Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scottish Champs 2006, The aftermath

Commercial Operator

Re: Scottish Champs 2006, The aftermath

Well done Scot and all the crew at the Scottish Competition .

What a great crowd , what a great event , what great organisation . And the dancing was of the highest quality too. It was also great to see so many people supporting this event from the south of the border. This was my first time at the Scottish competition, I will be back

So, anyone else got any photos, then?

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

What a fab weekend

I had a great time on Friday at the pre-comp party, some amazing dancing (think I fell in love with Simon R sorry, Nicole ). Sharing a hotel with the Nottingham crew and Mr and Mrs Under Par, great post-party-pre comp fun!
    The comp day was brilliant, although the time just seemed to run away. Credit to Scot for keeping everything to time Congrats to all the winners and to everyone who took part, with a wee special mention to Dazzler for doing so well in his first comp after only 4 months dancing
    Had a great time dj-ing at night, although when I first started, after the results, it was a bit daunting to see most people running out of the hall
    Thankfully they did come back (so did Franck, with some pizza and Carol with a glass of champagne both essential dj-ing requirements)

An amazing amount of money raised at the Champs again, looking forward to next year already

It was great to see some of our visitors at the Focus workshop and tea-dance, yesterday, my only disappointment, not getting a dance with the Champion DD, but I'll make up for that at Southport

And I do hope someone took pictures of Under Par leading Franck - priceless
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggerbabe View Post
    And I do hope someone took pictures of Under Par leading Franck - priceless
    Your wish is my command!

http://www.cerocscotland.com/photopo...ry.php?cat=506

Funniest thing I've seen in a very long time!

Thoroughly enjoyed this weekend - its my favourite of my 3 visits to the Champs - a lot of that down to my wonderful partner Stuart.

Loved the Blues room and even though I did venture through to the main hall and heard wonderful sounds from Tiggerbabe - it was much too hot and busy through there - so I spent my night listening to DD's fab music and having some lovely dances - ones that stick out are the ones I had with CJ, MikeyR and JohnS. Fantastic guys. And was lovely to see Andy from Aberdeen get into the Blues so quickly.

Stirling was fab too (but it always is). Got to say thank you to Under Par for the most dramatic dance I've ever had to date. Such a great lead and ever so forgiving of my lack of Tangoish experience, but I had a dream of a dance - so thanks very much.

In fact - I didn't have one bad dance the whole weekend, so thanks to all that I did get around to stealing dances from.

Got to say in the comps, I couldn't take my eyes of Mr Fitz and his beautiful partner Louise - they were spot on with every move and a delight to watch - well done guys!

And big thanks to Avril and Bill for giving us such a performance in the reverse roles! Knew you'd got that one in the bag by the amount of judges that were watching you at one point (they looked like they were thoroughly enjoying watching you too!)

Huge thanks to Angie and Fran and their helpers (well Scot did say they did all the work ) Fantastic event once again. Much appreciate all your effort

Well done Shirley and Darren !!!

I wonder do any of the forum members think it a little unfair that there was not a seniors category at this year's champs event, as many other dance forms have senior competition categories.
    My friends Moira and the late Jimmy McDonald were going to compete in what they thought was a seniors category this year only for Moira to find there was none; she did compete with Colin in the reverse role however.
    Is it fair, I wonder, that 50/60 year old dancers are expected to compete against 20/30 year olds, if I were competing and saw that young Jamie or Paul (Glasgow taxi dancers) were in the line up, I'd be as well to put my coat on and go home!
    So, come on organisers, give it a thought for next year, you may be surprised at how many "old farts" like me may want to compete on a level playing field.

Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Doolan View Post
    Is it fair, I wonder, that 50/60 year old dancers are expected to compete against 20/30 year olds, if I were competing and saw that young Jamie or Paul (Glasgow taxi dancers) were in the line up, I'd be as well to put my coat on and go home!
    I think you'll find that a lot of 'old farts' have competed against people half their age, and beaten them!

Ok, not wanting to insult anyone by calling them 'old farts', but amongst others, Sheepman, John & Hazel and Dance Demon have all competed in categories such as intermediate, DWAS and showcase, and have won or been placed in the top 3.........

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Little Monkey View Post
    I think you'll find that a lot of 'old farts' have competed against people half their age, and beaten them!

Ok, not wanting to insult anyone by calling them 'old farts', but amongst others, Sheepman, John & Hazel and Dance Demon have all competed in categories such as intermediate, DWAS and showcase, and have won or been placed in the top 3.........

Not to mention that better than chocolate old fart Bill foreman..... ..however it is a good idea and with the demise of the double trouble section, a seniors section could perhaps take it's place. I'm sure Scot would give it some consideration for next year.

more photos on my photo albums im not sure if this link works

http://www.cerocscotland.com/photopo...ry.php?cat=565

Quote Originally Posted by Dance Demon View Post
    Not to mention that better than chocolate old fart Bill foreman..... ..
    Of course! How could I forget BTC Bill?

