Thread: Inspirational Quotes

Re: Inspirational Quotes

More of a poem really!

Dare to do right! Dare to be true!
    You have a future no other can do
    Do it so bravely, so kindly, so well
    Truth will hasten the future to tell.

Dare to do right! Dare to be true!
    Other Men's failures can never save you.
    Stand by your conscience and always believe
    You were born to succeed, so choose to succeed!

... on a lighter note

Behind every successful man stands a proud wife, and an astonished mother-in-law!

...more comtemplative

Offence is rarely given, often taken.

Juju

"You can lead a horticulture but you can't make her think."

Dorothy Parker

"Don't worry about art. Let the public decide if it is good or bad and while
    they are busy doing that...make more art" Andy Warhol

Blog Entries

The glass is half empty... Deal with it!

Quote Originally Posted by dance cat View Post
    Just had time to read this. It really does make you think. Thanks for posting it
    Sent my post before I'd finished-stupid child that I am. Where did you get the quote from Katie?
    Sorry its taken me so long to get back to you on this.. Ive not been on the forum for a while... this is something I have on my computer and have had for years.

I saw it ages ago and found that I could apply it to practically everyone that has come in and out of my life. It doesn't make certain situations any easier, but I find it helps to remember that that person did teach me something. Then I try and look for that something so I know the experience wasn't wasted.

When I stump up my six quid I'll use the tagline:

"Happiness is a way to travel not a destination"

Also quite liked Woody Allen's "I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it by not dying" - used that in a presentation once to my boss - he saw the funny side!

Quote Originally Posted by KatieR View Post
    Sorry its taken me so long to get back to you on this.. Ive not been on the forum for a while... this is something I have on my computer and have had for years.

I saw it ages ago and found that I could apply it to practically everyone that has come in and out of my life. It doesn't make certain situations any easier, but I find it helps to remember that that person did teach me something. Then I try and look for that something so I know the experience wasn't wasted.
    No problems for the late reply. I think it appealed to me because it suggests a reflective approach to all that you encounter through life and fits with the positive approach that I sometimes find is a little difficult to hold on to- that you can learn from all situations and to remember the positive things people bring to you.

No problems for the late reply. I think it appealed to me because it suggests a reflective approach to all that you encounter through life and fits with the positive approach that I sometimes find is a little difficult to hold on to- that you can learn from all situations and to remember the positive things people bring to you.

Yes, it is definately not always an easy thing. I think I struggle almost every day trying to stay positive.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KatieR View Post
    Yes, it is definately not always an easy thing. I think I struggle almost every day trying to stay positive.
    Maybe you need this one then...

John is the kind of guy you love to hate.

He is always in a good mood and always has something positive to say.
    When someone would ask him how he was doing, he would reply, "If I were any better, I would be twins!"

He was a natural motivator.

If an employee was having a bad day, John was there telling the employee how to look on the positive side of the situation.

Seeing this style really made me curious, so one day I went up and asked him, "I don't get it! You can't be a positive person all of the time. How do you do it?"

He replied, "Each morning I wake up and say to myself, you have two choices today. You can choose to be in a good mood or ...
    you can choose to be in a bad mood.

"I choose to be in a good mood. Each time something bad happens, I can choose to be a victim or...
    I can choose to learn from it. I choose to learn from it.

Every time someone comes to me complaining, I can choose to accept their complaining or...
    I can point out the positive side of life. I choose the positive side of life."

"Yeah, right, it's not that easy," I protested.

"Yes, it is," he said. "Life is all about choices. When you cut away all the junk, every situation is a choice. You choose how you react to situations. You choose how people affect your mood. You choose to be in a good mood or bad mood. The bottom line: It's your choice how you live your life."

I reflected on what he said. Soon hereafter, I left the Tower Industry to start my own business. We lost touch, but I often thought about him when I made a choice about life instead of reacting to it.

Several years later, I heard that he was involved in a serious accident, falling some 60 feet from a communications tower. After 18 hours of surgery and weeks of intensive care, he was released from the hospital with rods placed in his back. I saw him about six months after the accident.

When I asked him how he was, he replied, "If I were any better, I'd be twins Wanna see my scars?"

I declined to see his wounds, but I did ask him what had gone through his mind as the accident took place.

"The first thing that went through my mind was the well-being of my soon-to-be born daughter," he replied.

"Then, as I lay on the ground, I remembered that I had two choices: I could choose to live or...
    I could choose to die. I chose to live."

“Weren't you scared? Did you lose consciousness?" I asked.

He continued, "..the paramedics were great. They kept telling me I was going to be fine. But when they wheeled me into the ER and I saw the expressions on the faces of the doctors and nurses, I got really scared. In their eyes, I read 'he's a dead man.' I knew I needed to take action."

"What did you do?" I asked.

"Well, there was a big burly nurse shouting questions at me," said John. "She asked if I was allergic to anything. 'Yes, I replied.' The doctors and nurses stopped working as they waited for my reply.

I took a deep breath and yelled, 'Gravity.'"

Over their laughter, I told them, "I am choosing to live. Operate on me as if I am alive, not dead."

He lived, thanks to the skill of his doctors, but also because of his amazing attitude... I learned from him that every day we have the choice to live fully.

Attitude, after all, is everything.

Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

After all today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

You have two choices now:

01. Delete this.

02. Forward it to the people you care about.

You know the choice I made.

