Any thoughts on this?
    Makes sense considering that the highest billed teachers at Southport are teaching WCS. So this gives the people that do the WCS classes a chance to practice what they have learnt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tessalicious
    Yes - do it, but keep it in the blues room!
    I too would prefer it in the blues room but i also feel that would upset a few non-westies.
    Last edited by Cruella; 20th-September-2006 at 05:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tessalicious View Post
    Yes - do it, but keep it in the blues room! It fitted so well in there because of the crossover in the styles of music ...

And that way the WCS folks won't feel ghettoised, and the MJ folks who like doing a bit of MJ to WCS music won't feel excluded.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp View Post
    No. You misunderstand. I wasn't asking for the recipe. I was asking for more cake....
    In that case, you'll have to go out shopping for me first, as I'm out of cake baking ingredients......

And then you'll just have to find someone to bake the cake for you!

So... we are in consideration of allotting a time spot in the Dance Den/Mini Ballroom on each of the nights, say, for an hour or hour and a half to cater exclusively for WCS enthusiasts, together with the slot allocated exclusively for Tango/Ballroom!
    Any thoughts on this?
    Keep it in the blues room, please! A lot of the WCS music is nice to do bluesy style dancing to, anyway.....

I do find it a bit strange that people were complaining about not enough WCS music, though...... I had lots of great WCS dances in the blues room during some of the 'normal' blues sets! And I did a few WCS dances in the main ballroom, too.

Commercial Operator

For the ignorant, can we have a list of 10 tracks that work only for WCS, and ten tracks that cross over so we all know the kinda thing we mean??

Thank you.

Hi everyone,
    Any thoughts on this?
    having a slot dedicated to WCS is a great idea but I concur with the others who've said to keep it in the blues room... may be a bit earlier / or end of afternoon.

It's true that a lot of music played in the blues is suitable for WCS as well but personaly during those dedicated slots I would also like to dance to some really upbeat and faster tracks - the kind you have more in the main room.
    Now I understand this might upset the people who don't do west coast, so it might require to use the dance den instead. That would be a shame though as obviously some of the WCS dancers might stay in the blues room...

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    welcome detomo

Were you with my freind easy tiger (Stacey) ?
    Thanks for the welcome

Dance with Stacey quite often around the south-west but didn't come up with her.

Was part of a group of 12 from the south, mostly from Exeter. One of them gave her a lift up and back

The Forum Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Little Monkey View Post
    Keep it in the blues room, please! A lot of the WCS music is nice to do bluesy style dancing to, anyway.....

I do find it a bit strange that people were complaining about not enough WCS music, though...... I had lots of great WCS dances in the blues room during some of the 'normal' blues sets! And I did a few WCS dances in the main ballroom, too.

I thought that there were plenty of WCS-able tracks over the weekend. Both in the blues room, and also during the day. I guess that people might want some modern stuff, rather than bluesy stuff though...

Registered User The Passion Harem's Avatar

Fantastic weekend.

Thank you all.

Did anyone actually dance in the Dance Den this year? I recall last year it was very sparsely populated. Was this fixed this time round?

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    Did anyone actually dance in the Dance Den this year? I recall last year it was very sparsely populated. Was this fixed this time round?
    I don't know about anything being 'fixed'. I was in it for a couple of hours for the tango dancing. Its OK being 'sparse' as many of us are fairly beginner tango/ballroom dancers and need space to move round the room for the progressive dances.

The only drawback for me was the timing, I'd have preferred the tango to be later on, maybe 10:30-11:30pm, I know there were a fair few people I saw dancing tango in the latin room who weren't there for the milonga in the Dance Den and I suspect it was because of the early time.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Monkey View Post

I thought that there were plenty of WCS-able tracks over the weekend. Both in the blues room, and also during the day. ...
    It can help, particularly for those less skilled in a particular dance form (or music), to have music flagged in advance for suitability for those dance forms.

This might be achieved lots of different ways to suit the circumstances, announcements, blocks of time, known patterns, colour coding on a display etc.;

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    Well on Friday night, I was scheduled to DJ for the ballroom dancers, after Toby who was DJing for Tango & Milonga. When I arrived there was only one couple. I played some ballroom for the same couple who stayed for about half an hour, then there was no one for the last half hour. I hung around in case anyone else turned up but no one did. I think the problem was that it was only advertised for Saturday & Sunday. Certainly on the Sunday night there were around a dozen couples dancing ballroom, and they appeared to enjoy themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Dance Demon View Post
    ...after Toby who was DJing for Tango & Milonga.
    I missed this.

Only got refused one dance all weekend , who said she was 'looking' for someone'

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    Only got refused one dance all weekend

WOW !!!

You did better than me, I havd quite a few refusals.

But I have discovered how to ask foxy and not get refused

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    But I have discovered how to ask foxy and not get refused
    Really!! Please share this talent.

Thread Information