Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Southport Sept 06,the aftermath.

Re: Southport Sept 06,the aftermath.

Part 1 of my Southport blog is now available for reading and comments...

Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Juju

Will there be piccies on the Jive addiction website, as I can't find where they might be.

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post

I'm thinking of getting a badge for the next on 'come and ask me to dance I don't bite'
    You make it, I'll wear it.

I agree with everything you've written

So please tell me why I have the reputation as the 'scary 1'
    You aint babe

Finally surfaced after much needed sleep. Wow, another great Southport and boy oh boy, were we lucky with the weather again, makes such a difference being able to dance outside and also have some airflow through the Blues Room.

Had some amazing dances and I think the DJ's excelled themselves this time, the music just gets better and better, as does the standard of dancers. Trampy, you know exactly how to keep us going through 9am.

As I became renamed "Dirty Bird" over the weekend, I shall enjoy living up to my new pseudonym (hopefully).

Look forward to seeing lots of you very soon.

Well I will get around to making a longer post about this on my blog but as a quick post on here I had a really good time . I didn't dance as much as I did last Southport but I was attempting to avoid making myself ill like I did last time and taking it easy to avoid further injuring myself. I think I maybe had three average dances at the whole weekend and those were more about my own confidence than anything else. Everything else was fantastic and I loved dancing with people I already knew and with new people.

I hate thanking people in particular because then I forget other people and then I feel really bad that I didn't mention just how good our dancer were too.

Lovely to meet Tess and have a couple of games of Magic with her along with two lovely dances in the Latin Quarter on Friday and a couple of dances in the Blues room (including a lovely follow dance). Loved the couple of fast dances I had with Dizzy in the main room on the Saturday, and for her putting up with my attempts at WCS. Thanks to Freya for all the fab dances we had and for looking at my arm when it was sore . The BBQ on Saturday was really good fun and thanks to that flat for use of their microwave, grill and stuff without which I'd be dying of food poisoning right now.

Humm... this is going to get long isn't it, with lots of "thank you" etc in so I'm going to splice that with to Little Monkey for not being able to dance for most of the weekend. Sorry to Drathzel and Cruella for strangely not having the confidence to ask them .

Anyway it was lovely to have Linny Lou over for dinner and a natter on Sunday. Monday morning in the Blues room was . Loved the dances I had with so many people including Lucy, Jivecat and Yliander (including the face pulling/four way dance with The Passion Harem and Doune). Loved the final two dances with the woman who I have no idea who she was. They were lovely .

(My thanking is nearly over, honest)! Thanks to the lovely Louisa for all of our lovely dances and putting up with me for the weekend . Thanks to the bunch of people at breakfast Monday morning (Marc, Rachel, Yliander, Trampy, Lucy and that guy I was never introduced to) for their enjoyable company and Wes for paying for it all . And TiggerBabe for the lift back, the enjoyable conversation and the best set I've ever heard in a car.

Quote Originally Posted by killingtime View Post
    Monday morning in the Blues room was . Loved the dances I had with so many people including Lucy, Jivecat and Yliander (including the face pulling/four way dance with The Passion Harem and Doune). Loved the final two dances with the woman who I have no idea who she was. They were lovely
    your welcome & thank you KT - those dances were an abosolute blast!!!

Quote Originally Posted by killingtime View Post
    Thanks to the bunch of people at breakfast Monday morning (Marc, Rachel, Yliander, Trampy, Lucy and that guy I was never introduced to) for their enjoyable company and Wes for paying for it all .
    breakfast was a blast! and the guy you weren't introduced to would be jiveaddicted.

Commercial Operator

OK, here goes....

Arrived Fri eve, later than planned. Met my two fantastic roomies, picked up a few hints and tips, changed... then off to experience my first Southport, and my first real experience of a blues room...

I arrive in the blues room for the Forum Reception, drop my bag on the sofa and hear the opening bars of "Rock Me": turn around and there is Cruella. What a start!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A slight tired, emotional moment on the Sun morning, aside... I was soaring the WHOLE weekend.

