Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: South Kensington or Marylebone Chimes

Re: South Kensington or Marylebone Chimes

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Hmmm.... Gatwick's actually a fair way from London proper.

From the Gatwick Express website, it looks like the last train to Gatwick is just after midnight from Victoria. As Victoria is only 2 tube stops from South Ken, I reckon Casbah's your best bet in London.
    There is no last train to Gatwick, as long as you're not dead set on the Gatwick express (see Twirly's post).

From either Cricklewood or Victoria (different) direct trains to Gatwick are never less than hourly through the night.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    really
    To get to Cricklewood, would mean a bus to Brighton Station..
    I assumed driving as far as a suitable station. One option would be to drive as far as Three Bridges (nr Crawley), or Gatwick ( assuming the bad congestion was though the London area ) - best one of the stations with a full 24hr service in any case.

Quote Originally Posted by under par View Post
    I don't know which Cricklewood you are talking about!!! ...

A train from Brighton arrives at Victoria or Waterloo... then its tube to somewhere across town to Kings X then train again.

And just how many trains are there returning fron YOUR Cricklewood at 0230 in the morning to Brighton??
    There is the 02:38 from Cricklewood, though you'd have to wait around for an hour at an interchange station somewhere (because Brighton doesn't have a full 24hr service).

ESG covered the "ThamesLink", no tube, no Victoria, no Waterloo bit. At certain times trains even run direct to Brighton.

Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post
    There is no last train to Gatwick, as long as you're not dead set on the Gatwick express (see Twirly's post).

From either Cricklewood or Victoria (different) direct trains to Gatwick are never less than hourly through the night.
    I assumed driving as far as a suitable station. One option would be to drive as far as Three Bridges (nr Crawley), or Gatwick ( assuming the bad congestion was though the London area ) - best one of the stations with a full 24hr service in any case.

There is the 02:38 from Cricklewood, though you'd have to wait around for an hour at an interchange station somewhere (because Brighton doesn't have a full 24hr service).

ESG covered the "ThamesLink", no tube, no Victoria, no Waterloo bit. At certain times trains even run direct to Brighton.
    Do you work for BR

Why on earth would I want to go to Three Bridges or even Crawley it would only make the journey worse - I like Ashtons but not that much

The only place I would contemplate going to by train would be the Cashbah, Brighton to Victoria and a tube to South Ken, it finishes early enough to get the last train back to Brighton ............ but it is just as easy to get there by car

Well, have you been to Brighton lately ? You seem to have avoided that question

Strange when people come to Brighton they always seem to want to stay the night

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Do you work for BR
    No, I think the train system sucks in so many ways (particularly anything run by the 'First' bus company).

It doesn't however follow that the option should be dismissed based on inadequate information or misunderstandings. I think it probably doesn't apply to you, but the thread does seem to show some level of misunderstandings on what is available.

Why on earth would I want to go to Three Bridges or even Crawley it would only make the journey worse - I like Ashtons but not that much
    To avoid driving though the London area, while not being limited by last trains. The time on the train isn't dead time, or require the maintenance of alertness for safe driving.

The only place I would contemplate going to by train would be the Cashbah, Brighton to Victoria and a tube to South Ken, it finishes early enough to get the last train back to Brighton ............ but it is just as easy to get there by car
    Fair enough. Personally I could get towards an hours more freestyle by going to Ashtons and still get the last train to Brighton. Given a strong reason to stay until the end the cost would be around 1:1 extra freestyle to waiting around at a suitable interchange railway station.

Well, have you been to Brighton lately ? You seem to have avoided that question
    By the way, how often to you come to Brighton we have lots going on here too AND on the day mentioned we have pre comp BritRock at Hove Town Hall
    Sorry, I missed the question. I'm not sure it's relevant, but not for years, and at multi-year intervals.
    BTW in case anyone is thinking of Ashton's that weekend - According to Ceroc London Ashtons doesn't appear to be on that weekend

I agree therefore the BritRock ball (and the 1am finish) is a nice option for that day from London, (even if limited to public transport).

Quote Originally Posted by frodo View Post
    ....I agree therefore the BritRock ball (and the 1am finish) is a nice option for that day from London, (even if limited to public transport).
    Some Brighton buses run nearly all night and BritRock is 5mins walk away from a main line station, the last train from Brighton to Victoria is fine as well.

Unfortunately the last train from Brighton to Victoria is what we call the 'milk train' which is (I think) about 3am and it is full of drunks and other undesireables - and it stops at most of the stations. OR the regular last train is at Midnight, which means we would have to leave Ashtons (to be safe) at 11:15 the latest

Thank you for the 'argument' but if you don't live in Brighton and dance regularly in London, you can't really comment. The fact that most of the people attending BritRock are staying overnight really says something.

BTW I will be at Woking on the 14th October but I will be at the night before dance

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Sadly I won't be able to give a report on the Casbah tonight - am too tired to go. Have had a headache all day and feel very achey... hope I'm not sickening for something.

There's a bottle of wine and a nice comfy chair waiting for me at home instead...

Another time.

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    Have had a headache all day and feel very achey... hope I'm not sickening for something. .
    Yup.. no point dancing your self ill.. I prescribe 20cc's of TLC to be washed down with that bottle of wine, a nice soppy Rom Com on DVD and a quiet night

I was really looking forward to being in London this weekend and going to Casbah and it's not on

Chimes is friendly enough, but hardly anyone seems to turn up

Thread Information