Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Private Lessons

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Private Lessons

In a few weekes when moneys abit less tight, im considering getting private dance lessons a few hours a week.

Anyone else had private lessons? What did you make of them and were they worth the money?

Also what should be looked for in a private tutor?

Re: Private Lessons

I've had 2 so far, one last summer with Jordan after just a few wcs classes, the other in april with Robert Royston.

Both of them transformed my dancing, although I had a very, very steep and painful learning curve after the first one. But I certainly don't regret it, as they've both changed my dancing and my understanding of the dance no end. I've chosen leader teachers in both instances because I wanted to work on connection and how I feel as a (wcs) follow, but I will soon have a private with a follow teacher for styling (you've guessed it'll be Tatiana ).

I chose Jordan because he was the first pro I came accross, and now I will have other privates with him at some point because I believe his technique and teaching are amazingly sharp, and he is also such an inspiring dancer.

I chose Robert after attending a few classes at Weston, because he can explain the mecanics of dance and body movement in a way that I had never come accross before . That suits my scientific brain and my need to understand the theory behind the movement.

I am considering a private with Kyle at some point, because amongs all the pros I have seen I admire his style the most, and having had one dance with him I thought he was the best pro I danced with (or the most compatible with me for now).

So what I'm looking for in a private is technique and inspiration.

However I found that it takes me several months of dancing (also because there's little opportunity for me to practice here) to really absorb all the points that were raised and fix some of them (I suspect a lifetime wouldn't enough to fix all of them ).

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

How I would love a private lesson with Jordan and Tatiana. If only they were based in Bristol.

Quote Originally Posted by woodface View Post
    How I would love a private lesson with Jordan and Tatiana. If only they were based in Bristol.

Why ? I thought you didn't wcs ?

In an MJ context, the top of my list is Amir (well I have a strong biais towards jango / tango too ) as he is able to teach and explain things in a unique way. I suspect David B wouldn't be far either, although I have never been taught by him yet (but this will be fixed in just a month).

Mind you, for some strange reason my knowledge of the top wcs teachers is much greater than that of the top MJ teachers.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caro View Post
    Why ? I thought you didn't wcs ?

In an MJ context, the top of my list is Amir (well I have a strong biais towards jango / tango too ) as he is able to teach and explain things in a unique way. I suspect David B wouldn't be far either, although I have never been taught by him yet (but this will be fixed in just a month).

Mind you, for some strange reason my knowledge of the top wcs teachers is much greater than that of the top MJ teachers.
    Would like to do WCS. What a way to start learning. A few months of weekly privates with J&T. Still guess I should try and get my MJ up to an acceptable level before learning a new dance.

Was thinking Amir as he has a good rep. I have never been fortunate to see him dance, but have a feeling his style would be different to what I want to achive. Will have to go to some of his classes to find out.

I've been thinking a lot about taking private lessons to improve my MJ. I don't have such a strong desire to do private lessons for WCS, but if I begin to get more into it, I'll probably consider it.

One of the problems is that the particular teachers we (I'm dragging FH into it too) would like to learn more from are not based in Scotland, so we'd either have to travel south, or wait until they are next in Scotland.

Anyway, I've had one private lesson before, when I was just beginning my Ceroc career. I thought it was very useful. In this case the teacher approached me and made me a good offer. (Which makes me wonder if maybe a private or two in WCS might also be useful to me now.)

As I say, I think we've already decided who we'd like private MJ lessons from, but in deciding, we considered the teacher's style of dance, quality of teaching, and general attitude to see if they were compatible with us.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

out of interest, who do you think you would want to do private lessons with?

Anyone make any suggestions for teachers in the South West?

Why not?

if I had the money perhaps I would find a couple of private lessons would benefit me greatly. I find I can't easily grasp the moves in class time and I don't like holding other people back, but in a one to one situation then any points I didn't understand could be explained in greater detail.

As it happens I'm not in a financial nor physical state to do private lessons at the moment , I've never seen anyone offer private lessons and don't know how one would going about booking private lessons.

I think , however, if your serious about your dancing as the previous posters on this thread definitely seem to be then why not. Go for it! It can only make you a better dancer in the long run.

Me? I'll stick to my methodical snail like progression for the time being

Don't want to say as they read this forum and I think it would be better to approach them privately, rather than here.

Suffice to say, it's someone well respected within the community.

I hear Brighton's not too far from Bath...
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

I don't feel a desire to have private lessons on a regular basis (but I'm not looking to compete, and am not as frequent a dancer as many on here), but I've been thinking I'd like to do one when I go to Camber in September, if they're on offer. I think I'd benefit hugely, even from one session.

WF - does it have to be one of the "greats"? Weren't you admiring someone's teaching who runs classes near you on another thread? If you admire them, ask whether they do them and what it would cost. It might be a bit less expensive - then go for one of the "greats" later on maybe?

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    I don't feel a desire to have private lessons on a regular basis (but I'm not looking to compete, and am not as frequent a dancer as many on here), but I've been thinking I'd like to do one when I go to Camber in September, if they're on offer. I think I'd benefit hugely, even from one session.