My first foray into blues taught me SOOOOOOOOOOOO much... the dancers around me gave me so much support, I just got more and more confident on the floor... it was amazing, truly amazing....
    Am lost, because I have so many people to thank for their contribution, but am determined not to be too luvvy about it (so... PM's on way, and U can slap me if I've missed U)

I really enjoyed DJing on the Sun afternoon... the set was slightly more intense than I intended, but I deliberately set out to play a different set within the confines of convention.... (moi?? pushing boundaries?!?!?!? ) It was a nerve-racking experience and, again, thank you for your support in that. You know, and I know, who you are.

My dare will get covered in the other thread, but respect goes to all darees: esp Tessa and Jammy. LM:

I know I'm jumping but I'm still tired and memories are flooding back to me...

My one negative is what it takes to get certain DJ's to play requests, but we'll cover that in another thread

I wrote on this forum, once upon a time, about a dance that changed my world. This weekend has just done the same...

Thanks to Wes and John, the DJs, the forumites and the dancers.

Once again, you have rocked my world.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceroc Jock View Post
    ... I really enjoyed DJing on the Sun afternoon... the set was slightly more intense than I intended, but I deliberately set out to play a different set within the confines of convention.... (moi?? pushing boundaries?!?!?!? ) It was a nerve-racking experience and, again, thank you for your support in that. You know, and I know, who you are. ...
    My favourite music and dancing always seem to be the afternoon blues room sets - exactly because they do tend to push the boundaries more and do not have to be restricted to strictly blues, latin or any particular genre. You never know what you're going to get next, it can be anything, and so many songs I've never heard before. Wonderful!!
    R. x

My weekend at Southport:

Good: dancing, highlights were mainly my first ever ballroom "freestyle" - thanks NigelS, TGNS and Brian for waltzes, the lovely guy who CeeCee mentioned earlier for an *amazing* quickstep (I have NO idea what my feet were doing, but it seemed to work), Neil (for patiently partnering me in the cha cha class) and MikeyR for cha cha in the Blues Room (sorry I'm fick at the reverse spot turns).

Weather

Dizzy was a fab chalet mate and she and I and King GD had lots of larfs (my pussy is missing you...)

Bad: Friday traffic. My back. My ballroom dancing.

Ugly: My ballroom dancing

And yet again we have the "elitist in the blues room" argument. Yawn.

There are some highlight about SP that I would like to add.

My best dance.......was with ChrisA in the main room on Sunday to a fast disco track, I was very surprised to see him there, and disco???? what a mover.

Followed by ........a wonderful dance with Ben in the main room

Lucky find.......Passion Harem we have danced before in Scotland but not like the dances we had this weekend.

Sexiest man ........has to go to CJ

Fancy dress......UnderPar where do you get your ideas from

Bar staff.......did very well even when there weren't enough staff on

Lynda......thank you for the wonderful BBQ

Taz, WB. and easy tiger for been lovely companions.

John and Wes for making it happen

Whats going on here then?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Msfab View Post
    Caption competition!

SF: "Well, she's got me foxed. See what you can do with her Witty the Wise"

Quote Originally Posted by Clive Long View Post
    Caption competition!

SF: "Well, she's got me foxed. See what you can do with her Witty the Wise"
    WB to SF , "please sir can i have you autograph"

or SF to WB "their her own you know"

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Must resist must resist must resist

(No, that's not a caption comp entry, just me muttering to myself).

Well I’ve slept, eaten and done the washing and my feet have gone quiet so here goes

I found this southport much more relaxing than June – it never seem quiet as heaving with people as June, plus I knew more people by sight this time which made things much more fun and I didn’t do any classes – decided that given missing most of Saturday would make it a freestyle weekend.