Blog Entries

"We all want to fall in love. Why? Because that experience makes us feel completely alive. Where every sense is heightened, every emotion is magnified, our everyday reality is shattered and we are flying into the heavens. It may only last a moment, an hour, an afternoon. But that doesn't diminish its value. Because we are left with memories that we treasure for the rest of our lives."
    -Unknown

Registered User Katie Kicks Ass's Avatar

This one is from my mum, 'If at first you don't succed, Cheat!
    From school, fel 'n ddedwydd ydy 'r hunau drwo yn bucheddu a cer am 'r farw
    So blessed are the ones through living, that go about the dead. (Don't think the translation to welsh is correct)
    Last edited by Katie Kicks Ass; 31st-December-2006 at 02:24 PM.

Commercial Operator Swinging bee's Avatar

I had the blues because I had no shoes, then on a street, I met a man with no feet! Kipling

Bit long, but I really like this

cherie carter-scott's rules of life

(Carter Scott references this quotation "Life is a succession of lessons which must be lived to be understood." (Helen Keller)

Rule One - You will receive a body. Whether you love it or hate it, it's yours for life, so accept it. What counts is what's inside.

Rule Two - You will be presented with lessons. Life is a constant learning experience, which every day provides opportunities for you to learn more. These lessons specific to you, and learning them 'is the key to discovering and fulfilling the meaning and relevance of your own life'.

Rule Three - There are no mistakes, only lessons. Your development towards wisdom is a process of experimentation, trial and error, so it's inevitable things will not always go to plan or turn out how you'd want. Compassion is the remedy for harsh judgement - of ourselves and others. Forgiveness is not only divine - it's also 'the act of erasing an emotional debt'. Behaving ethically, with integrity, and with humour - especially the ability to laugh at yourself and your own mishaps - are central to the perspective that 'mistakes' are simply lessons we must learn.

Rule Four - The lesson is repeated until learned. Lessons repeat until learned. What manifest as problems and challenges, irritations and frustrations are more lessons - they will repeat until you see them as such and learn from them. Your own awareness and your ability to change are requisites of executing this rule. Also fundamental is the acceptance that you are not a victim of fate or circumstance - 'causality' must be acknowledged; that is to say: things happen to you because of how you are and what you do. To blame anyone or anything else for your misfortunes is an escape and a denial; you yourself are responsible for you, and what happens to you. Patience is required - change doesn't happen overnight, so give change time to happen.

Rule Five - Learning does not end. While you are alive there are always lessons to be learned. Surrender to the 'rhythm of life', don't struggle against it. Commit to the process of constant learning and change - be humble enough to always acknowledge your own weaknesses, and be flexible enough to adapt from what you may be accustomed to, because rigidity will deny you the freedom of new possibilities.

Rule Six - "There" is no better than "here". The other side of the hill may be greener than your own, but being there is not the key to endless happiness. Be grateful for and enjoy what you have, and where you are on your journey. Appreciate the abundance of what's good in your life, rather than measure and amass things that do not actually lead to happiness. Living in the present helps you attain peace.

Rule Seven - Others are only mirrors of you. You love or hate something about another person according to what love or hate about yourself. Be tolerant; accept others as they are, and strive for clarity of self-awareness; strive to truly understand and have an objective perception of your own self, your thoughts and feelings. Negative experiences are opportunities to heal the wounds that you carry. Support others, and by doing so you support yourself. Where you are unable to support others it is a sign that you are not adequately attending to your own needs.

Rule Eight - What you make of your life is up to you. You have all the tools and resources you need. What you do with them is up to you. Take responsibility for yourself. Learn to let go when you cannot change things. Don't get angry about things - bitter memories clutter your mind. Courage resides in all of us - use it when you need to do what's right for you. We all possess a strong natural power and adventurous spirit, which you should draw on to embrace what lies ahead.

Rule Nine - Your answers lie inside of you. Trust your instincts and your innermost feelings, whether you hear them as a little voice or a flash of inspiration. Listen to feelings as well as sounds. Look, listen, and trust. Draw on your natural inspiration.

Rule Ten - You will forget all this at birth. We are all born with all of these capabilities - our early experiences lead us into a physical world, away from our spiritual selves, so that we become doubtful, cynical and lacking belief and confidence. The ten Rules are not commandments, they are universal truths that apply to us all. When you lose your way, call upon them. Have faith in the strength of your spirit. Aspire to be wise - wisdom the ultimate path of your life, and it knows no limits other than those you impose on yourself.

apologies if tghis has been posted before......

The man in the glass

When you get what you want in your struggle for self,
    And the world makes you King for a day,
    Then go to the mirror and look at yourself,
    And see what that guy has to say.

For it isn't your Father, or Mother, or Wife,
    Who judgement upon you must pass.
    The feller whose verdict counts most in your life
    Is the guy staring back from the glass.

He's the feller to please, never mind all the rest,
    For he's with you clear up to the end,
    And you've passed your most dangerous, difficult test
    If the guy in the glass is your friend.

You may be like Jack Horner and "chisel" a plum,
    And think you're a wonderful guy,
    But the man in the glass says you're only a bum
    If you can't look him straight in the eye.

You can fool the whole world down the pathway of years,
    And get pats on the back as you pass,
    But your final reward will be heartaches and tears
    If you've cheated the guy in the glass.

the last verse is my favourite....

'Fools and fanatics always seem certain of themselves, wise people are full of doubts.'

Love many
    Trust few
    Learn to paddle your own canoe

Found on a bottle of cheap cider while drunk and I still remember it after all those years!

I had the blues because I had no shoes, then on a street ,I met a man with no feet!

"Be happy while you're living, for you're a long time dead."

No one will ever remember you for your housework.

Get out there and dance.

Three things can not hide for long:
    the sun, the moon and the Truth"
    Siddartha

Thread Information