WF - does it have to be one of the "greats"? Weren't you admiring someone's teaching who runs classes near you on another thread? If you admire them, ask whether they do them and what it would cost. It might be a bit less expensive - then go for one of the "greats" later on maybe?
    Was thinking that. Richard (don't know surname) has a good style and is a great teacher. Would like to see what all the fuss is about with the others. Someone has mentioned 'H' and Viktor.

Any clips of either of these dancing?

Was thinking that. Richard (don't know surname) has a good style and is a great teacher. Would like to see what all the fuss is about with the others. Someone has mentioned 'H' and Viktor.

Any clips of either of these dancing?
    Rather than video clips to judge - why not do a workshop that they are teaching first? Then you get to experience the teaching style first-hand and see if it suits you without shelling out first. You could also make a personal approach at the end of the class and talk to them about their availability/charges etc. And see if they think they can help you too - since you can show them how you dance.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    Rather than video clips to judge - why not do a workshop that they are teaching first? Then you get to experience the teaching style first-hand and see if it suits you without shelling out first. You could also make a personal approach at the end of the class and talk to them about their availability/charges etc. And see if they think they can help you too - since you can show them how you dance.
    Thats a good idea.

Dont want to travel too far though.

Thats a good idea.

Dont want to travel too far though.
    Fusspot!

The classes I've seen taught by Nelson Rose in Exeter have generally been excellent (the aerials class was too easy for us to find interesting, but that was more our problem than his). From his teaching style, I think he'd be great for privates, even if (as I think likely here) his particular dance style isn't something you want to emulate.

You might also find Mark Wilson (Cardiff) to be good - he is very inventive, great hip-hop/robotics dancer, and has won a few showcase titles. And he's a really nice guy too.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin View Post
    The classes I've seen taught by Nelson Rose in Exeter have generally been excellent (the aerials class was too easy for us to find interesting, but that was more our problem than his). From his teaching style, I think he'd be great for privates, even if (as I think likely here) his particular dance style isn't something you want to emulate.

You might also find Mark Wilson (Cardiff) to be good - he is very inventive, great hip-hop/robotics dancer, and has won a few showcase titles. And he's a really nice guy too.

Was Mark Wilson in the showcase at ceroc Champs this year?

I have had several privates over the years, in different styles. All have been money well spent, and all have taken a lot of subsequent effort to incorporate lessons learned into my dancing. (After one particular lesson I left the room virtually unable to walk normally, let alone dance, because there was so much information to try and digest/apply).

Before spending your hard-earned, consider why you want the lesson and what you're hoping to achieve. There is little point going to some fabulous dancer/teacher and paying a lot of money and then saying "teach me something/anything".

This will also affect your choice of teacher. Are you hoping to learn something of their style, or technique, or looking to get coaching towards a particular objective, eg; a competition, or musicality, or general improvement in a particular dance style? As has been suggested, watch them dance, go to some of their classes/workshops and get a feel for what their teaching style is like - you may find you don't like it. I had a conversation with someone last night about one particular teacher, whom I hold in the highest regard, yet my friend doesn't care for, because of their very pernickity, incisive teaching. Whereas my friend likes things a little more relaxed and light-hearted, I thrive on the technical details.

When you do have a lesson, make sure to take comprehensive, legible notes or ask if you can make a video note, because you will never remember everything that is said and while some things will make an instant difference, some of it will take weeks before you digest it and can apply it.

But to answer your question simply, yes, a good private is worth every penny.

Was Mark Wilson in the showcase at ceroc Champs this year?

Yes, quite early in the day. I think his partner froze a wee bit at the start of the routine and that put them off their stride for the remainder.

As to privates, I have had a 1:1 with Amir and been part of a group private with Jordan and a separate group private with Tatiana. I took the Amir private to be able to gauge my progress at Jango basics after attending his monthly workshops for a few months. He was able to provide a number of pointers that I feel have improved my leading ability. The group privates were very different in feel - cheaper, obviously but with less personal attention though Jordan did do a brief critique of all of us involved as well as provide some useful info on general WCS basics. Tatiana had a different focus and showed us a couple of useful variations and how to mix up our step patterns.

I will definitely look at doing more privates but I would say don't rush into too many at once (weekly privates for instance...) as you may not be able to take on board everything and put it into practice before you are on to the next lesson.

Amir Giles and Nigel Anderson are recomended a lot on this forum. Both are in London though.

Andy McGregor posted somewhere that you should never pay money to someone who says they will teach you moves, but you should pay someone who promises to teach you how to move.

Before you spend your money - decide exactly what you want from your private - maybe an area of your dance you want to improve or somethng new to add to your style - then choose the teacher you know can help you in that area.

Nelson Rose, is very technical and a good all rounder.

H (Humphrey) is good on body movements

Viktor incorporates lots of salsa in his dancing and has some complicated moves he could share.

Not so sure about Mark - his cabarets are awesome, but not sure where his strengths are in teaching

James (as in James & Bridget) very good at styling and improvisation

not sure who else is in and about your area

Or you could save your 'private' money and have privates at weekenders.

By the way, I saw Robert Cordoba (WCS God) teaching how to spin your partner (cork screw spins etc) to James Geary a few years ago - and James is a great dancer and teacher, yet he could still learn from Robert (Robert Cordoba will be at Southport in September)

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Thread Information