Arrived 4pm Saturday and was dancing by 4.30pm – Thanks Pretzelmeister for a fabulous first dance

Didn’t dance as much as I had wanted Saturday night due to accidentally hitting the stop button on my alarm rather than the snooze button but my Sunday morning dances were blissful so all was not lost – thank you to Pretzelmeister, Ceroc Jock, Dave Hancock, Jiveaddicted, Rafael and those who names I lack memory of

When Dance Demon was finally released from the deck Sunday morning I headed back to my chalet for a bite to eat and a sleep – which didn’t end up as long as I would have liked – got a call an hour after I went to sleep and wasn’t able to get back to sleep – so lazed around reading instead heading back to the Bluesroom where I pretty much stayed until closing – had some delightful moments in the Main room and just the occasional wander into the latin room

Having already packed ready for a early departure that changed – hung around and helped pack, which included the amazing spectacle of Rachel & Marc actually managing to get ALL that stuff into their car!!!

Breakfast after this feat was a chaotic laughter filled time which I didn't want to have end as that would have meant that the weekend was over Thanks for breakfast Wes & John!

Highlight of the Sunday afternoon had to be Ceroc Jock’s set – a welcome change from all the swing music and some rather unexpected tunes - Bad Name (remix): Bon Jovi ?! – half way through a dance with Paul F I realised what I was dancing to.

And there were the fun dances with Dirty D on the deck A companionable dinner with Claire and Jan

The fourway dance mentioned by Killingtime was a highlight of my Monday morning as was forehead dancing with Marc, plus all my dances with everyone else.

It was great to catch up with so many friends and to meet new people. Special thanks to drathzel for the lovely company, general silliness and dance see you soon beautiful. Pretzelmeister & William for predancing fun & games and silliness. And Little Monkey for having the ticket to sell to me in the first place

Also have to say a special thanks to Russ & Sarah who provided me with a lift and lovely company back to Reading

So in summary thank you to everyone I danced with, talked with, laughed with to my Scottish friends – miss you all – and hope to make it back up there before I depart for OZ next year

As requested by numerous people, my baked blueberry cheesecake and chocolate banana cake recipes are now posted in the cake thread.

The Forum Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Little Monkey View Post
    As requested by numerous people, my baked blueberry cheesecake and chocolate banana cake recipes are now posted in the cake thread.

No. You misunderstand. I wasn't asking for the recipe. I was asking for more cake....

Commercial Operator

I'm thinking of getting a badge for the next on 'come and ask me to dance I don't bite'
    Can I have one that says "Ask me to bite, else I'll dance with you"?

Had a great weekend, easy journeys both ways (thanks to Roger getting me up at 5:30 a.m. on Friday! ) fab company, great dancing, maybe not as much as usual, though I kept going through till 10:30 a.m. Sunday morning. I'm still completely knackered, and probably coming down with the weekender bug too I didn't need that to know how good a time I had.

I'm interested to know what the non Westies thought of me doing the WCS set at peak time on Sunday night. I reckon there were a couple of tracks that didn't go down too well for the MJ/blues dancers. Should it be repeated? Would it be better if it was indicated on the djing schedule? (Though maybe that should go on another thread, I will post the playlists soonish...)
    I think there must have been a shortage of WCS leaders, as I got more requests to dance than ever before while I was behind the decks, but I couldn't leave my post.

Greg

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Msfab View Post
    We were playing hair scrabble! Witty was giving me the 'e' i desperately needed. I was danc (k) after dancing with SF!

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepman View Post
    I'm interested to know what the non Westies thought of me doing the WCS set at peak time on Sunday night. I reckon there were a couple of tracks that didn't go down too well for the MJ/blues dancers. Should it be repeated? Would it be better if it was indicated on the djing schedule?
    I think there must have been a shortage of WCS leaders, as I got more requests to dance than ever before while I was behind the decks, but I couldn't leave my post.
    There definitely was a shortage of WCS leaders. Although I was pleased that I got a chance to practice my WCS leading skills.
    Should it be repeated - Yes please. If the non westies werent too impressed maybe it could be moved to the dance den? (not sure what the atmosphere would be like in either of the rooms though)

Thread Information