View Poll Results: Should rep comments be...

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • ... open to posting publically?

3 8.11%
  • ... open to posting with anonymity?

3 8.11%
  • ... private between the sender and receiver?

26 70.27%
  • ... I don't know, but do I get rep for clicking here?

5 13.51%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should rep comments be private?

Question Should rep comments be private?

Quote Originally Posted by Franck View Post
    [...] As a matter of etiquette, PM messages should remain private, and I will delete any post that purports to be a Private Message.
    Should anyone feel that they are getting abusive PM messages, they can forward them to myself so I can take appropriate action.

Rep messages are different, so open to posting publically. Anonymous rep messages can be identified by 'Silver Members', so if you care enough, you could pay the £15.00 and upgrade your membership [...]
    Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    How are they different? I see them in some ways as mini PMs. And while I don't think I would be too embarrassed by seeing any rep comments I've made posted, I don't think I'd be too happy either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Franck View Post
    [...]Well for one, rep. comments are not private (i.e. they are not called Private Comments), I also see them as more 'light-weight' than PMs.
    As I hadn't particularly stopped people quoting rep. comments, I felt it would be disingenuous to start now.
    Having said all the above, if enough people feel strongly that rep. comments should remain private from now on, I'll implement the new policy.
    While I have no real problem with people posting rep comments which do not identify the person who sent the rep, sometimes rep comments have personal messages that we might not like spread across the forum.

What do other people think?
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Re: Should rep comments be private?

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    While I have no real problem with people posting rep comments which do not identify the person who sent the rep, sometimes rep comments have personal messages that we might not like spread across the forum.

What do other people think?
    I wouldn't want my rep comments to be public, nor the ones I get from other people. A lot of them have personal jokes in them for one... and I prefer them to be private anyway. If people want to rep someone in public they can (and do) do it in a post.

Quote Originally Posted by Alice View Post
    If people want to rep someone in public they can (and do) do it in a post.

That's what I've done, and I see other people doing it too. Sorry Franck, can't see why you think they are fair game to be made public when PMs aren't. They serve much the same function.

Having said that, I don't think I've said anything in a rep comment that I would object to being published on the forum, but it would be a bit weird since I had assumed that comment would remain private. If rep comments are to considered fair game for publication, and the majority feel that they have an expectation of privacy, it needs to be advertised to all existing members and new members somehow.

Commercial Operator

Really not fussed. I have no secrets.

Stray
    None that I care to share online, anyway

Blog Entries

As long as everyone knows whether their comment will be private or public, I don't see why there would be a problem. However, if you wanted to change the system from private to public, I think it would be unfair and unwise to make all past comments public.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    That's what I've done, and I see other people doing it too. Sorry Franck, can't see why you think they are fair game to be made public when PMs aren't. They serve much the same function.
    No they dont - Private messages are exactly that - Mesages that are sent Privately. Rep comments are short comments relating to a specific public post.

The rule of thumb for EITHER should be; don't post anything to anyone you dont know well if you dont want it to become public.

For PMs, because they are labelled as Private, its simply rude to repeat them publically but if someone feels they are way out of order they surely will try to share them with others. Franck has already said he will stop this when it happens, as he has in the past.

Rep Comments are throw away comments and similar to shouting at someone in a room in response to something they said - who cares if that is overheard?

Just looking down my received rep comments - I don't think any of them would actually make sense to someone else without context - with context they're basically "I liked your post enough to take the time to rep you"

Be Well,
    Christopher

The Forum Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    No they dont - Private messages are exactly that - Mesages that are sent Privately. Rep comments are short comments relating to a specific public post.

Rep Comments are throw away comments and similar to shouting at someone in a room in response to something they said - who cares if that is overheard?
    Sorry Scathe. I tend to disagree here....

They aren't similar to shouting in a room. They are made privately, with only the person that they are made to (and the moderators) being able to see them. There is a 'privacy by implication' thing going on here. When you send rep, you make the decision to send something to the person in a private way. If you post a reply, that would be anagalous to the 'shouting across a room' idea.

They may be made in response to a specific public post, but done privately. By your reasoning, if I sent a PM in response to a specific public post, then the contents of the PM should be allowed to be made public?

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp View Post
    Sorry Scathe. I tend to disagree here....