Quote Originally Posted by Dance Demon View Post
    Not to mention that better than chocolate old fart Bill foreman..... ..however it is a good idea and with the demise of the double trouble section, a seniors section could perhaps take it's place. I'm sure Scot would give it some consideration for next year.
    You're not seriously telling us that you'd qualify for the seniors Dance Demon No, I didn't think so

David & I had a wonderful trip and were really proud to get placed. The final was high quality, Simon & Nicole of course setting the highest standard. But Jenny & Danny and Sarah & Mike were also very strong judging by what I saw of them practicing. Sarah where did all that speed suddenly come from amazing. I'm not sure the name of the other couple were but the lady came to give me a big hug after the final - how lovely

I was particularly impressed with the winning showcase - a piece of theatre in its own right.

In particular we loved the venue & the floor and that the competition ran to time. Also the overwhelming sense of fun And on Sunday we had the opportunity to explore some of your capital city - a very beautiful place.

Anita

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Well done Dance Demon - further proof that the title is well deserved

Great event - I quite enjoyed my quick return to dancing, first time in at least 4 months...in fact the last time was Jango, but i have no concept of the passage of time . Nice to meet Yliander, briefly, sorry for the dancing ... Danielle again - who somehow managed to make theTramp look good in reverse roles . Only got a hello out to Underpar and didnt really speak to anyone else as we didnt stay too long and missed the awards - still I love you all Lots of quality Scottish talent this year - well done Mr.Fitz, John and Hazel, Skippy, Bill and Avril etc...

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Anita View Post
    You're not seriously telling us that you'd qualify for the seniors Dance Demon No, I didn't think so
    Nope I've still got two years to go Anita, then I officially become an "old fart".....

Jeez DD, are you 10 years younger than me? you must have had a hard life

See you Thursday at R'glen

Rgds,
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyr View Post
    Well done Scot and all the crew at the Scottish Competition .

What a great crowd , what a great event , what great organisation . And the dancing was of the highest quality too. It was also great to see so many people supporting this event from the south of the border. This was my first time at the Scottish competition, I will be back
    Me too, all that! 1st event I ever attended which ran on time... Many thanks to you and Sarah for your friendliness and advice, and what a blinding performance in the Open!

I was pleased to get to the Intermediate semis, but I know my amazing partner Wonder woman could have done much better with a more experienced guy. Thanks for giving me a go, I learned so much from you in just a few hours.

I met loads of lovely people. Some comp highlights for me were: dancing with Hazel in the Lucky Dip , Scot showcasing my purple trousers; meeting Friendly Franck, Catherine helping me invent some new moves (which I promptly forgot of course) and a lovely last dance in the blues room; and Anne and Suzanne looking after me Saturday night

Really pleased I went to the Stirling Tea dance, great to just chill after the intense comp day. Should have realised you were probably all Forumites, but at least I can now put a face to Firefly, Piglet, ClareS, CMS, LittleEm and Tiggerbabe! Thanks for the lovely dances and the welcomes. McJester, I'll ask you to dance next time.

Stayed in Edinburgh Monday, had surprise reunion with friends I hadn't seen for nearly 20 years, so all a bit overwhelming really!!

Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggerbabe View Post
    with a wee special mention to Dazzler for doing so well in his first comp after only 4 months dancing
    he was amazing to watch. I'm shockingly jealous of his abilities.

Bristol and sometimes on another planet entirely

Quote Originally Posted by Little Monkey View Post

I would probably be included in the 'old farts' category, but have won 3 dwas titles and been a finalist on more than one occasion against ladies and men (or should that be girls and boys ?) half my age, so don't put us out to pasture just yet ! age is a state of mind and ATTITUDE.

ps: BIG THANK YOU to the lovely Mr. Sheepman for getting me to the final of the lucky dip.

Quote Originally Posted by Easter Bunny View Post
    I would probably be included in the 'old farts' category, but have won 3 dwas titles and been a finalist on more than one occasion against ladies and men (or should that be girls and boys ?) half my age, so don't put us out to pasture just yet ! age is a state of mind and ATTITUDE.
    I agree. I would qualify for some seniors categories, but (mostly) don't feel old at all. Just humbled by better dancers of any age.

I've just started working with a partner for Britrock who actually is half my age, and we seem very well matched. Almost identical injuries! Not sure what that says about a level playing field. OTOH, my potential seniors partner is keeping a low profile at the moment, aches and pains you know...

Perhaps there should be a category for those just feeling a bit under par, of whatever age. Doctors note of infirmity required. No more that 3 airsteps per track. Or maybe just no more than 3 steps in total...

Patrick

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Perhaps there should be a category for those just feeling a bit of Under Par,
    now THAT's a category!

Quote Originally Posted by Chicklet View Post
    now THAT's a category!
    Well spotted! I felt that quip coming on as I wrote the post, but not being initimately aquinted with Mr UP, I restrained myself. Is he unfeasibly tall and good looking? Think I may have seen him at Stirling on Sunday.

As we are well off topic, and I am further distracted by your pic, may I be so bold as to ask is that really you? My avatar is a very good likeness I think...

Patrick

Thread Information