Thread: Freecycle

Freecycle

I can't find a thread on here that mentions it.

Completely off topic but I'm surprised it hasn't had a mention.

http://www.freecycle.org

Got stuff you don't want? Offer it up and someone may take it. Something too good for a charity shop but you don't want the bother of ebaying it? Something that is a bit too difficult to recycle but someone may find a use for? A freecycler will come and pick it up. Something you want that you don't want to pay for but it'd be nice? Maybe it'll crop up.

It works rather well in spite of being a yahoo group thing.

Things we've given away.. boxes of books, carpet offcuts.

Things we've received (recall for free!) a fridge, victorian bricks, oak planks, and today.. a 19" tft screen.

Re: Freecycle

Yeah, great isn't it! My sister told me about it ... so between ebay, charity shops, recycling and freecycling, there shouldn't be too many excuses for throwing away too much. Another forumite put me onto recycling bins here.

I live in the London Borough of Barnet who I feel must have the worst recycling in the UK. I received a letter last December which said I would be fined if they found paper in my bin. I called them up explaining that I didnt have recycling bins. I gave them my address and they said "oh no you dont have recycling in your area just ignore the letter. I then asked if we could have the recycling bins in my street and she said "no". During the run up to the local elections the MPs came round as they do knocking on doors for my vote. Labour knocked on mine First thing he said was how great the recycling is within Barnet. I explained that we didnt have any in our street. I also told him about the recycling bins that have been put out near Tescos were on a bend with double yellow lines on the road and the ones outside a primary school were also placed on yellow lines where I got a parking ticket.

At the elections I took my yellow card to the Polling station, voted and as I walked out I saw a man and said "ok what do I do with this card now" He told me to put it in my recycling bin. Then he recognised me - it was the man from the Labour Party "oh no not you again" he said. Since then he has been in touch. I have had 2 letters from the House of Commons asking me to attend meetings one yesterday and one on 12th Sept. Oh and now I also have recycling bins in my street for Paper, tins, clear glass, brown glass and green glass. We have no plastic recycling bins yet but I am working on it.

Just looked on the Freecycle website and seems there is nothing in the Borough of Barnet - why am I not suprised.

Registered User Northants Girly's Avatar

A friend of mine thought she had her ID stolen using this site.
    Quote Originally Posted by Northants Girly View Post
    It's not just eBay/Paypal users that need to be careful.

A friend of mine thinks she has just had her id stolen through using Freecycle. Someone replied to a post she had made to give something away and she gave them her home address and mobile number so they could pick it up. She never heard from them again but has since had worrying messages left on the mobile.
    Be really careful who you give out your address/telephone etc number to

Quote Originally Posted by Northants Girly View Post
    A friend of mine thought she had her ID stolen using this site.
    Be really careful who you give out your address/telephone etc number to
    Ah, that's the same for pretty much any social network. When I give stuff away on Freecycle or even collect it, I use this handle and not my real name. Mobile numbers are also used instead of the home number.

Registered User Northants Girly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Warwick View Post
    Mobile numbers are also used instead of the home number.
    It was the mobile number that was used

Quote Originally Posted by Missy D View Post
    Since then he has been in touch. I have had 2 letters from the House of Commons asking me to attend meetings one yesterday and one on 12th Sept. Oh and now I also have recycling bins in my street for Paper, tins, clear glass, brown glass and green glass. We have no plastic recycling bins yet but I am working on it..
    Well done!

I'm fortunate enough to have 3 bins, regular, recycling (paper, plastic, glass) and garden waste. I try to recycle as much as I can, take cloth bags to the supermarket to cut down on plastic ones etc. If anyone is interested I have a whole lot of 'green' tips. (I actually have a folder about it on my desk at the moment!)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    ... If anyone is interested I have a whole lot of 'green' tips. (I actually have a folder about it on my desk at the moment!)
    Yes please. Perhaps start a new thread?

Thread Information