They aren't similar to shouting in a room. They are made privately, with only the person that they are made to (and the moderators) being able to see them. There is a 'privacy by implication' thing going on here. When you send rep, you make the decision to send something to the person in a private way. If you post a reply, that would be anagalous to the 'shouting across a room' idea.
    More or less what I was gonig to say in response! If rep comments were to be shared, they would already be in the public domain, for example by appearing on the persons profile. Someone actually has to make the effort to copy and paste them.

The public aspect is when someone sends rep, then posts on the relevant thread "have some rep for that excellent observation old thing" or some such sycophantic nonsense...

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post

(me too!)

I think any 1-to-1 communications, by definition, should be assumed to be private communications by default.

On the other hand, any e-communication is stored forever and can be used against you. As many City employees have found recently (anyone remember Claire Swires?)

I had a quick squint at my rep messages - and none in either direction seem to be terribly incriminating.

However, I had thought that they were reasonably private. If I had thought about I might figure that moderators could if necessary see them , I don't think that often ( particularly at work - where most of my posting is from), and even if I do, I don't think they would be terribly interesting to anyone apart from the recipient or me.

I suppose I will just reach my PM limit more quickly if I want definite privacy.

Cheers Whitetiger

None of my rep messages either given or received are so private that they need hidden.

however, I don't see any reason why they should be made public. If someone makes a great post for which I feel public admiration should be given I'll rep them in private and then in the thread say something like "Great post.. rep on it's way" or the ilk

besides. i got reps recently from some people who said

"Friends are not scared to tell you difficult truths.. even if it means risking the friendship." Thank u! I had this prob not long ago - but it wasnt not seen the same by my friend! Glad im not alone on it!"

and

"You come over pretty lovable on the forum. NB I'm too old for you!!! x"

now.. the people that wrote those probably didn't want to be made public (and I removed their names to ensure they were before I copied those here)

so my vote.. keep them private.

An Eclectic Toaster

The rule of thumb for EITHER should be; don't post anything to anyone you dont know well if you dont want it to become public.

For PMs, because they are labelled as Private, its simply rude to repeat them publically but if someone feels they are way out of order they surely will try to share them with others. Franck has already said he will stop this when it happens, as he has in the past.
    Tend to agree with ducasi. Rep comments are just a subset of the Forum's 121 communication mechanisms, along with PMs and other stuff (about 6 other methods - Skype, MSN etc?). Having had a neg rep comment posted publically (with my name attached at the time IIRC - it's been edited out since), I veer towards treating them in the same way as PMs.

However we might lose some potentially great "Toys out the pram" moments from our most precious Forumites. I just vote for consistency.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart M View Post
    However we might lose some potentially great "Toys out the pram" moments from our most precious Forumites. I just vote for consistency.
    I vote for "Toys out the pram"

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp View Post
    By your reasoning, if I sent a PM in response to a specific public post, then the contents of the PM should be allowed to be made public?
    oooh thats too much of a stretch. Whilst I said comments do not need to be kept private because they are specific to a post it doesnt follow that Private messages should be anything other than private.

Anyway, ive changed my mind and agree with you all. Especially considering the rep I just sent to StuartM - wouldnt want THAT public

What about having an option to make the rep private or public? You could have them private as a default but occasionally it might be nice to publicise it..

The Aussie forum has recently introduced a bank where you can buy "gifts" and give them to people. The gifts then show up as little icons on the person's profile (the bit that appears next to the posts).. and if you scroll over them you can read the message that came with it.

The giver can choose whether to make the gifts private or public though Something like that might work for rep comments...

An Eclectic Toaster

I vote for "Toys out the pram"
    Tempting, I agree.
    Anyway, ive changed my mind and agree with you all.
    Wishy-washy git. Should have Charlie Brown as your avatar...
    Especially considering the rep I just sent to StuartM - wouldnt want THAT public
    Wild marjoram, lavender, olive or linseed?

Thanks, though. You've just given me an idea. Mwahahaha...

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alice View Post
    What about having an option to make the rep private or public? You could have them private as a default but occasionally it might be nice to publicise it..

The Aussie forum has recently introduced a bank where you can buy "gifts" and give them to people. The gifts then show up as little icons on the person's profile (the bit that appears next to the posts).. and if you scroll over them you can read the message that came with it.

The giver can choose whether to make the gifts private or public though Something like that might work for rep comments...
    sounds way too complicated for anyone to care

Meglio del Cioccolato Demo

Can we just have a text based forum then?

Quote Originally Posted by azande View Post
    Can we just have a text based forum then?
    No way I enjoy smiling too much

Whitetiger

9000 threads and we are deciding now

Thread Information